Law School stays downtown

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Law School stays downtown

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 pm

Just received notice that the trustees voted to keep UDM law downtown. Good decision!
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Law School stays downtown

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Great news! It will be very convenient for the law students when Titan MBB goes big-time and starts to play all their Big East home games at the new Little Caesars Arena.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Great news! It will be very convenient for the law students when Titan MBB goes big-time and starts to play all their Big East home games at the new Little Caesars Arena.

That will be convenient. And, by then, the QLine will run directly to main campus so the undergrads can get there. As they leave their posh dorm rooms in the most gentrified neighborhood in the city. Thousands of them, wearing red, taking the rail downtown to see us beat schools like Marquette and Villanova.

Only a matter of time.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Great news! It will be very convenient for the law students when Titan MBB goes big-time and starts to play all their Big East home games at the new Little Caesars Arena.

That will be convenient. And, by then, the QLine will run directly to main campus so the undergrads can get there. As they leave their posh dorm rooms in the most gentrified neighborhood in the city. Thousands of them, wearing red, taking the rail downtown to see us beat schools like Marquette and Villanova.

Only a matter of time.

There were several steps the law school took to balance their books in order to achieve this, it also looks like the enrollment numbers are starting to pick up again.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm

If there's one thing this country needs, it's more JDs.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Just received notice that the trustees voted to keep UDM law downtown. Good decision!

Just curious, why is it a good decision?
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am

R.B.J1 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Just received notice that the trustees voted to keep UDM law downtown. Good decision!

All the major law firms, government agencies, federal/state/local courts are in close proximity to the downtown law campus — facilitates internships, adjuncts, etc. Current campus is just across the river from Canada, and Detroit Mercy has lots of students participating in a joint international law program with the University of Windsor. University retains a physical presence in a historic building located in a rapidly emerging downtown Detroit. Alumni from the law school generally support the status quo, and a move might have jeopardized relationships with important donors. Could have hurt enrollment. IMO, these factors together outweighed short-term fiscal and other benefits of selling the downtown campus and moving to McNichols and Livernois.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
R.B.J1 wrote:

All the major law firms, government agencies, federal/state/local courts are in close proximity to the downtown law campus — facilitates internships, adjuncts, etc. Current campus is just across the river from Canada, and Detroit Mercy has lots of students participating in a joint international law program with the University of Windsor. University retains a physical presence in a historic building located in a rapidly emerging downtown Detroit. Alumni from the law school generally support the status quo, and a move might have jeopardized relationships with important donors. Could have hurt enrollment. IMO, these factors together outweighed short-term fiscal and other benefits of selling the downtown campus and moving to McNichols and Livernois.

At the end of the day they have to balance the books for that location if they don't and its a drain on the university as a whole, all the factors you outlined are moot. The biggest loss of enrollment is at the law school, they were also a net drag on budget numbers as a school, until the work they have done recently. I like our presence downtown but not if it is coming at the cost of other schools and departments.
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't want the law school to be a drag on the university. If they can't make it work they should just close shop instead of offering a poor law school experience on 6 Mile. Which was a bigger "net drag" last FY though, the law school or the contracts of BA and Vowels?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't want the law school to be a drag on the university. If they can't make it work they should just close shop instead of offering a poor law school experience on 6 Mile. Which was a bigger "net drag" last FY though, the law school or the contracts of BA and Vowels?

Touche! I am glad that they were able to figure a way to make it all work for the Law School, I think with the increasing prestige of Detroit that the downtown location will be a lot more appealing to professionals!
Mik

uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 am

Valpo Law is officially just imploding without any success passing off the law school to the state of Tennessee.

Legal education is a rough industry these days.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 am

Tacitus651 wrote:Valpo Law is officially just imploding without any success passing off the law school to the state of Tennessee.

Found this link: https://www.nwitimes.com/news/education ... b8448.html
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:Valpo Law is officially just imploding without any success passing off the law school to the state of Tennessee.

Found this link: https://www.nwitimes.com/news/education ... b8448.html

Question for the attorneys out there, how is Cooley Law School able to survive? My sister who is an attorney stated that Cooley admits a large amount of first year students and is well aware that 2/3 will flunk out before they reach their third year, which is disgusting and unfair. How is the UDM law school able to stay afloat? How is the future looking for the law school? The law school seems to be on a prime piece of real estate in downtown Detroit, I bet it would fetch some nice $$$.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:02 pm

As a law school alum, I hate when people say to sell the law school building because it’s worth money. As I’ve said before here, I highly doubt the law school could survive on the main campus because prospective law students are adults and want to live downtown. Plus it’s close to the courts and the bigger firms.

If having a law school is not economically in the best interest of the university at any point, I’d understand if they had to close shop. But I don’t want UDM to sell property because it’s valuable. Turn the property into a first class business school and offer other classes there. Have a clear and beautiful presence in the heart of the city. Detroit is going to be rebounding for some time and downtown is important. Selling would be shortsighted IMO.

Cooley survives because society still tells people being a lawyer is prestigious. Cooley accepts virtually anyone with a bachelor’s degree and gives them a shot. So you can borrow money and take your chance. I’d advise anyone considering Cooley to retake the LSAT or pursue some other type of degree. FWIW, when I attended UDM law nearly a decade ago they failed out 10-12% of the 1L class to weed people out. It’s pure hell, but not nearly as bad as Cooley (a friend of mine attended Cooley and god it sounded awful).
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:As a law school alum, I hate when people say to sell the law school building because it’s worth money. As I’ve said before here, I highly doubt the law school could survive on the main campus because prospective law students are adults and want to live downtown. Plus it’s close to the courts and the bigger firms.

If having a law school is not economically in the best interest of the university at any point, I’d understand if they had to close shop. But I don’t want UDM to sell property because it’s valuable. Turn the property into a first class business school and offer other classes there. Have a clear and beautiful presence in the heart of the city. Detroit is going to be rebounding for some time and downtown is important. Selling would be shortsighted IMO.

Cooley survives because society still tells people being a lawyer is prestigious. Cooley accepts virtually anyone with a bachelor’s degree and gives them a shot. So you can borrow money and take your chance. I’d advise anyone considering Cooley to retake the LSAT or pursue some other type of degree. FWIW, when I attended UDM law nearly a decade ago they failed out 10-12% of the 1L class to weed people out. It’s pure hell, but not nearly as bad as Cooley (a friend of mine attended Cooley and god it sounded awful).

Thanks for the response.
R.B.J1
Senior

Return to General