Season preview

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Season preview

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 am

Although the regular season doesn't start until spring, here's a decent recent preview of the lax team:

Titans aim for MAAC Title… and More
by Mike Costello

DETROIT, MI (October, 4, 2013) - In 2013, Detroit was one quarter away from pulling off what would have been the biggest upset in NCAA lacrosse history. In the end, we all know what happened. Notre Dame rallied and won their first round match-up 9-7, sending all of the lacrosse fans in Michigan to a 24 hour (or more) pity-party.

But the fall brings not just cider and donuts, but a new outlook - it’s Spring Fever in October and the 2014 version of the Titans are ready and raring to go.

“It’s been going good”, said Assistant Coach Chris Kolon. “We have a lot of new faces and a lot of people have really improved by leaps and bounds. It’s good to see.”

The Titans get their fall season underway today in Columbus, Ohio against Ohio State, in the Nationwide Children’s Hospital CJD Memorial Game at 7 p.m. at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. Admission to the game is $5, with all proceeds donated to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital.

Detroit won the MAAC Championship last year and earned the berth into the NCAA Tournament. Faced with a must win against Canisius in the final regular season game, Detroit downed the Golden Griffins, 13-7. In the MAAC tourney, the Titans knocked off Marist 7-6 and beat Siena, 11-10 in OT to gain the trip to South Bend.

2014 is a different year yes, but some of the goals remain the same.

“The team goals are to get back to the NCAA’s, compete in the first round and make some noise in the tournament”, says Senior Co-Captain, Alex Maini.

“The loss last year does sting. I think a lot about it, but this year is a different year and we are a different team, but I want to make this season a good one and win the MAAC Championship.”

Junior 2nd Team All MAAC Midfielder, Mike Birney agrees, “The MAAC Championship is our first priority. We are working hard every day and our offense looks great. As a team, we are looking real good so far.”

Coach Kolon sums it up this way, “We always want that MAAC Championship. It’s the most important thing to us. It always has been and it always will be. Our ultimate goal is to win every game – that’s the case for everyone. That would great to do that, but if we don’t win the MAAC, it doesn’t matter. We want to be playing our best when the MAAC tournament comes up.”

Detroit has lost a number of starters on the defensive side of the ball, but the offense could be high octane. Birney and Maini return, as well as Scott Drummond, Tom Masterson and Brandon Beauregard. Add to that formidable group, Shayne Adams, who returns from injury and you have unlimited potential.

“I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” - Thomas Jefferson.

The Titans are working harder this season – to be better individually and as a team; to make up for the players lost through graduation and to perhaps change their luck. Last season, they had some unlucky injuries and some unlucky losses with the biggest loss coming on that fateful afternoon in South Bend.

The hard work that is being done in the fall may translate into decreased turnovers, poised 4th quarter execution and a few bounces going in favor of the red, white and blue. No one would complain about that.

http://www.alllacrossemichigan.com/
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Return to LaCrosse