Mayweather-MacGregor

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Mayweather-MacGregor

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 am

This is a sideshow. Floyd will hit Conor at will for 3 to 5 rounds before the fight is stopped. No surprise there. This will be ugly and not worth buying the PPV; in fact, it should be PTV. They should pay us $59 to watch it. Mayweather TKOs MacGregor no later than 6. Possibly the fight will be stopped between rounds.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Re: Mayweather-MacGregor

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 am

Bonus prediction...this one a little more surprising. Canelo stops Golovkin in the late rounds. Book it. Alvarez is strong and Gennady is used to rolling opponents. Now, we know that Golovkin can bang like hell and is relentless, but Alvarez is a highly skilled fighter with good pop and a strong chin. He survives the early rounds and gets GGG when he tires late.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 am

Always good to talk boxing. :-) To tie this subject to the Detroit Titans, Titan legend John Long is known for having relatives that played pro ball like Grant Long and Terry Mills, but he also had a relative named Julius Long who was a professional boxer. He stood seven feet tall. I always wondered how a guy that tall, coming from a basketball family, didn't have a more impressive basketball career.

http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/30144

I am surprised that they actually made the Mayweather/McGregor fight, but once it was made, I'm not surprised that there are people willing to pay $100.00 to watch it on TV. I think it goes just like Moose said it will.

I also think that Alvarez will beat GGG. Golovkin struggled with Daniel Jacobs and he's never faced anyone as good as Alvarez.

I'll be interested in hearing the thoughts of Titan Andrew, RBJ, and the other boxing fans on the board.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm

I don't know anything about boxing, But I support the Irish. MacGregor ends him.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Sorry, but no way. I'll be surprised if Compubox records more than 5 a round on Mayweather. It's not about being a fan of either guy. But I've been watching boxing for almost 50 years and Mayweather is one of the best defensive fighters I've ever seen. Perhaps in a contest with MMA rules MacGregor might stand a chance. But these are boxing rules and he's in way over his head with Floyd. I saw a clip of Conor sparring with Paulie Malinaggi--the whole clip before MacGregor's people took it down--and he rarely landed a blow on Paulie, a retired, old fighter who looked really soft. I'd be surprised if this fight went 6. The only reasons it might go to the second half is if Mayweather carries him for sport, Conor has a good chin (that could be), and because Mayweather really isn't a banger. I think that Conor gets picked apart, beat up over the course of 5 or 6 rounds, and the fight is stopped. The deck is totally stacked against MacGregor. This is really a bad idea for every reason but money. Floyd will turn his shoulders, pull back, side step, roll with punches--everything he's always done to avoid damage all these years against honest to goodness world class boxers. But this time it will be against a guy completely out of his depth. The question isn't "Who will win?" It's "What round will the referee or ringside doctor decide that MacGregor has had enough?"
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:Always good to talk boxing. :-) To tie this subject to the Detroit Titans, Titan legend John Long is known for having relatives that played pro ball like Grant Long and Terry Mills, but he also had a relative named Julius Long who was a professional boxer. He stood seven feet tall. I always wondered how a guy that tall, coming from a basketball family, didn't have a more impressive basketball career.

I am surprised that they actually made the Mayweather/McGregor fight, but once it was made, I'm not surprised that there are people willing to pay $100.00 to watch it on TV. I think it goes just like Moose said it will.

I also think that Alvarez will beat GGG. Golovkin struggled with Daniel Jacobs and he's never faced anyone as good as Alvarez.

I'll be interested in hearing the thoughts of Titan Andrew, RBJ, and the other boxing fans on the board.

Sam, Golovkin is tough, no doubt. But I thought that the Jacobs fight was even closer than the cards. I had Jacobs winning by a point or 2 but was not surprised that GGG got the decision. It was close. Alvarez is a smart fighter and tough as nails. I remember how he destroyed Kirkland. At the time, I thought Kirkland would win but, boy was I wrong. Alvarez adjusts well to different styles. Ultimately, I think GGG is a little stiff, much like Kirkland (and Tszyu before that) used to be. Huge punch but not very fluid. When guys don't go to sleep right away, as in the Jacobs fight, Triple G seems a little puzzled. Alvarez, unless he gets caught early, should adjust as the fight goes on. Canelo doesn't get rattled by big punchers. I'm leaning toward an Alvarez late round KO or a decision. Again, all this is just my opinion but I suspect Max "Triple G Fanboy" Kellerman will look like he's just told there's no Santa Claus at the end of the day.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:Always good to talk boxing. :-) To tie this subject to the Detroit Titans, Titan legend John Long is known for having relatives that played pro ball like Grant Long and Terry Mills, but he also had a relative named Julius Long who was a professional boxer. He stood seven feet tall. I always wondered how a guy that tall, coming from a basketball family, didn't have a more impressive basketball career.

I always wondered why Julius Long didn't try to play basketball, I can only assume that either he didn't like the sport or either he didn't like school. He could've gotten at least a D2 school based on his size alone. In regards to the Mayweather-McGregor bout, its going to be easy for Mayweather, that counter right hand will be there for all night long.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titan Andrew » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Agree with what's already been posted about the May-Mac fight...nothing more than a special attraction to get the people involved a bunch of money. I can't believe that the Vegas line has May only a -400 favorite. Seems almost like easy money to throw a chunk of change on that (fingers crossed).

The GGG-Canelo fight is another one of the excellent match-ups that boxing has provided this year. I think that if this fight had happened a year or two ago then GGG would be the strong favorite. I agree that GGG hasn't looked great in his last few fights (although that may be more of a testament to the caliber of fighter that Jacobs is) and at 35 years old father time may have made GGG a step or two slower. Team GGG and GGG fan boy Max K say that GGG is purposefully not providing a great defense at times to give the fans more entertainment and to lure the big names into fighting him. Not sure if this is the case though. Should be a real good fight between 2 bangers but I'll ride with the younger guy in this one.
Titan Andrew
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Moose hit the nail on the head in regards to both fights. I will not be watching Mayweather v. MacGregor because I'm absolutely convinced it will be a one-sided demolition. Unless Floyd throws the fight for a payday, there is no way he could possibly lose.

I am very excited about Canelo v. GGG. I'm in no way clear on this fight, but my expectation is that Canelo wins the fight. Whether or not it is due to a stoppage is the question. I do agree though that IF this fight is stopped, it will be GGG on the canvas in the late rounds. Would not be surprised if Canelo wins as result of a UD either. This should be an excellent fight.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Titan Andrew wrote:Agree with what's already been posted about the May-Mac fight...nothing more than a special attraction to get the people involved a bunch of money. I can't believe that the Vegas line has May only a -400 favorite. Seems almost like easy money to throw a chunk of change on that (fingers crossed).

The GGG-Canelo fight is another one of the excellent match-ups that boxing has provided this year. I think that if this fight had happened a year or two ago then GGG would be the strong favorite. I agree that GGG hasn't looked great in his last few fights (although that may be more of a testament to the caliber of fighter that Jacobs is) and at 35 years old father time may have made GGG a step or two slower. Team GGG and GGG fan boy Max K say that GGG is purposefully not providing a great defense at times to give the fans more entertainment and to lure the big names into fighting him. Not sure if this is the case though. Should be a real good fight between 2 bangers but I'll ride with the younger guy in this one.

Andrew, even if what Kellerman has been saying is true, that Golovkin is sandbagging for a big payday, it'd be idiotic for him to be anything but his best with Alvarez. Alvarez is a very skilled fighter and you screw with him at your peril. Don't get me wrong; I'd not be surprised if GGG won. I just think that everything is aligning in Calelo's favor. Golovkin is almost 8 years older and though he's not taken any significant beatings, that's a long time in boxing years. GGG also did not look indomitable at all against Jacobs. If Alvarez wins, though, I suspect he may need a KO. Golovkin is the golden goose of the fight game right now and I think he'll get most close rounds. That sucks but boxing is a game where perception, and not necessarily reality, is sold to casual fans. All you have to do is look at the Vegas line on Mac-May. Money is coming in on MacGregor and it's keeping the line closer than it should be. This money is not being wagered by people within the boxing community. Longtime trainers and fighters like Freddy Roach, McGirt, and J.D. Jackson aren't lining up to drop a bundle on Conor. No, this money is from casual fans and MMA fans who are novices when it comes to boxing.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Can't really say I'm a boxing fan, Moose, though I did watch the one from Australia this summer where Pacquaio lost. That's the first one in 20 years or more. What I do notice is the very real contradiction between boxing and football. In the latter sport, players receive concussions, continue playing and then spend their later years worrying about CTE and some have been known to kill themselves. In the former sport, delivering hits to the head is the objective and yet there seems to be less concern about CTE. Of course, the Ali case is well documented, and I understand that the Hit Man is showing some effects as well.

You were right about Floyd riding into the sunset after a victory though it did not come as easily as forecast. Had I commented, I would have said that the 8 year difference in ages and the two year layoff for Floyd both worked in favor of the Irishman, though I did not necessarily expect him to win.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby sacredheartgreg » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Boxing is still king! They don't call it the "Sweet Science" for nothing. Striking and wrestling with bare feet will never surpass the history of boxing and its fabled champions. You got to know how to pivot, bob, weave, dip and get leverage to put power on your punches. Also the conditioning of a MMA fighter and a boxer is much different and that certainly became evident throughout the fight. I have never been a fan of Floyd "Money" but I gained more respect for him and what he did Saturday night to shut up those MMA slappies.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Mayweather clearly carried Macgregor for the first five rounds. He wouldn't let his hands go because he knew he could stop Macgregor whenever and however he wanted. I don't really care for Mayweather, but somehow I like Macgregor even less.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:47 pm

It went a bit longer than I thought it would. Though I didn't purchase this travesty, I'll assume Mayweather carried Mac for a bit. I'll have to see the replay to know for sure. While I was certain it would end as it did, I expected it to end earlier. Glad that this circus is over. Floyd may not be likeable but he is a master of the sweet science and I admire his skill. He's one of the best.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:35 pm

dennycrane wrote:Can't really say I'm a boxing fan, Moose, though I did watch the one from Australia this summer where Pacquaio lost. That's the first one in 20 years or more. What I do notice is the very real contradiction between boxing and football. In the latter sport, players receive concussions, continue playing and then spend their later years worrying about CTE and some have been known to kill themselves. In the former sport, delivering hits to the head is the objective and yet there seems to be less concern about CTE. Of course, the Ali case is well documented, and I understand that the Hit Man is showing some effects as well.

You were right about Floyd riding into the sunset after a victory though it did not come as easily as forecast. Had I commented, I would have said that the 8 year difference in ages and the two year layoff for Floyd both worked in favor of the Irishman, though I did not necessarily expect him to win.

Denny, you make several good points, particularly about the contradiction between the reaction to head injuries in football and boxing. Boxers are truly the step children of the sports world. There's no league or association protecting them, and they're regularly taken advantage of by pretty much every other entity in the business.

Your comments on the Mayweather/McGregor fight were on point. The age difference, which is actually 11 years (Floyd is 40, McGregor is 29) and the layoff obviously had an impact on the fight, but even then the skill gap and stamina advantage for Floyd was too great.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Sam, it's true. Boxers have to navigate a corrupt system, with promoters, sanctioning bodies, and wildly uneven commissions from locale to locale. It's a damn shame, too. Most boxers make very little money unless they are world class and elite. At the same time, it's a demanding and dangerous game. I've lost track of how many fights I've watched where a fighter died. But despite all it's failings, I love the sport. Maybe it appeals to a primal urge; I don't know really. I also appreciate the skill level at the top of the ranks. Say what you will about Mayweather--that you don't like him or think he acts like a tool--but he is ridiculously gifted as a fighter and has crafted an incredible career. First ballot Canastota inductee. He has my complete respect. I think he my be a Top 5 on the list of the best. Oddly, I think his only misstep was doing the MacGregor carnival. But with that kind of money, who wouldn't?

Next up: Canelo-GGG. That's a helluva matchup.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:27 am

MooseGuy1 wrote:Sam, it's true. Boxers have to navigate a corrupt system, with promoters, sanctioning bodies, and wildly uneven commissions from locale to locale. It's a damn shame, too. Most boxers make very little money unless they are world class and elite. At the same time, it's a demanding and dangerous game. I've lost track of how many fights I've watched where a fighter died. But despite all it's failings, I love the sport. Maybe it appeals to a primal urge; I don't know really. I also appreciate the skill level at the top of the ranks. Say what you will about Mayweather--that you don't like him or think he acts like a tool--but he is ridiculously gifted as a fighter and has crafted an incredible career. First ballot Canastota inductee. He has my complete respect. I think he my be a Top 5 on the list of the best. Oddly, I think his only misstep was doing the MacGregor carnival. But with that kind of money, who wouldn't?

Looking at it objectively, Mayweather is probably the most successful boxer in history. Made a ton of money. Made the system work for him. Appears to be getting out of the game with his health intact.

As someone once said, boxing isn't something you do for a living if you have other options.

Canelo vs GGG should be a great one.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Motor City Sam wrote:
MooseGuy1 wrote:Sam, it's true. Boxers have to navigate a corrupt system, with promoters, sanctioning bodies, and wildly uneven commissions from locale to locale. It's a damn shame, too. Most boxers make very little money unless they are world class and elite. At the same time, it's a demanding and dangerous game. I've lost track of how many fights I've watched where a fighter died. But despite all it's failings, I love the sport. Maybe it appeals to a primal urge; I don't know really. I also appreciate the skill level at the top of the ranks. Say what you will about Mayweather--that you don't like him or think he acts like a tool--but he is ridiculously gifted as a fighter and has crafted an incredible career. First ballot Canastota inductee. He has my complete respect. I think he my be a Top 5 on the list of the best. Oddly, I think his only misstep was doing the MacGregor carnival. But with that kind of money, who wouldn't?

Looking at it objectively, Mayweather is probably the most successful boxer in history. Made a ton of money. Made the system work for him. Appears to be getting out of the game with his health intact.

As someone once said, boxing isn't something you do for a living if you have other options.

Canelo vs GGG should be a great one.

The great Roy Jones once stated that Floyd Mayweather wasn't the best or the greatest boxer, but he was most definitely the smartest. I don't like the "villain" route he decided to take before the Delahoya fight. I think he took things a little too far, I hope that some of the things he does outside of the ring are an act. I've bet against Floyd twice, I thought Diego Corrales and Canelo Alvarez would both beat him, he gave both of those guys a good thrashing. Sam, I am looking forward to Canelo vs GGG, I think its going to be an all action fight.
R.B.J1
Senior

Return to General