Titans playing professionally

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Titans playing professionally

Postby JimmyChitwood » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:41 am

For those not familiar with professional lacrosse, there are two top leagues, Major League Lacrosse (MLL), which is outdoor played in the spring and summer, and National Lacrosse League (NLL), which is played indoors on covered hockey rinks in the winter and spring (also called Box Lacrosse). The games are different. Indoor has fewer players on the field, smaller goals, larger goalie pads, quicker passing and game play, and is more physical. Detroit used to have a professional indoor team, the Turbos, who played at JLA from 1989-2004. Some players play in both leagues but there is an overlap in the seasons (they need to get straightened out).

Former Titan Shayne Adams was just drafted 21st overall in the second round of the NLL by the Vancouver Stealth. Very exciting for him. He was a scoring machine and should do well.

https://instagram.com/p/8Nmo0jqhvSd3vTY ... dWWgBcIc0/

Former Titan Jordan Houtby continues his professional career and is playing with a new team in Atlanta, the Georgie Swarm (relocated from Minnesota). What is exciting about the Swarm is they are bringing lacrosse to that area of the country and they just drafted Lyle Thompson. Lyle Thompson is a two time college MVP, and a very dynamic players. He was also drafted first in the MLL draft. In addition to Houtby, Lyle joins his brother Miles with the Swarm. The brothers were co-MVP of college lacrosse two years ago at Albany. It will be great for Houtby to play with these guys.

There may be other Titans who have or are playing professionally, but I know of these two.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Re: Titans playing professionally

Postby titanmike » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks for the update. I had read the story about Shayne Adams, very cool. Hopefully this will get noticed in some of the Lacrosse publications enough that kids see it and maybe consider Detroit as an option.
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:37 am

Nice interview with Shayne Adams:
The Vancouver Stealth picked up a great player in this year’s draft with forward Shayne Adams from St. Catherines Ontario and Detroit Mercy. Adams not only had a very successful college career at Detroit where he was one of the best attack man in Division One lacrosse, but also in his Junior A career with his hometown St. Catherines Athletics and finished up playing with the Six Nation Arrows in 2012.

Since then he has played in the MSL for the Oakville Rock and the Kitchener-Waterloo Kodiaks. He also played for the St. Catherines Saints this past summer out of OLA Senior B—they were the host team for the President’s Cup where they finished in third place. I sat down with Shayne to find out more in depth about his lacrosse career and excitement on joining the Stealth and NLL this season.

Q: What was it like to hear your named called on draft night?

A: To hear my name called was a dream come true. In the back of your mind you’re nervous as nothing is guaranteed on draft day. To be picked in this elite class is a special feeling.

Q: What do you think you can bring to help the Stealth win this season?

A: I want to be a guy known for doing the little things right, each practice, shift, or game. Whether it be picks, loose balls, assists, goals, as long as I am helping my teammates end up with a win I’m happy!

Q: When you got hurt at Detroit Mercy you came back to finish off a very strong college career. How does that make you feel? 

A: I owe a lot to the doctors and trainers at my school (University of Detroit Mercy). I got first-class treatment and that allowed me to bounce back the way that I did. It was a learning experience to not take anything for granted as my career could have been over years ago.

Q: Have you played a big part in recruiting the other St. Catherines players to Detroit?

A: I did with specifically Marcus Butters as we played junior and high school together but other than that I cannot take credit for any other recruits. Our Coach Chris Kolon does a great job giving Canadians the best chance to excel at the collegiate level. He is patient, and understands there is a transition period for Canadians never playing American style field lacrosse. Any Canadian should give this program a look, a lot of good things going on in the Motor City; it starts with the culture we built there.

Q: Would you relocate out to Vancouver for the winter?

I am starting by commuting but am looking into heading to Vancouver.

Q: Who has played the biggest part in supporting your lacrosse career?

A: I have to say my Dad has by far. Like any competitive father-son we sometimes butt heads over the years but I know that he brought the best out of me. There’s no better feeling than looking up in the crowd and seeing your parents smiling. I cannot thank them enough!

http://inlacrossewetrust.com/one-on-one ... yne-adams/
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 am

A couple of Titans got drafted in the recent Major League Lacrosse draft. Paul Bitetti '16, defense, was drafted by the Atlanta Blaze in the 13th round. Mike Birney, '15, midfielder, was chosen by the Ohio Machine in the supplemental draft. Good luck gentleman!
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:24 am

JimmyChitwood wrote:A couple of Titans got drafted in the recent Major League Lacrosse draft. Paul Bitetti '16, defense, was drafted by the Atlanta Blaze in the 13th round. Mike Birney, '15, midfielder, was chosen by the Ohio Machine in the supplemental draft. Good luck gentleman!

Thanks for sharing. I had read about Birney, but glad to see Paul Bitetti as well. Wow they have a lot of rounds don't they?
titanmike
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:48 pm

They only have 9 teams, so there are lots of draft rounds. And I wasn't clear, both players were taken in the Supplement Draft. Birney in the 11th round (#98 overall) and Bitetti in the 13th round (#109 overall). It may be difficult for them to make the cut, but they are both good players with a lot to offer a team. I am no MLL expert, but I think they will need to fit a particular need of their teams to stick. While the MLL is professional, almost all players make a living doing something else.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Postby GoTitans » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:47 am

Congratulations to Mike Birney for making the cut for the Ohio Machine (out of Columbus). Two other Titans made the Machine's practice team: Brandon Davenport and Chris Shevins.

https://www.theohiomachine.com/articles ... 7-campaign
GoTitans
Senior

Postby JimmyChitwood » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 am

GoTitans wrote:Congratulations to Mike Birney for making the cut for the Ohio Machine (out of Columbus). Two other Titans made the Machine's practice team: Brandon Davenport and Chris Shevins.

https://www.theohiomachine.com/articles ... 7-campaign

Three former Titans looking for 'ship rings Saturday as they play in the Major League Lacrosse Final against the Denver Outlaws. Go Titans!
http://detroittitans.com/news/2017/8/14 ... nship.aspx

Lax is no longer just an east coach sport. Its growing in Texas, but still not huge, so they are having the championship game there. Interesting choice. Would love to see that game in Detroit.
JimmyChitwood
Senior

Return to LaCrosse