Enrollment, Branding and Housing Update

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Enrollment, Branding and Housing Update

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:48 am

Heard from a University official on Friday that the school's udmercy.edu website is being completely revamped, improvements should be rolled out in early 2017. This is apart from the DetroitTitans.com website that is separately administered.

Also heard that the new housing is still expected to happen, but there are various bureaucratic hoops to jump through and this is on a somewhat slower track than original hoped for.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:22 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Hard to imagine we could always wear "Titans" uniforms. You're going to need to put your school name on the jersey sometimes, especially for road games. It sounds to me like we are rebranding as Detroit Mercy. While I wish we were legally changing everything back to UD, if we are going to do this then let's do this right. "Detroit Mercy" above player's number is the best option.

FWIW, saw photos on Twitter today showing the new uniforms for men's lacrosse -- it's "Titans" on both the red and white jerseys, practice jerseys too.

A recent comment about the branding from a neutral observer on the UIC messageboard: "Btw, I found it odd that they want 'Mercy' in their name."

Oakland's messageboard refers to the team as the "please have Mercy on us Titans."

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when branding options were discussed in the focus groups led by the Simpson Scarborough consultants.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby TitanSteve » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 am

The Mickey Mouse marketing and sales team continues.....
TitanSteve
Site Admin

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm

more comments about using Detroit Mercy instead of University of Detroit:

1. "Did the Jesuits give up the school?" - first thing my 97 year old mother said when I told her. She grew up in Gesu parish.

2. "Detroit Mercy sounds like a name for a hospital than a school." - architect/ business owner

3. "I'm not going to another basketball game until they drop Mercy from our name." - former season ticketholder

There you have it.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:more comments about using Detroit Mercy instead of University of Detroit:

1. "Did the Jesuits give up the school?" - first thing my 97 year old mother said when I told her. She grew up in Gesu parish.

2. "Detroit Mercy sounds like a name for a hospital than a school." - architect/ business owner

3. "I'm not going to another basketball game until they drop Mercy from our name." - former season ticketholder

There you have it.

That's all good and well but we just spent a million plus to decide to embrace mercy. We have a new logo, committed this at a public level, and if Garibaldi couldn't (or didn't want to change) in 2016 then it will never happen. Universities move slow and are adverse to change. We are never going back to UD - so just embrace it the best you can.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am

its not about us embracing it tacitus..its about the public and fortunately or unfortunately our administration is spitting into the wind. we all know what happens when you do that....most people only need to do it once. for others it takes longer.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:30 pm

The SEIU janitors union like the new branding tagline. Their Facebook post today says "Janitors want to 'Build a Boundless Future' too at University of Detroit Mercy. Will you help?" They are not totally on board with the new branding requirements, however, inserting a hyphen in the full school name in their website pitch and also employing the forbidden "UDM" abbreviation:

http://1.seiu.org/page/s/i-stand-with-u ... -janitors-
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:53 pm

Six months post-rollout, it seems to me that "Detroit Mercy" is starting to take root, but I just don't see any fading in the use of "UDM" which is suppose to be forbidden based on the University's guidelines. A direct quote from style guide: "All materials must use the brand name, DETROIT MERCY. The University no longer uses the acronym 'UDM'").

The University is the biggest violator its own branding policy. Specific examples:

Just today I received an e-mail from the "UDM Theatre Company." You can buy tickets for the upcoming performance by going to "www.UDMarts.com."

The current Twitter feed includes messages from "UDM Ministry," "UDM Softball," "UDM Section 313," "Varsity News UDM," "UDM Librarian," "1stGenUDM," "UDM Law Review," "UDM Dining Services," etc.

The homepage for the school's Alumni Community has multiple references to "UDM."

The homepage for University HR/employment uses "UDM" on the menu bar and in the text of several posted job announcements.

When I stroll through campus, most every bulletin board has "UDM' old logo material posted.

This week's "CampusConnection" electronic newsletter has a feature article about a "UDMcast" pertaining to the "UDM Dental School."

We're still "UDM" on several Facebook sites, a link to one of many examples to be found:

https://www.facebook.com/udminstitute/

The Public Safety vehicles that patrol campus have "UDM" prominently displayed on the door panels (perhaps the University can be given a pass on this particular item since there may be considerable cost in updating these graphics).

According to an announcement from Athletics sent out this week, info on the Titan summer basketball camp can be found at "www.udmbasketballcamps.com." The registration form to sign up for this program includes "UDM" references; make checks payable to "UDM Athletics."

What does the local media call us? Recent articles from the Detroit News:

http://www.detroitnews.com/search/udm/

Detroit Free Press recent articles:

http://www.freep.com/search/udm/

Not sure what to make of all this, other than to say I think that the University most certainly will continue to be referenced by use of initials.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Garibaldi's leadership has left the university branding FUBAR. There are some initials for ya. That's what happens when you have a president who probably goes home at 5pm and goes to sleep. Give me a break.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Tactics,
He's not perfect,but that comment is beneath you.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Watching a couple Tigers games on TV this season, I noticed that the University has again contracted for a spot on the prominent rotating signage behind home plate. You can't miss it when watching each pitch to the batter, which is great. The new logo is to the left of the blue background panel, and the school name fills most of the remaining space. Underneath the red-lettered "Detroit Mercy" in smaller font is the rather generic "Excellent Academics" that every college out there claims. I was surprised the school's sign didn't instead use the "Building Boundless Futures" tag line that I thought would be promoted as part of our branding campaign.
Rogobob77
Senior

Previous

Return to General