Largest U-D donation ever, $6.1 million for biz school

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Largest U-D donation ever, $6.1 million for biz school

Postby uofdfan1983 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 pm

see https://www.crainsdetroit.com/education ... 1-readmore

These are the kinds of donations that are difference-makers. We've needed a donation like this for a long time. I hope more 7 figure donations are coming. I like the last quote from Garabaldi, "We want everyone to know we are not done yet." He is raising the bar; a bar that needed raising. We are not a geographical state school. We are special. We have rich alums. We are going after it, finally. We are going to continue to rise with the City of Detroit and it will take a while but we are movin' on up. We need to remove the new dorms blockade. But Business School is a money-maker and one of our strengths and this will really help. We just have to keep pushing. The Horizon League will miss us, someday....
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Re: Largest U-D donation ever, $6.1 million for biz school

Postby titanmac » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

+1 tom. nice
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:19 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:see https://www.crainsdetroit.com/education ... 1-readmore

These are the kinds of donations that are difference-makers. We've needed a donation like this for a long time. I hope more 7 figure donations are coming. I like the last quote from Garabaldi, "We want everyone to know we are not done yet." He is raising the bar; a bar that needed raising. We are not a geographical state school. We are special. We have rich alums. We are going after it, finally. We are going to continue to rise with the City of Detroit and it will take a while but we are movin' on up. We need to remove the new dorms blockade. But Business School is a money-maker and one of our strengths and this will really help. We just have to keep pushing. The Horizon League will miss us, someday....

This is great news! Uofdfan1983 can you discuss the "dorms blockade", I remember someone posted that there was an issue with the city of Detroit in regards to new dorms being built.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 am

I’m not sure if this is exactly what he’s referring to, but there is a developer wanting to finance student housing on Puritan behind the current dorms. I believe the city has the properties needed in the land bank that are needed. But they won’t release them until the University agrees to open up the fencing around campus, which the school is loathe to do. I may not have gotten the story correct but I believe I’m close. And it seems like BS if true the City of Detroit would do anything like that to UDM. The city should be fortunate we are there and not in the suburbs. Housing values are way up in the Liv 6 area and besides downtown and midtown we are in one of the more up and coming neighborhoods in Detroit.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm

This is great! I don't know if the U has done so, but I hope that somebody there sent a press release to other media. Sometime recently, somebody gave Wayne St. a $5M or so gift. I know because it was reported in the free press. Maybe reporting this gift will prompt a kind of competitive spirit. I wish I had $6.2M to give, but somebody out there does have it.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm

TRS according to UDM PR Gary Lichtman it was in the following: it was in yesterday’s Detroit Free Press, Crain’s Detroit Business, DBusiness, WJR and on today’s WWJ, “Making the Grade.” The University President will be appearing on Channel 7’s “Spotlight on the News” with Chuck Stokes next month. We have this, the $101 million raised to date, Live6... exciting things happening.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:16 pm

And ALL over Facebook and I’ve gotten NUMEROUS posts.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks RC, that makes this news that much better.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Thank you to Arnold Jarboe for remembering the University in his Estate. It was kind of him to do this.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Return to General