Loyola-Chicago develops junior college extension

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Loyola-Chicago develops junior college extension

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 am

Interesting concept, wonder if this could work in Detroit:

http://jesuitsmidwest.org/story?TN=PROJ ... 0213094030
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Loyola-Chicago develops junior college extension

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:24 am

I've been following this closely. St. Thomas (MN) has a very similar college that opens this fall if you're interested in reading up on that. I don't think Detroit Mercy has the capacity for this. St. Thomas is launching their junior college with a very generous endowed gift. Loyola is very creative in how they are funding this, and they (unlike us) have institutional wealth to absorb some of the costs. FYI, Loyola is funding this largely by keeping credit costs low (mostly adjuncts teach or very low paid full time instructors) and employing advisors to make sure Arrupe students receive every government grant and private scholarship possible. But, advisors still cost money. A dean and administrators still cost some money.

It's a cool idea but we can't lift something this heavy and do it right. It's really a shame how catholic Higher Ed evolved the past 40 years. All the 2 year schools folded or became 4 years with very high tuition (Rudy Ruettiger went to Holy Cross and even they are a 4 year now). Most of the 4 year schools became "universities." They really aren't universities for the most part (I'd argue there are about 5 actual catholic schools who are legitimate universities). The bulk of these institutions call themselves universities and the cost skyrockets due to expansion and bloated payroll.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for the insight Tacitus. Relative to Detroit, I think there is probably a greater need for Jesuit or other Catholic schools at the high school level. Loyola Academy currently serves at-risk students in the D, but there probably should be several more such schools that would be alternatives to the public institutions and charters.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Thanks for the insight Tacitus. Relative to Detroit, I think there is probably a greater need for Jesuit or other Catholic schools at the high school level. Loyola Academy currently serves at-risk students in the D, but there probably should be several more such schools that would be alternatives to the public institutions and charters.

Agreed! The good news is, things are about to change real fast regarding school choice. There will be private schools popping up in The D so fast it'll make your head spin. Believe me.
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to General