Restaurants, retail and other businesses near campus

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Restaurants, retail and other businesses near campus

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:31 am

Thought I would start a thread about business enterprises operating in the vicinity of campus. Here's a link to a nice article about "Good Cakes and Bakes" -- a bakery in the Live6 area that wasn't on my radar:

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Detroit-Opport ... -and-Bakes

Next year, perhaps UDM can have a Live6 basketball promotion. For a select game, we could invite neighborhood businesses to set up informational tables in Calihan Hall, have contests or drawings with gift certificates from area restaurants and retailers, provide deep-discount ticket flyers for businesses to offer their customers, use video scoreboard to highlight merchants, invite Gesu parishioners and school kids, pre- or post-game gathering at Baker's Keyboard Lounge, etc.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Restaurants, retail and other businesses near campus

Postby AmenBrother » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 pm

Enjoyed a dinner at Rosie O'Grady's in Ferndale. To be exact it is only 3 miles door to door from Rosie O Gradys to Calihan Hall. I was saddened to see some new motif in the restaurant that featured UM, MSU, OU and Wayne State. I did not see any UDM logo. Sad.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Kind of like the BW3 at 12 Mile and Mound Rd that has a pennant up for EVERY local school except UDM? They do, however, have a University of Dayton pennant swinging up there that I'm fairly certain they thought was University of Detroit. Embarassing. I've complained to staff on numerous occasions about that. Perhaps I should hand deliver one from the school bookstore in the near future?
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:55 am

udballer wrote:Kind of like the BW3 at 12 Mile and Mound Rd that has a pennant up for EVERY local school except UDM? They do, however, have a University of Dayton pennant swinging up there that I'm fairly certain they thought was University of Detroit. Embarassing. I've complained to staff on numerous occasions about that. Perhaps I should hand deliver one from the school bookstore in the near future?

Actually I am pretty sure they know it is the University of Dayton. The owner of some of the Metro Detroit area BW3's is either a grad or has affiliation with Dayton.

I think a simple way to promote is by having someone do some hustling and make sure that local area businesses display our logo's, flags, photo's etc. Although maybe not out of the realm of possibility, I suspect the AD department expects us to buy the stuff to put up at places where we see they don't have something. As an example my daughters middle school has every team logo just about in the state...except U of D. It may not have a huge impact, but when kids are deciding where to go to school in the future, if it isn't at all top of mind they will be less likely to attend.
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:49 am

it has an impact.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:30 pm

That does it. I'm grabbing a bunch of UDM pennants and righting some wrongs around this city.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:42 am

udballer wrote:That does it. I'm grabbing a bunch of UDM pennants and righting some wrongs around this city.

Make sure they just say Detroit please
titanmike
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 am

The University of Detroit Mercy Senior Class is having a party at Rosie O'Gradys next week and they are taking some UDM stuff with the hopes management will keep it on display.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Lets hope it says Titans.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Students: Hello, sir. We brought some UDM pennants you can display on your walls.
Owner: What is UDM?
Students: The University of Detroit Mercy
Owner: Mercy, what?
Students: No, that's the full name. The University of Detroit - MERCY!
Owner: Oh. OK. So, now they are the Detroit Mercy Titans?
Students: No! Never refer to us as the Detroit Mercy Titans, that is not correct.
Owner: But I thought you were Detroit Mercy now?
Students: Yes. The university is now the University of Detroit Mercy, but our athletics teams are simply the Detroit Titans.
Owner: That is confusing.
Students: So, will you display this University of Detroit Mercy pennant? To show your support of the Titans?
Owner: Get the hell out of here.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 pm

That about sums it up, I hope they don't say 'hell" though. Our University of Detroit Mercy Students will be tarnished for life.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:54 pm

Nice story in Crain's Detroit Business about Kuzzo's, a Livernois restaurant celebrating its one-year anniversary. Need to check it out one of these days for lunch, maybe when it gets warmer:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... -thrive-in
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:14 am

Yes, the article states Kuzzos did over $2M in sales the first year and has hired over 50 people. If a Waffle house can do that in the UDM neighborhood, imagine a Buddy's like restaurant. They could do $4M per year....or how about a TitanMike Brewery!
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 am

AmenBrother wrote:Yes, the article states Kuzzos did over $2M in sales the first year and has hired over 50 people. If a Waffle house can do that in the UDM neighborhood, imagine a Buddy's like restaurant. They could do $4M per year....or how about a TitanMike Brewery!

I want to, just need to get the financing!!
titanmike
Senior

Postby AmenBrother » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:57 am

I hope somebody takes over that former Rite Aid at the northwest corner of Livernois and 7 MIle. It would seem to make a nice restaurant location with parking shared with Mikes Supermarket.
AmenBrother
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:36 am

Hillary Clinton grabs some chicken in the UDM hood:

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/144 ... tvA3PA8KrU
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 am

Another restaurant coming. Sounds like a Green Dot Stables kind of place. That stretch has some good eats.

Slyde, a fast-casual slider restaurant will take up residence in a portion of the old Hunter's Supper Club building this year.

The restaurant will serve around 15 different mini burgers ranging from $2 to $3.50. Additionally, the menu will feature seasonal salads, organic soups, desserts, and side dishes like air-baked fries. "Everything is going to be locally sourced and we're trying to get as close to farm-to-table as we can," he says. "We don't want a lot of stuff sitting around in freezers."

http://detroit.eater.com/2016/3/30/1133 ... upper-club
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:08 pm

tried kuzzo's last week. good food pleasant atmosphere. i had the chicken.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Avenue International Kitchen is the latest restaurant addition to the Live6 area:

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archive ... of-fashion
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:13 pm

An item on the Live6 Facebook page indicates that "Motor City Brewing Works is joining new slider restaurant, Slyde in the Hunter Supper Club building in the Avenue of Fashion." MCBW currently has a location in Midtown near the Wayne State campus.
Rogobob77
Senior

Next

Return to General