Vatican’s astronomer to speak on campus tonight!

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Vatican’s astronomer to speak on campus tonight!

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 am

Want to meet the man who officially demoted Pluto as a planet and officially re-classified the celestial body to an asteroid status?

The University of Detroit Mercy will be hosting a talk with Brother Guy Joseph Consolmagno, S.J., Director of the Vatican Observatory, astronomer and curator of meteorites, tonight 3/21 at 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. in the Ballroom of the Student Union, McNichols Campus. Admission is free.

Contemplating a Universe infinite in terms of time and space, the good Jesuit Brother’s thoughts may help relegate the last two disappointing MBB seasons into their proper cosmic insignificance.
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: Vatican’s astronomer to speak on campus tonight!

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:08 pm

I'd like to suggest the university trustees consider him to be the next university president.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Consolmagno
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I'd like to suggest the university trustees consider him to be the next university president.

After hearing Brother Guy speak tonight, I’m convinced he enjoys the current astronomer gig way too much to become a university President. Maybe if we built the world’s most advanced observatory on Six Mile and Livernois he would come. There was a nice crowd for the event, the ballroom was pretty full.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:15 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I'd like to suggest the university trustees consider him to be the next university president.

After hearing Brother Guy speak tonight, I’m convinced he enjoys the current astronomer gig way too much to become a university President. Maybe if we built the world’s most advanced observatory on Six Mile and Livernois he would come. There was a nice crowd for the event, the ballroom was pretty full.

Detroit has way too much light pollution for an observatory. Dammit!

I bet if Brother Guy DID become president, he'd fire Vowels and BA by lunch on his first day.
Remember when Detroit Mercy had a winning basketball program? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:

Detroit has way too much light pollution for an observatory. Dammit!

I bet if Brother Guy DID become president, he'd fire Vowels and BA by lunch on his first day.

Too much light pollution in the Vatican City too, so Brother Guy actually spends most of his time looking through a telescope located in Arizona.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pm

They should have had Brother explain to Bacari that The Secret (law of attraction) is junk science.
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to General