POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you like to see Bacari as the next Titan coach?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 32

Re: POLL: Bacari Alexander?

Postby udballer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:26 pm

You guys are both better than the last couple of posts.

First, the comparison of Izzo to JJ doesn't make any sense. Izzo competes in a 64 team tournament comprised of the top teams in the country and has "given his team a chance" by making it to the Final 4 six times. JJ competed in a tournament where every team is invited regardless of how awful and he's made the Final 4 zero times. Why continue the comparison beyond that?

Secondly, regardless of prior comments, Commish could lead that Mt Clemens team to wins over Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest, Auburn Hills Oakland Christian, Marlette and Madison Heights Bishop Foley to give the team the same "chance". They may not have won by 60 every game... but they would have won.
udballer
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

HSScout1 wrote:FWIW: Bob McDonald, who co-hosts a Horizon League podcast, posted on Twitter that an announcement is coming next week and Bacari is the favorite. Not groundbreaking info, but at the best it's info and at the worst just another opinion

Whoa!! Stop the presses!! :o So now Bacari's the leading candidate?! Wow, that's Woodward and Berstein territory.

By the way, I'm Bob McDonald's source. And he's right. Maybe.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:53 pm

udballer wrote:You guys are both better than the last couple of posts.

First, the comparison of Izzo to JJ doesn't make any sense. Izzo competes in a 64 team tournament comprised of the top teams in the country and has "given his team a chance" by making it to the Final 4 six times. JJ competed in a tournament where every team is invited regardless of how awful and he's made the Final 4 zero times. Why continue the comparison beyond that?

Secondly, regardless of prior comments, Commish could lead that Mt Clemens team to wins over Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest, Auburn Hills Oakland Christian, Marlette and Madison Heights Bishop Foley to give the team the same "chance". They may not have won by 60 every game... but they would have won.

Marlette, you know, was 19-3 that year and had a senior who was D-I signee. If you want to argue he just doesn't have enough experience, I get it. But I just think arguing that a 45-4 record doesn't show coaching ability is sort of a losing hand.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:19 am

UDballer, and Commish, are you guys attorneys? Because I am enjoying the back and forth between you two. Its like a heavyweight championship bout, Ali vs. Frazier, Tyson vs. Holyfield. You both are making great arguments, I'm finding myself agreeing with baller, then commish will post something and I'll agree with him. Vowels definitely has a tough decision to make.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby retspooh » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:01 am

R.B.J1 wrote: Vowels definitely has a tough decision to make.

Actually the decision is quite easy. Select the guy that instantly led the program to championships, including victories over the likes of UCLA and St. John's in the national tournament, the man that exhibited leadership on and off the court as both a collegiate and professional player, was an instant success as a high school coach, and is a leader in the community. Finally, if that isn't enough, he has a son that will be a Mr. Basketball finalist in 2017 and possible Titan player himself.

Folks, the bottom line is that whatever JJ touches turns to gold. I say that because I began to truly follow the program his freshman year. Since the nineties, there has NEVER been a player to have the impact on and off the court as he had. Also, let's not forget he has already influenced talented players to come to UDM. Remember Haralson was a national JC All-American player coming out of Mott and Terrell Riggs was a huge talent coming out of Finney. Now as a coach, he brought in two dynamic players in Mcfolley and Blackshear.

Let's keep the tradition going. Sign the best man for the job Mr. Vowel.

And make no mistake it is JJ.
retspooh
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:47 am

R.B.J1 wrote:UDballer, and Commish, are you guys attorneys? Because I am enjoying the back and forth between you two. Its like a heavyweight championship bout, Ali vs. Frazier, Tyson vs. Holyfield. You both are making great arguments, I'm finding myself agreeing with baller, then commish will post something and I'll agree with him. Vowels definitely has a tough decision to make.

Ha! Maybe I should have went into UDM's Pre-Law program? I went another way, though my only requirement was minimizing the number of mandatory math classes... so I could have at least tried it.

I gotta hand it to you, RBJ1. It's one thing for guys like Commish and Titanmac to disagree with my posts on a message board, but you got me questioning my chosen profession. That's pretty sneaky.
udballer
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 am

retspooh wrote:

Actually the decision is quite easy. Select the guy that instantly led the program to championships, including victories over the likes of UCLA and St. John's in the national tournament, the man that exhibited leadership on and off the court as both a collegiate and professional player, was an instant success as a high school coach, and is a leader in the community. Finally, if that isn't enough, he has a son that will be a Mr. Basketball finalist in 2017 and possible Titan player himself.

Folks, the bottom line is that whatever JJ touches turns to gold. I say that because I began to truly follow the program his freshman year. Since the nineties, there has NEVER been a player to have the impact on and off the court as he had. Also, let's not forget he has already influenced talented players to come to UDM. Remember Haralson was a national JC All-American player coming out of Mott and Terrell Riggs was a huge talent coming out of Finney. Now as a coach, he brought in two dynamic players in Mcfolley and Blackshear.

I agree. Jermaine has the magic touch because he is a winner.

Other successful new hires are Steve Kerr (no prior coaching experience), Mike Matheny (no prior coaching experience) and Brad Stevens (mid major coach) have all succeeded because their teams took a calculated risk and saw they possess the traits that makes them winners despite the lack of a 5 star resume. Remember when posters on this board questioned why the Celtics hired Stevens? Many predicted he would fail. So far he has proven his doubters and naysayers wrong.

Jermaine Jackson has those same qualities to transform our team into a winner.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby titanmac » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:13 pm

right you are voice. the point of his high school success is exactly that. cream rises to the top no matter where it is. getting to the high school quarterfinals with high school athletes in your first years of coaching is a tremendous feat. its ridiculous to say conclude he sucks because he didn't win. its tough to win up there, tho i kinda hate to agree with commish? :) as it is tough to get to the quarterfinals in the ncaa.

if hiring bacari leads to losing jj? its a no brainer for me. keep jj at any cost. we got him on the spot. welcome back.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:13 pm

titanmac wrote:getting to the high school quarterfinals with high school athletes in your first years of coaching is a tremendous feat. its ridiculous to say conclude he sucks because he didn't win.

Again, nobody stated that JJ sucks because he didn't win. I simply stated that his NOT winning isn't somehow proof of his greatness like you seem to believe. He may indeed be a great coach. However, coaching two years of high school Class C basketball with superior talent and not winning doesn't prove that he is.

I realize that your #1 requirement for this position is the "fire in his eyes" requirement... so I get that JJ is your pick regardless of his resume... which is very light on content when it comes to coaching.
udballer
Senior

Postby uofdmik2008 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:19 am

I don't know udballer but 45-4 sounds like winning to me, I agree his resume is light but the argument that he did not win is off. what amazes me is that some people on this thread were happy with coach that was 129-132 and now are not happy with a potential coach with a record of 45-4. I get over simplified and comparing apples to oranges, but I think everyone will agree that JJ lacks the coaching experience and that he is a risk, the greater the risk the greater the reward, cant have one without the other. I believe that Vowels has done a good job of evaluating coaches for other sports and has picked great replacements, so I trust that he will pick the right coach. Valpo, the most successful program over the last 5 years picked a coach with not that much more experience than JJ to head their team, just food for thought.
Mik

University of Detroit Mercy alum 08 and 09
uofdmik2008
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am

titanmac wrote:right you are voice. the point of his high school success is exactly that. cream rises to the top no matter where it is. getting to the high school quarterfinals with high school athletes in your first years of coaching is a tremendous feat. its ridiculous to say conclude he sucks because he didn't win. its tough to win up there, tho i kinda hate to agree with commish? :) as it is tough to get to the quarterfinals in the ncaa.

If it helps, Mac, think of it not as you agreeing with me, but as me agreeing with you. ;-)
Last edited by Commissioner on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Commissioner wrote:
titanmac wrote:right you are voice. the point of his high school success is exactly that. cream rises to the top no matter where it is. getting to the high school quarterfinals with high school athletes in your first years of coaching is a tremendous feat. its ridiculous to say conclude he sucks because he didn't win. its tough to win up there, tho i kinda hate to agree with commish? :) as it is tough to get to the quarterfinals in the ncaa.

If it helps, Mac, think of not as you agreeing with me, but as me agreeing with you. ;-)

LOL. That is fantastic, Commissioner. I will keep it in mind.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:37 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
retspooh wrote:

I agree. Jermaine has the magic touch because he is a winner.

Other successful new hires are Steve Kerr (no prior coaching experience), Mike Matheny (no prior coaching experience) and Brad Stevens (mid major coach) have all succeeded because their teams took a calculated risk and saw they possess the traits that makes them winners despite the lack of a 5 star resume. Remember when posters on this board questioned why the Celtics hired Stevens? Many predicted he would fail. So far he has proven his doubters and naysayers wrong.

Jermaine Jackson has those same qualities to transform our team into a winner.

For those in the JJ for head coach camp, Nate Oats is another example of a successful local high school basketball coach (at Romulus) serving one year as an assistant at Buffalo (under Bobby Hurley) and then taking over the reins when Hurley left and leading Buffalo to the NCAA tournament.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:50 am

Not quite sure how Nate Oats and his experience relates to JJ here? He would be an excellent comparison to Lou Dawkins, however.
udballer
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:56 am

what are you sure of besides wanting bacari?
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:59 am

udballer wrote:Not quite sure how Nate Oats and his experience relates to JJ here? He would be an excellent comparison to Lou Dawkins, however.

Yeah you're right, absolutely no correlation at all. I'm regretting even posting it.
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:38 am

udballer wrote:Not quite sure how Nate Oats and his experience relates to JJ here? He would be an excellent comparison to Lou Dawkins, however.

I see what you mean. The Oats/Dawkins comparison seems to fit better, given that both had long and successful runs as head coaches at class A schools in Michigan, and more than one year as a college assistant.

Actually, while I think all of the candidates being discussed are good candidates. Dawkins might be my favorite.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:52 am

titanmac wrote:what are you sure of besides wanting bacari?

I prefer Dawkins. I've made that clear from the beginning. I've also been clear that I'd prefer any of the three (four, including Stephens) over standing pat with Coach Ray.
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:56 am

Motor City Sam wrote:

I see what you mean. The Oats/Dawkins comparison seems to fit better, given that both had long and successful runs as head coaches at class A schools in Michigan, and more than one year as a college assistant.

Actually, while I think all of the candidates being discussed are good candidates. Dawkins might be my favorite.

See. Sam gets it! :D
udballer
Senior

Postby udballer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Commissioner wrote:
udballer wrote:Now, that said, who was your favorite Titan on the 1985-86 roster? :)

Meanwhile, on important stuff, Greg Wendt. You? I'll just bet you're a Humes guy. Figures. ;)

Can't believe I forgot to respond to this. Glad to see your pick, Commish. That said, unfortunately as I have not yet hit "older than dirt" status, I cannot speak intelligently about the 1985-86 Titans squad. In fact, my basketball knowledge would have been limited to the Detroit Pistons in 1986. It wasn't until 1989 or so that college basketball took the forefront. That said, in retrospect, I picture myself as more of a Tullos guy.
udballer
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball