The future of Titan athletics?

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

The future of Titan athletics?

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 am

I know most sports have an alumni game, and some have decent alumni communication, but lacrosse seems to be on a whole different level. In addition to the alumni game, the lacrosse alumni and families are having a golf outing on October 5. https://twitter.com/UDMLAX/status/51405 ... 80/photo/1

The parents of the lacrosse players are a very organized and close knit group. They tailgate before every game, bbq after some, and travel to many away games. They have 40-50 kids on the team. That is a lot of students and families.

They are building a very solid foundation as an alumni group, like no other.

Until the 60s the football and basketball players were the big men on campus. Everyone went to football games. Those players and fans joined the Titan Club and came/come to basketball games. With the loss of those sports and the changing times in college living and the university, that generation is almost gone and nothing has replaced them.

I see lacrosse, especially the men's team, as the future of Titan athletics. They are likely the current students who will stay involved with the university. They will come back and give. Maybe not for or to men's basketball, but they will be the largest alumni "group" soon. And youth lacrosse continues to grow.

I trust the administration knows this. While basketball will be the prime "money maker" for the foreseeable future, it is the lacrosse alumni who will be the largest donor group in 10, 20 and 30 years from now. We need to make sure they have a strong and positive connection to UofD.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Re: The future of Titan athletics?

Postby ExcitedTitan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:47 am

I see the men's lacrosse team was out in full force and rowdiness at the men's soccer game against OU. The soccer team really appreciated it. They made that trip to Valpo a few years ago for the men's b-ball championship game and really made a difference. They came en masse to a half of a basketball game last year and brought Calihan alive.

In return, I saw several basketball players at a lacrosse game last year.

Maybe they are building something among students athletes. I know they have always supported each other, but men's lacrosse takes it to another level.

If the Whole UDM Lacrosse team is coming out to our game, I think you should too. RedOut at TitanField at 4pm tonight. Be there.
https://twitter.com/Schoolboy_Kev
ExcitedTitan
Senior

Return to LaCrosse