Grading Garibaldi

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Grading Garibaldi

A
7%
B
43%
C
14%
D
21%
F
14%

Total votes : 14

Grading Garibaldi

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:59 am

Garibaldi became university president on July 1, 2011. His inauguration, appropriately, took place on Friday the 13th the following April. He is the first lay president for Detroit, Mercy. The 2014 990 says that we pay him over $495,000 per year.

Highlights include:

Waiting 5 years to rebrand the university
Spending $1M on said rebrand, including a logo from a firm in PA
Unveiling the new logo with a shaky iPhone on Facebook

Consider the opportunity cost. We could save the vast majority of that half million dollar salary and have a priest do the job much better. Many priests serve as university presidents and take no salary. We should be paying a priest to do this job, and paying for his health insurance, living quarters, and discretionary funds for him to travel and host guests. Period. Even if lay presidents CAN be successful, we don't have the resources for this. I'm sure there are many jesuits who would love such an opportunity. The trustees cannot repeat this mistake.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Grading Garibaldi

Postby NC Titan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Let's not forget his other screw-ups.

Doubled the school endowment, plus a $3 million gift in recent weeks.
Increasing enrollment.
Maintaining high academic rankings.
Student Fitness Center.
Neighborhood improvements (for example: lights on Livernois, planned new student apartments)
New school entrance off McNichols.

Yep, total disaster.
RIP Titan Reggie #DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurTurnOurCity #RememberTheTitans
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:54 pm

I don't understand an F. Even if you don't care for his leadership style,it's hard to deny the positive changes over the last few years. Campus entrance looks good. Rec building, full dorms, building addition for physicians assistants are campus improvements. Fund raising advancements including efforts to reach out to alumni who have been neglected for years. Positioning the University for a major capital campaign has been effective considering how we had fallen. Those are just some of the pluses.

I don't like everything and have voiced those thoughts, but I have no problem with a B grade. I certainly don't lay all the re_branding on him. I think, with no proof, the Trustees did not adopt his recommendations. I wonder how often that has happened.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 pm

A B sounds fair. Chuck and Hank are pretty well brilliant and know the inner workings of the university so I defer to their judgment on this one. I do not know enough about the quality of President Garibaldi as a leader to issue a failing grade, so I trust their opinions on the matter. That said, I do not think that Tacitus is being a provocateur but is sincere in his desire to see a priest as the president. It makes a certain sense to me as well. My gut feeling is that a priest would see the position as a "calling" from God and that would be a huge incentive to succeed, more so even than money. Despite the current disparagement of true people of Christian faith in the media and culture, my experience with them suggests that those who, through prayer and study, sense a higher calling are truly remarkable people, capable of great things. In the main, I look up to them as examples for me to follow. So, although I have no gripe with President Garibaldi, I'm open to Tacitus' suggestion.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Garibaldi became university president on July 1, 2011. His inauguration, appropriately, took place on Friday the 13th the following April. He is the first lay president for Detroit, Mercy. The 2014 990 says that we pay him over $495,000 per year.

Highlights include:

Waiting 5 years to rebrand the university
Spending $1M on said rebrand, including a logo from a firm in PA
Unveiling the new logo with a shaky iPhone on Facebook

Consider the opportunity cost. We could save the vast majority of that half million dollar salary and have a priest do the job much better. Many priests serve as university presidents and take no salary. We should be paying a priest to do this job, and paying for his health insurance, living quarters, and discretionary funds for him to travel and host guests. Period. Even if lay presidents CAN be successful, we don't have the resources for this. I'm sure there are many jesuits who would love such an opportunity. The trustees cannot repeat this mistake.

Good Point. The rebranding is a failure. Back to UofD

If you think it was all his choice, shame on you.
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm

B. I see positive momentum in the direction the University is heading. NCT listed some good things and I am also very much encouraged by the collaboration I am seeing between the University and the City of Detroit. I don't like the re-branding, and I think going back to U of D would make the most sense, but I don't think that was totally a President G decision.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 pm

If the only thing of his leadership you know is what you've seen on the brand rollout, then I'd suggest its but one of a many data points and decisions (good, average, poor) he has been part of. Thank you NCT for trying to lend some additional aspects of his Presidency to the discussion. The leadership team is slowly turning over in parts of the university, likely from his prodding. The professional schools are generally doing well and improving under his watch, although as I understand it law schools across the board are all seeing falls in interest.

As I've said in another post, some of what he's hamstrung by is the lack of serious aspirations for the university that comes from the Jesuits and Sisters for whatever reason. There's a status quo that is acceptable that has led to the treading of water on some fronts with the university. Also, its up to them to ensure that the Mission of the university is in tact, lay person, Jesuit or sister leading the school. If we were straying from that mission, the Board would look to make a change. There's no hard and fast rule that says a lay person can't be a great leader at a catholic institution. Pres Garibaldi is indeed a good man and wants good things for the school. His efforts to get us tied more into the city, with the Mayor's office, and into the neighborhood is a significant positive in my view and could ultimately pay tremendous dividends.

My grade is a B.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 am

.....c....
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Top ten graduate school ranking in 2018 U.S. News survey

University of Detroit Mercy's Nurse Anesthesia program ranked the 10th best and the top 20 graduate Management programs in the nation in U.S. News & World Report's "2018 Best Graduate Schools." The list was released today in the magazine's "2018 Best Graduate Schools" magazine. This is the College of Business Administration's third consecutive year for this high honor. See the press release for more information.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm

uofdmik2008 wrote:Top ten graduate school ranking in 2018 U.S. News survey

University of Detroit Mercy's Nurse Anesthesia program ranked the 10th best and the top 20 graduate Management programs in the nation in U.S. News & World Report's "2018 Best Graduate Schools." The list was released today in the magazine's "2018 Best Graduate Schools" magazine. This is the College of Business Administration's third consecutive year for this high honor. See the press release for more information.

Link: http://www.udmercy.edu/about/news/artic ... t-grad.php
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 am

I rated Dr. G with a B.

Overall, I think he has done a great job promoting the University. We have seen building renovations (Chemistry and Briggs) and the new Fitness center. One thing I like about Dr. G is that he has office hours for students. My senior year, I scheduled an exit interview with him during his student hours. Very gracious man, we spoke about my time at the University, Titan Basketball, my travels to New Orleans (Who Dat!), and even the road/streetscape I designed for my senior civil engineering design project. I seem to think that I gave him the idea of the Livernois streetscape adjacent to campus...Who knows. He treated me like an important person and listened to everything I had to say. At many Universities you would not even see or have the change to speak to the President.

The one down side is the re-branding and new logo. Thought the logo could have been better, but if we put a great team on the court who cares.
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:29 am

Many of the pro Garibaldi people keep citing how nice the campus looks. That's great and all, but how much of these capital projects are financed? If you saw a guy who put down only 5% on his McMansion and maxed out credit cards to have nice things, you might think he's making great decisions. But under the surface you'd discover he's a sucker paying private mortgage insurance and 18% interest on his CC statements. I'm NOT saying Garibaldi is the university president equivalent of this. But looking over the financial reports, I don't see an organization making great decisions. You can say he doubled the endowment, but he started at about 25M, which is basically no endowment. I'm glad he's an approachable nice man. The one nice thing I'll say is that he clearly sees the value in D1 athletics.

My submission is still that he's not a good value for UDM. Again, it's costing over a half mil per year to employ him. We got him later in his career, I believe he was about 60 when he started? At best he will probably give us a 10 year run and he probably won't shake things up and do anything extraordinary. Take a baseball analogy. Think about a WAR #, wins above replacement. I could say the same thing about employing lay presidents. Wins Above a Jesuit. I doubt Garibaldi is adding much value above what a dedicated priest (or sister) could provide. And again, the cost for a lay person is a LOT higher. Higher Ed is a precarious world about to see major changes. Resources are not infinite. UDM could benefit by having a religious president, and, honestly, a religious provost and other key positions would be a really smart idea. We need someone who can take risks and can go on a 20+ year run. I realize our current president isn't going anywhere for a few more years. I wish him well and all, but I'm not sure UDM will be around in 50 years unless we get a once in century type leader to replace him when the time comes.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am

ten years is more than long enough for a ceo. five years is about right unless he's extraordinary. change is the life blood of bureaucracy
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:41 am

titanmac wrote:ten years is more than long enough for a ceo. five years is about right unless he's extraordinary. change is the life blood of bureaucracy

A university isn't a company. A 5 year tenure would be considered an awful failure by just about anyone. You can have change at the organizational level but continuity with leadership.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

that's why most of them are run so poorly. besides i disagree. it is not uncommon for changes in the structure including deans of particular colleges and chairmen. chairman of departments are often shuffled in and out of those leadership positions. until relatively recently 5 or so years was considered average. 8.5 is now average but still within the parameters i'm, suggesting. let them stay on if they've accomplished extraordinary things. can also kick them sideways if tenure was part of the package. they are educators first and foremost after all. https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/wo ... presidents
titanmac
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm

1) The Jesuits and Sisters appear to be content with NOT aiming the university for Great thing. They want a good, solid urban university living up to its Catholic values. There is no doubt about that. They don't foresee us getting a ton bigger in the near term, making a jump in athletics a la Butler and many others, etc.

2) There is a very good reason to believe that the Jesuits nor the Sisters put forward a candidate for President that met the hopes and qualifications the Board and search committee were going for - thus they looked to a lay person. Does an older, less energetic and enthusiast religious make for a better president at UDM then an energetic layperson who has a history of leading middle'ish institutions? I believe the Board (including the non religious) made this calculation and saw that Pres Garibaldi was our best choice for our leader.

Tact, I will ask for a little more specifics on what you are referring to when you say "But looking over the financial reports, I don't see an organization making great decisions". I've seen many of the detailed numbers myself as I know several other posters on here have. There's much positive momentum in UDM's finances from the beginning of Pres Garibaldi's term to now. Also, to the extent we've done any borrowing lately is been at record low interest rates, and with taxexempt bonds. Leverage doesn't have to be a big scary thing (it certainly CAN, but it doesn't HAVE to be).

He DOES deserve credit for increasing the endowment. Are we better off for having this increased endowment? Yes. Why hadn't a slew of past religious presidents (Jesuits and Sister Faye) done this? To just dismiss it out of hand isn't being quite fair.

In the longer term, the involvement that Garibaldi has had in making UDM part of the fabric of the city and the neighborhood has the potential to be YUGE. We have ties to the mayor and the mayors office now. We have Live 6. We are using our sway to get more investment in the neighborhood. Those are all very good, positive things.

"I wish him well and all, but I'm not sure UDM will be around in 50 years unless we get a once in century type leader to replace him when the time comes." There is merit to this statement and this lays more directly at the Jesuits and the Sisters and what direction they will let this university go. Another 50 years or treading water and not really daring to shoot for great things will see many other schools pass us by, and see our relevance in Detroit slip slide away.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:33 am

That's funny, TitanTarHeel, calling Tacitus "Tact." Ironic, to say the least.
RIP Titan Reggie #DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurTurnOurCity #RememberTheTitans
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 am

in fifty years, using simple math, if we conserve and shepherd the endowment judiciously, conservatively it will be in the neighborhood of a billion. enough to ensure our future. (actually much higher than that but i am throwing a bone to the nay sayers who are getting ready to pounce.....)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 am

titanmac wrote:in fifty years, using simple math, if we conserve and shepherd the endowment judiciously, conservatively it will be in the neighborhood of a billion. enough to ensure our future. (actually much higher than that but i am throwing a bone to the nay sayers who are getting ready to pounce.....)

This made me laugh out loud. Don't know where you get your math but if you take $50M over fifty years with a 5% rate of return you'd have under $600M. And that's assuming you're NOT spending ANY of the endowment spinoff during those 50 years, which we are legally required to do. No offense, but I'm not sure you understand how endowments work.

If you plug in 7% average return you'd certainly be in 1B territory. But again, I doubt you'd get 7% return on top of the 4% spin off you're required to spend. Endowed dollars are meant to provide for support for their stated purpose in perpetuity. That means you spend part of the earned interest and try to keep up with inflation if you're lucky. Also, the truth is that in 50 years 1B will not be considered a large university endowment would not ensure any future.

Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:51 am

Tacitus651 wrote:
titanmac wrote:in fifty years, using simple math, if we conserve and shepherd the endowment judiciously, conservatively it will be in the neighborhood of a billion. enough to ensure our future. (actually much higher than that but i am throwing a bone to the nay sayers who are getting ready to pounce.....)

This made me laugh out loud. Don't know where you get your math but if you take $50M over fifty years with a 5% rate of return you'd have under $600M. And that's assuming you're NOT spending ANY of the endowment spinoff during those 50 years, which we are legally required to do. No offense, but I'm not sure you understand how endowments work.

If you plug in 7% average return you'd certainly be in 1B territory. But again, I doubt you'd get 7% return on top of the 4% spin off you're required to spend. Endowed dollars are meant to provide for support for their stated purpose in perpetuity. That means you spend part of the earned interest and try to keep up with inflation if you're lucky. Also, the truth is that in 50 years 1B will not be considered a large university endowment would not ensure any future.

This article suggests that in a mere 18 years, four years of college at a private university like a Detroit Mercy could cost around a half million dollars:

https://techfeatured.com/8550/in-18-yea ... out-500000

If college tuition continues to creep even just a bit higher than the general inflation rate, something is going to have to give as eventually the non-elite private institutions become completely unaffordable. Last week, Garabaldi announced a 3.2% tuition increase for undergrads, lowest hike in 18 years. In addition to fundraising and increasing the endowment, a big part of the University President's task is to keep the rate of tuition increases as low as possible.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Next

Return to General