As Americans, we should be embarrassed right now

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

As Americans, we should be embarrassed right now

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 am

With a looming war with NoKo, storms that have devastated parts of the country, and ongoing issues domestically. Our so--called "President" is posting images of himself hitting his former opponent with golf balls and is feuding with football and basketball players. ;)

Is this stuff real?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Re: As Americans, we should be embarrassed right now

Postby Tacitus651 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:53 am

I'm proud of my President. Not sure what this has to do with Titan basketball, but I've said before that maybe there should be a more general section or "anything goes" area.

You can point out a few flaws in Trump's demeanor. I won't defend every single thing he does but keep in mind Trump restructured the electoral map by flipping the Midwest red with his protectionist trade policies and economic nationalism.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:32 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I'm proud of my President. Not sure what this has to do with basketball, but I've said before that maybe there should be a more general section or "anything goes" area.

You can point out a few flaws in Trump's demeanor. I won't defend every single thing he does but keep in mind Trump restructured the electoral map by flipping the Midwest red with his protectionist trade policies and economic nationalism.

For those in the rust belt. Please understand we are in a technological era. This era is not like the industrial era where the privileged were handed opportunities. The technological era does not foster to the good ole boy network because advanced knowledge is a must. With that known, the boundaries are afar to seek those that are most qualified to deliver the fastest, most reliable, available, and secure information and services.

No longer should anyone in their right mind believe their privileged status should hold clout in this dynamic. When I do business online, I want my transactions handled by the most qualified. Not by someone in charged based on who that person is affiliated with. And that is how the rust belt has for the most part operated.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Yeah, I hear ya. I used to live in DC myself. Did the whole policy analyst thing and know the arguments both ways. But when you're in the rust belt (like I am now), you see the consequences of bad trade policies and technology disrupting labor markets. Both caused the mess we are in. Ultimately, people need jobs for money and security. I'm pretty conservative, but like Keynes said, in the long run we are all dead. We need to protect American industry and rig our economy to make sure people have jobs OR implement a universal basic income because we are about to have an entire generation where many people have no assets or sense of self worth. Trump tapped into that and I think it carried him in PA, MI, WI, OH.

Regarding this stuff with Curry, and now telling people to boycott the NFL, it's pretty stupid. Trump likes to fight people and then make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he attends the Super Bowl this season.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I won't defend every single thing he does

Thank God, Taci! You'd be fighting an uphill battle on a number of fronts. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes, a lot is wrong. A lot was wrong under previous presidents as well. In full disclosure, I've not been a fan of any President of the last 50 years or so. none were all bad or all good. But I also think it unfair to blame any single person for all the ills of society. This seems to be a puzzling phenomena; Dems blame Repubs, and Repubs blame Dems. Could these Presidents have done things differently? In most cases, yes. But I like the tension in our political system. It acts as checks and balances...well sort of but less in the last 25 years or so. I can't speak for all but I don't want a de facto king who can declare his wishes and have them fulfilled with no blowback. Our latest 3 or 4 Presidents appear to abuse executive orders to ram through their agendas. This is dangerous to me, a person with an inherent distrust in federally consolidated power. But most Republicans and Democrats only distrust extra judicial power plays when it is from the other party. I distrust all of it.
Okay, that's my non-nuanced take on this subject. Ignore me if you wish but I just wanted to give my view on the General topics section.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Return to General