New Detroit Mercy website

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

New Detroit Mercy website

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:14 am

Heard today that the new University website will be launched on February 28.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: New Detroit Mercy website

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm

It's up: http://www.udmercy.edu/ Best viewed right now from a PC. Some bugs when accessing from a mobile device like my iPhone -- the menu bar doesn't work and the main display (which is suppose to rotate key branding themes every few seconds) is also not functioning.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 pm

It looks good, but it has some bugs. In the "About" section, the text reads as if the Jesuits founded U-D in 1941.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 pm

The new website is pretty much what I expected. I'd give it a C, so at least it matches just about everything else they do on 6 Mile. The "Detroit Mercy is Students Section" in the middle of the front page was a good idea. I get what they were trying to do: showcase current students that prospective students could relate to. If I've learned anything, it's that telling powerful stories in a clean and creative way can really help with both admissions and giving. It was a great idea, but unfortunately it was executed very poorly. I'm talking F- High School quality WTF!? poorly. The videos were all about 9 seconds long and it was just students reading scripted bullet points. The video was bad (shot on an iPhone?) and the audio was so poor that I cringed. Compare our videos on YouTube to places like Dayton, Gonzaga, similar schools. We are decades behind. Such a joke.

We don't attract top students. We don't tell stories well. The rebrand is not working. The official Fulbright numbers came out last week and, yet again, we produced zero. Another goose egg to add to our history of not achieving excellence and not serving our kids. It's a shame because Detroit Mercy has potential but lacks smart leaders who can execute and get things done. #truth
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

This is a message that went to the University community yesterday:

Welcome to the new Detroit Mercy website!

Today marks the launch of the University's new mobile-responsive website. The project focused on creating content, design and information architecture strategies that would enhance the user experience and advance the University's enrollment and fundraising goals. Some benefits of the new site include:

•a design that functions on all mobile devices
•well-organized, more intuitive navigation
•a sleeker, modern look, with larger images
•streamlined and updated content that reflects the Detroit Mercy experience
•enhanced social media interaction

With flexibility of the site design, content will be continuously developing. So look for new additions in content and functionality in the coming weeks.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:The new website is pretty much what I expected. I'd give it a C, so at least it matches just about everything else they do on 6 Mile. The "Detroit Mercy is Students Section" in the middle of the front page was a good idea. I get what they were trying to do: showcase current students that prospective students could relate to. If I've learned anything, it's that telling powerful stories in a clean and creative way can really help with both admissions and giving. It was a great idea, but unfortunately it was executed very poorly. I'm talking F- High School quality WTF!? poorly. The videos were all about 9 seconds long and it was just students reading scripted bullet points. The video was bad (shot on an iPhone?) and the audio was so poor that I cringed. Compare our videos on YouTube to places like Dayton, Gonzaga, similar schools. We are decades behind. Such a joke.

We don't attract top students. We don't tell stories well. The rebrand is not working. The official Fulbright numbers came out last week and, yet again, we produced zero. Another goose egg to add to our history of not achieving excellence and not serving our kids. It's a shame because Detroit Mercy has potential but lacks smart leaders who can execute and get things done. #truth

Taci, how do you figure that we don't attract top students in the state? The GPA and ACT numbers for our students are one of the highest in the state UofM is only one I know that has better numbers for sure, as far as mediocrity, our business school is tied in ranking with Cornell and one spot ahead of Yale in the top 20 and is second best in the state. Sorry the school is using their limited resources elsewhere to improve the school instead of videography. Also in years past as recently as last year Lori McDonald was a fullbright. There are 4500+ fullbright scholarships awarded to eligible institutions every year in more than 100 countries, now the US does get a lion share but considering those numbers it is not unheard of good institutions not getting any on a given year, for example the school you use as an example Dayton and Gonzaga had no Fullbright awardees in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 academic years, but I am glad their youtube videos look nice to you. The resources that we have at the school they do a phenomenal job. I know you work for another school, it is hard when you are comparing apples and oranges. There is a lot to be done that needs to be addressed, I am involved with the University and the youtube vidoes are not anywhere at the top the priority list and they shouldn't be. You are right the video is amateurish but do not attack academic excellence we are the second best school in the state, that is impressive with the resources that we achieve that with and the quality of students we attract. I agree that branding was not rolled out perfectly and I am sorry you do not like the logo, but we do a great job with the resources we have maybe not on serving our kids, but definitely educating them and getting them degrees that get them hired in their field. What you said is a Joke! #realtruth

PS. Get to know your school a little better before spreading garbage around!
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:17 pm

I'd love to see the b-school rank you are referring to. Link?

Regarding Fulbright. There are 2 main buckets for the awards. There's the Fulbright Scholar program for faculty and professionals, and there is the student program for recent graduates. You are only looking at the directory for the former. The directory for the student program can be found here: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/component/filter/

Fact is Gonzaga IS producing Fulbrighters, even in the years you referred to! Other schools doing very well and punching well above their weight include Dayton and Portland. If you don't believe me then look it up. We produce ZERO on the student side which can only indicate we have poor leadership and that Detroit Mercy is not going the extra mile for its kids. This is antithetical to our mission and it's personally not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

PS: Actually learn what you are taking about before lecturing me on something I'm an expert in.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 pm

And I'll add that we lose to Oakland in both directories by a wide margin. This is what we've become.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I'd love to see the b-school rank you are referring to. Link?

Regarding Fulbright. There are 2 main buckets for the awards. There's the Fulbright Scholar program for faculty and professionals, and there is the student program for recent graduates. You are only looking at the directory for the former. The directory for the student program can be found here: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/component/filter/

Fact is Gonzaga IS producing Fulbrighters, even in the years you referred to! Other schools doing very well and punching well above their weight include Dayton and Portland. If you don't believe me then look it up. We produce ZERO on the student side which can only indicate we have poor leadership and that Detroit Mercy is not going the extra mile for its kids. This is antithetical to our mission and it's personally not good enough as far as I'm concerned.

PS: Actually learn what you are taking about before lecturing me on something I'm an expert in.

First of there is misunderstanding what Fulbright scholars we are talking about here, by faculty measure we are doing well, you are right about the student Fulbright Scholars, but that cannot be the only criteria to measure students by. I am a faculty member at Detroit Mercy and can tell you its something I will point out at a meeting and find out why this is the case, but lets do the math where you are bashing us in the faculty directory they have 5 Fulbright Scholars we have 2, they have 4 times as many faculty members, I am sure you can do percentages, so you are once again comparing apples to oranges. Also Dayton only had 2 faculty member scholars so I guess we are in good company according to your comparison, especially since they have more than double the faculty members. We do a better job of educating our students than Oakland. We are ranked second in many of our programs in the state,

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-detroit-mercy-2323/overall-rankings

http://business.udmercy.edu/index.php

We are ranked 19th nationally in undergraduate business management by them and 16th nationally in graduate management degree. We ranked 24th Regionally in the Midwest, what would the other schools rank on your expert list? Second in both categories in the state and top 20 nationally, sure you are an expert in Fullbright scholar directory, I thought you were talking about faculty but we are not a mediocre school, what we accomplish and what our students accomplish is impressive especially with the budget we have!

Having more Fulbright scholar students is a valid point but to use one category to declare the school mediocre is a Joke of an evaluation process and hurts the school that you supposedly care about by making statements like you did!
PS Actually get to know your school, I am an expert on Detroit Mercy so don't lecture me on the school!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Mik, I respect your opinion. You're clearly a smart guy who cares about the school. But, your original response to my post said that our "business school" is tied with Cornell. That's simply NOT true and when I asked for a link you provided a link to the Management program ranking. I myself have an MSc in Management (not from UDM) and adjunct teach business school classes. You and I both know that what you said is misleading largely because MANY b-schools don't offer Management programs. The more accurate rankings for business schools are the US News (UDM is 24th regionally) and Bloomberg (UDM is not ranked and Cornell is 16). If you look at MBA rankings then Cornell is 14 and UDM is not ranked (matching the basketball team!). I think UDM b-school is fine, but let's not take one Management ranking and say we are on par with Cornell.

Maybe our number of Fulbright students isn't an all inclusive indicator on the success of UDM, but I'd submit it's as good a place to start as any. Again, if you go to the student directory and search, UDM churns out a zero. That's sad and honestly embarrassing. That's not for just last year, that's as far as the online directory goes!

Again, Portland punches WAY above their weight. http://www.chronicle.com/article/Top-Pr ... ght/239220

I know the former President there. They've been doing this well for years because of his leadership. I asked him how he did it. He made it a priority and publicly declared they were going to compete, and they invested the time in their students to put quality shots on goal. I hope you do bring this up at a meeting. I'd honestly like to know what the hell is going on, because it doesn't take a lot of money to compete in this space. Every university has an official Fulbright adviser. I'd suggest that the one at UDM isn't performing and that the leadership should appoint someone to get the job done. Leadership matters.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Tacitus,I know you are smart and I respect your opinion about Garibaldi but not your statement that the school is mediocre! I never claimed the school as a whole is at the level of Cornell, I was talking about an area as an example. The business school as a whole is ranked second in the state, the undergraduate management program and graduate program are ranked by US News where I said they are ranked, in the mix with Ivy league Schools, say what ever you want but that means we provide quality education on same level as those schools to our students in management. The 24th regionally is an overall ranking which we have been top tier in Midewest for the last 15 years. We have other programs that are very well ranked nationally, so calling us as a school mediocre or the students is insulting from someone that clearly needs to be told what we are ranked at in what category, shows you do not know the school all that well. Our Business Program as a whole is #2 in the state (look it up), with some of the programs in it ranking nationally, nothing misleading there. I get you don't like the President, that's fine and you can use these statements as a failure in leadership, sure, but to call the school mediocre because of one stat line is sad. I can also make a case that there are tons of stats that reflect positively on the leadership of the University, which you did not make the claim the leadership was mediocre, you called the "school mediocre" that does not attract top students, thus indicating that individuals like myself, my colleagues and friends that teach there are mediocre. It annoys me when people make statements like you did without knowing the subject, which is the level of success of our students or our institution academically, say all you want about the President but lets not make silly conclusions or statements based on that one statistic about the school or the students that could be harmful to its reputation, especially coming from an expert. If you care about this school at all, which I think you do, as an expert maybe be more careful in how you phrase your opinion. No school is perfect in every category and no school is without some issues! You want to debate about Garibaldi we can but whatever you think of him it doesn't change the fact that academically we are one of the top schools in the state with many of our programs ranked at the top, we attract some of the top students in the state based on the ACT and GPA averages, which I think should be looked at as well when it comes to quality of student along with the Fulbright stats.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Perhaps I used harsh language. I don't mean to suggest that every staff and faculty member is bad. Heck, I know that's not true because I was a work study student at UDM. I still have contacts there truth be told. I know there are good people, but no matter how you slice it, it is disappointing to see the school lay a goose egg year after year for the Fulbright student metrics. Anyone in higher ed who says those numbers aren't important is lying to you (I know you're not saying they aren't important). I'd suggest that based on what you say (UDM attracting quality students) that laying the goose egg is even worse because we have the talent base but we're not providing for our students.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:27 pm

UDmik2008 vs. Tacitus651=Draw
After multiple rounds of post sparring this bout is declared a majority decision draw. You two were going back and forth, it was like Ali vs. Frazier, Hearns vs. Leonard. You both make excellent points, and are great examples of the type of students UDM/UofD produces. Tacitus I am not sure what you do, but Mik alluded to the fact that you work in higher education in some capacity. I can tell that you know what you speak, I don't know what your situation is, but it sounds like you have a great ideals that what be helpful to UDM. I have also been extremely impressed by UDMik2008, with you two guys and the other posters on the board like MCSam,Commish,UDballer,Rogo, I think UDM is in good hands. I enjoyed this thread, and learned a lot.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks, R.B.J1. I'm proud of my draw with Mik because he's one hell of a smart guy. Also, he's more involved than me. He is trying to help out, and my lazy butt has not been on campus since they gave me my degree in '08. We both want what's best for UDM but have different views.

As to what I do, I'm a Higher Ed obsessed freak to be honest. I work in fundraising for the greatest university in the world (the one with the football team that wears gold helmets). I also enjoy the conversations on this board, and I've had great private conversations as well.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:13 am

theroundsquare wrote:It looks good, but it has some bugs. In the "About" section, the text reads as if the Jesuits founded U-D in 1941.

I sent an email to the webmaster tonight suggesting that they may want to correct the date to 1877. Found this glaring error troublesome given that it appears in the "About" section, a common page visitors would check out when navigating the website. I also noticed that the paragraph uses a parenthetical "(Jesuits)" following "Society of Jesus" in successive sentences which seems redundant.

On a different point, the lead page for Alumni Relations has three "UDM" references, an abbreviation specifically "forbidden" by University branding guidelines. It's six months into the "Detroit Mercy" rollout, so I wonder how this continues to happen.

Rotating graphics and the menu bars and search tools still don't work on my iPad and iPhone.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 am

I appreciate it Tacitus and RB but I think its a win for the university to have alumni like you guys care about the school. I think most of the people on this board care about the school and it is always fun to spar with someone like Tacitus that knows his stuff! He keeps me on my toes!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
theroundsquare wrote:It looks good, but it has some bugs. In the "About" section, the text reads as if the Jesuits founded U-D in 1941.

I sent an email to the webmaster tonight suggesting that they may want to correct the date to 1877. Found this glaring error troublesome given that it appears in the "About" section, a common page visitors would check out when navigating the website. I also noticed that the paragraph uses a parenthetical "(Jesuits)" following "Society of Jesus" in successive sentences which seems redundant.

On a different point, the lead page for Alumni Relations has three "UDM" references, an abbreviation specifically "forbidden" by University branding guidelines. It's six months into the "Detroit Mercy" rollout, so I wonder how this continues to happen.

Rotating graphics and the menu bars and search tools still don't work on my iPad and iPhone.

The "About" page has been fixed.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Dick Vitale » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:04 am

The new site is a huge improvement. Wondered if anyone knows if detroittitans.com was going to change its look.
Dick Vitale
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm

Detroit Mercy Law's home page, slightly different look:

http://lawschool.udmercy.edu/index.php

And here's the link for Detroit Mercy Dental:

https://dental.udmercy.edu/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:It's up: http://www.udmercy.edu/ Best viewed right now from a PC. Some bugs when accessing from a mobile device like my iPhone -- the menu bar doesn't work and the main display (which is suppose to rotate key branding themes every few seconds) is also not functioning.

Still can't get the new udmercy.edu website to work correctly with the Safari web browser on my iPhone and iPad. There were issues with how graphics displayed, menu bars didn't work, the search box feature wasn't functioning, etc. I was told today in an email from an IT person at Detroit Mercy this that they are still working on a fix to the problem. I switched to a different browser (FireFox) yesterday and now I have have no problem with functionality on the main website. However, when I use FireFox on the DetroitTitans.com site, some of the menu options aren't accessable. Oh well, I tried.
Rogobob77
Senior

Return to General