New Downtown Arena and Entertainment District

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

New Downtown Arena and Entertainment District

Postby ExcitedTitan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm

The much talked about and much anticipated Ilitch development around the Fox may be getting close. This would include a new hockey arena.

http://www.freep.com/article/20121204/N ... t-district

Tom Gores has said he is not opposed to moving the Pistons downtown. How cool would it be to have the Wings, Tigers, Lions and Pistons all in the same area - but not too close for when they play the same days.

While I think Cobo was a mistake since Calihan is such a great venue, it would be cool to see some Titan games in a new facility in this area - if the area turns out as planned. It would make game days a lot more fun and we would be able to draw a lot more people if we can have dinner, bars, shopping, etc within walking distance of the arena. I wouldn't want all games there, but a few games a year would be fun for the non-spectator part of the experience since there is no better spectator arena than the Hall.

Having an area like this can't hurt recruiting (students and student-athletes) either since Detroit does not a central entertainment center/area, let alone a vibrant one. I am imagining something like Inner Harbor Baltimore, downtown Indianapolis, or similar areas.

Your thoughts?
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Re: New Downtown Arena and Entertainment District

Postby MooseGuy1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:41 pm

ET, a lot of what you say makes sense. The casual fan might come to a game at a location like downtown and then catch the bug and become team followers. But I have to tell you, for me, Calihan Hall is a big attraction. I really like the atmosphere, the closeness to the game, all of it. I prefer games at the Hall. But if a home game between say the Titans and another state school were held downtown and that succeeded in attracting new fans to the program--fans that would come to Calihan for other games--then I'd be all for it. It would have the feel of a tournament game and create a buzz I think.

But if it ultimately led to all home games downtown I'd be very disappointed.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: New Downtown Arena and Entertainment District

Postby titanmac » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:44 pm

don't even start et. its a slippery slope that has never worked for us.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to General