Mercy Law School?

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Mercy Law School?

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 pm

I am employed at a correctional facility, and two to three times a week an attorney will come in to visit with their clients. When I process these attorneys 99% of the times I asked them what law school they attended. The attorneys that are 35 and older, proudly proclaim that they graduated from the University of Detroit. The last four or five millennial aged attorneys stated that they graduated from Mercy, almost as if they were ashamed to say the word Detroit. I find this confusing because I thought most millenials don’t seem to have the same fear/hate of Detroit as their parents and older folks. These same millennial attorneys proudly boast that they received their undergrad degrees from Michigan State or THE Ohio State University. Is the confusing names of our athletic teams causing this problem?
R.B.J1
Senior

Re: Mercy Law School?

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I've stated numerous times on this board that most law students refer to the school as "Mercy." I graduated from the law school about 10 years ago.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I've stated numerous times on this board that most law students refer to the school as "Mercy." I graduated from the law school about 10 years ago.

I don't recall you referring to the law school as "Mercy", is there a reason why you guys shortened it to "Mercy"?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Can't say I know why, perhaps someone else on here does. I think one factor might be there used to be a separate Detroit College of Law (that merged with MSU and moved to E Lansing years ago). I assume that in the 90s when both schools were operating in Detroit, referring to one as Mercy made things easier.

Also, keep in mind the law school is different than main campus in that a majority of students are from out of state and have little to no knowledge of school history and the U of D days.

I'm personally not against Detroit or Mercy. I'm just embarrassed by the leadership's inability to rebrand effectively.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Can't say I know why, perhaps someone else on here does. I think one factor might be there used to be a separate Detroit College of Law (that merged with MSU and moved to E Lansing years ago). I assume that in the 90s when both schools were operating in Detroit, referring to one as Mercy made things easier.

Also, keep in mind the law school is different than main campus in that a majority of students are from out of state and have little to no knowledge of school history and the U of D days.

I'm personally not against Detroit or Mercy. I'm just embarrassed by the leadership's inability to rebrand effectively.

Ok, that makes some sense, my little sister is a 2016 UDM law grad, and she refers to the law school as UofD. I'm going to have this discussion with her soon. :D
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Can't say I know why, perhaps someone else on here does. I think one factor might be there used to be a separate Detroit College of Law (that merged with MSU and moved to E Lansing years ago). I assume that in the 90s when both schools were operating in Detroit, referring to one as Mercy made things easier.

Not sure if it is when someone graduated from Detroit Mercy Law but out of the dozen or so friends that graduated from there none refer to it as Mercy Law. They refer to it as UDM Law, UofD Law, Detroit Mercy Law but none have ever called it Mercy, all of them graduated between 2009 and 2013.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Return to General