Sunny Jones let go

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Sunny Jones let go

Postby ExcitedTitan » Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm surprised the softball team hasn't been more competitive.
University of Detroit Mercy Associate Vice President and Athletic Director Keri Gaither announced on Thursday afternoon that the contract of head softball coach Sunny Jones will not be renewed after a disappointing 10-41 season.

“We would like to thank Coach Jones for her commitment over the past three seasons, but I feel that we need to head into a different direction with our softball program,” said Gaither. “The expectation is to compete consistently in the top half of the conference and contend for championships.”

Jones completed her third season at the helm of the softball program in 2012 and leaves with a career mark of 20-117. She increased her wins in each of her three seasons, culminating with 10 victories this past year.

Under her guidance, Sara Cupp made the Horizon League All-Newcomer Team in 2011 and put her name amongst the Titan leaders for a single season this past year as the sophomore totaled 33 RBI – tied for fourth in school history – and nine home runs – third in the school record book.

Off the field, Cupp was named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-District ® Softball Team, while 13 players earned NFCA Scholar-Athlete honors.

Jones came to UDM after three years as an assistant at the University of Toledo. She also served as an assistant coach at Hillsdale College (2004-06) and Concordia (2002-04).

The team was informed of the change in the coaching staff on Thursday. A national search for her successor will begin immediately.

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2012/ ... 20641.aspx
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Re: Sunny Jones let go

Postby ExcitedTitan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:43 am

ExcitedTitan
Senior

Re: Sunny Jones let go

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

i wouldn't be surprised tot he extent those leaving were bob's recruits. changing a culture of losing is difficult and there is always at least some discontent with existing players playing under a new coach. i think just based on her record i would have given her another year or two. course i have no idea what she may have done to aggravate the wrong people.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Return to General