Sorry for the Lacrosse post here, but this is AWESOME

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Sorry for the Lacrosse post here, but this is AWESOME

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 am

Check out the cover of November's Lacrosse Magazine:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Great to be on the cover! Great exposure to a lot of people around the country (and world). And many will love the "NO MERCY" headline. A framed copy of the cover might make a nice Christmas present for "Dr. G and the Board of Trustees" (that sounds like a blues band).

(I posted this in the lacrosse section, but thought it was cool enough to post over here. Sorry its not b-ball, but we seem to be pretty loose with that b-ball only policy )
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Re: Sorry for the Lacrosse post here, but this is AWESOME

Postby titanmac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:02 am

suitable for framing. wonder where i can get a reprint. would look good in my office next to the free press c sports cover of jj after whoopin ucla.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:31 am

guys. i went to the lax mag site and wrote to them about obtaining a reprint of this cover if its available. while there i discovered i could post it on my timeline on facebook. i would suggest you all do the same. free cool pr for all our friends. something positive everyone can do...even sam!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:42 am

titanmac wrote:...even sam!
:lol: Good idea about Facebook too.

Here's what's inside the magazine:

http://instagram.com/p/fx9eSHF19O/#

I know there was a lacrosse magazine doing a story on Mike Birney (Jr. men's lax team) and his sister Kylie (soph women's lax team), but I don't know anything more. I'll keep an eye out for it.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:34 pm

so long as we're bastardizing the board--lindsey lammars was named player of the week for her second place finish in the dayton invitational propelling the titans to their first tournament win of the fall.
titanmac
Senior

Postby hyperion » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm

That's crazy nuts phenomenal! Congrats to the LAX squad!!
Let’s return to our former glory. Go Titans!
hyperion
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:06 am

This is the only magazine my 11 year old son gets. I showed him a picture of the cover (he has not gotten his issue in the mail yet). He thought it was really cool. He said he was going to show everyone on his team.

The magazine has a circulation of over 300,000.
GoTitans
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Wow, THAT is really cool!!

UNC and Duke are annual national powers in the lacrosse world, and note a story about them is noted in small print on the bottom right. And yet the mighty Titans get the cover. Pretty cool, this made my day! thanks for posting
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanreggie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:56 pm

+1 Hyperion I posted to my facebook page for my friends [&enemies] to see. Go Titans LAX!!
TAKE THAT BALL TO THE HOOP & MAKE THOSE TURNOVERS HURT!
PLAY HARD, PLAY TOGETHER & PLAY TO WIN! DEFEND THE HALL!
titanreggie
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:29 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:I know there was a lacrosse magazine doing a story on Mike Birney (Jr. men's lax team) and his sister Kylie (soph women's lax team), but I don't know anything more. I'll keep an eye out for it.

This may have ended up being the article. I think that is Kylie in the weight room. Or maybe they will be part of a story about sibling lax players.

Jimmy Chitwood noted over in the lacrosse section that lacrosse was the fastest growing NCAA sport last year. I assume those numbers fluctuate a lot each year, but good to see we were ahead of the curve on this one.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1228
GoTitans
Senior

Postby titanmac » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Keeeriste. I might have to breakdown and go see a game. Like I don't have enough to do....
titanmac
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 am

My son's magazine was in the mail yesterday. Not only was there a nice story about the men's and women's programs, spotlighting the Birneys and Troy Dennis (the guy on the cover), but they highlighted the men's Run to the Fist run from campus to the Joe Louis Fist and the women pushing an SUV around the parking lot as part of their workouts. In the News and Notes section they mentioned Mike Birney's 114 mph shot which tied a world record.

AND the magazine's editor's letter at the front of the magazine was all about the game against ND in the NCAA tournament as his Game of the Year:
Remember the Titans
Detroit Mercy's near-upset of Irish was best game of 2013

by Matt DaSilva | LaxMagazine.com | Twitter
A version of this article appears in the November 2013 issue of Lacrosse Magazine, the flagship publication of US Lacrosse. Don't get the mag? Join US Lacrosse and its 400,000-plus members today to start your subscription.
© John Strohsacker

Around this time of year, Lacrosse Magazine ramps up its annual "Best of Lacrosse" awards. You can join the conversation at LaxMagazine.com/BestOfLacrosse2013 or on Twitter (#BestOfLax).

My pick for the best game of 2013? Detroit Mercy's near-upset of Notre Dame in the NCAA men's tournament. I'm only one vote, but that game gets the nod over trendier contenders, like Casey Powell's comeback game with the Chesapeake Bayhawks, the epic NCAA Division I women's final, Duke's heart-stopping wins over the Loyola and Cornell men, and Canada-Australia in the FIL Women's World Cup.

How could you not be enamored with Detroit Mercy, a team that was 2-9 with two weeks left in the season and rallied to win its conference championship to make the dance at 5-9? How could you not root for a team from a city with so little to cheer about since the economic collapse of 2008? How could you not watch with bated breath as the Titans put the mighty Irish on the ropes in South Bend?

No MAAC representative had ever won an NCAA tournament game. Nor had a sub-.500 team.

But there were the Titans, a devil-may-care collection of overlooked players from Canada and the Midwest, imposing their will on the Irish, a final four favorite since the season started.

For three quarters, Notre Dame had no answer for Detroit Mercy's rangy defensemen — namely Jordan Houtby, the Canadian national team hopeful whose 158 career caused turnovers were the most by any player since the NCAA started tracking them in 2010.

For three quarters, the Titans reduced the Irish's well-reputed defense to ball-watchers and bystanders, as they expertly milked possessions and capitalized in timer-on situations.

For three quarters, Notre Dame looked lost on faceoffs, making Damien Hicks look like Alex Smith as he won nine of the first 12.

Detroit Mercy was on the brink of the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history.

And then Irish coach Kevin Corrigan did his best Mickey Goldmill impression.

You remember The Mick, don't you? He was Rocky Balboa's trainer, played by the late Burgess Meredith, in the "Rocky" films. In "Rocky II," Mickey trains Rocky to fight right-handed, even though he's a lefty. Rocky takes Apollo Creed to the 15th round, at which point Mickey gives Rocky the green light to switch back to southpaw, turning the tide of the fight.

In his back pocket, Corrigan had Notre Dame's seldom-used 10-man ride. And he showed remarkable restraint, waiting until the start of the fourth quarter to unleash it.

Like the rejuvenated Rocky, the Irish came out swinging. They rode like their lives depended on it, forced six Detroit Mercy turnovers, won six of seven faceoffs, scored four goals in the first five minutes to tie the game at 7 and eventually won 9-7.

The "Rocky" analogy works, until you realize that in this game, Notre Dame was Apollo. That the Irish had to resort to such gimmickry says a lot about the resolve of the Titans — which inspired us to make Detroit Mercy the centerpiece of this special fitness edition of Lacrosse Magazine.

Coaches Matt Holz and Laura Maness have embraced Detroit's rugged reputation by challenging players to do the same. Holz's men do an annual "Run to the Fist," an 8.7 mile team-toughening jaunt through downtown landmarks ending at the Joe Louis Fist. Maness' women started a new tradition this year, the "SUV Push and Run," where players take turns in twos willing an occupied vehicle around an empty, dim-lit parking lot. Featured gym rats Troy Dennis and Kylie Birney take Detroit's blue-collar mentality to a new level.

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_men/ ... the_titans

If lacrosse fans around the country didn't know we had good lax programs before this, they will now. THANKS Lacrosse Magazine!

(fyi: a 10-man ride is sort of like a full court press with the goalie coming out and aggressively guarding someone essentially creating an extra defender)
GoTitans
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm

A follow-up on the Lacrosse Magazine's polls with news in this month's magazine:

The NCAA game against ND easily won the Fan Favorite for Best game with 56% of the vote. The next game has 32%.

The men finished 2nd to a high school women's team from Georgia in the Best Team Breakthrough.

And, again, the Detroit lax shirt is prominently displayed on 3 pages in the magazine. There is are 3 large pictures and and article where Titan Mike Birney tells his tips for shooting 114mph. On the same pages, there is a picture of Mike with his sister Kylie and a blurb about sibling rivalry.

2 months in a row of GREAT coverage in a very popular international magazine based out of Baltimore. Can't beat that. Let's hope all of this publicity helps us.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmac » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:43 am

i wrote them asking if a reprint of the cover was available....never got an answer.
titanmac
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:35 am

They had some copies in the athletic office a couple of weeks ago.
GoTitans
Senior

Return to LaCrosse