Hogan is Staying

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby NC Titan » Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 am

Also on the UAB roster, Flint native Denzell Watts, a 6-foot-2 235-pound guard (they grow them big in Flint!!). But he graduates this year. He was on our radar when in high school.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Does anyone know if Hogan is enrolled in summer school at UDM? Or has he made his way south down I-75 to Birmingham.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:27 pm

I have a strong feeling we will have some surprising but good news on Jaleel soon.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:05 am

titanmike wrote:I have a strong feeling we will have some surprising but good news on Jaleel soon.


Huh? What's the scoop now?
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby HSScout1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 am

titanmike wrote:I have a strong feeling we will have some surprising but good news on Jaleel soon.


If it looks like Hogan is staying, and we are adding Tariiq Jones, then either Jones is a walk on or Mendez (who was never announced in a release by the school) or someone else currently on the roster is leaving, because we don't have enough scholarships left for both
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:34 am

From Alabama.com last week:

"Of note, UAB has a verbal commitment from Detroit transfer forward Jaleel Hogan. However, he has not signed yet. There are eligibility issues to work through, so stay tuned. It may be August before there is a resolution."

www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/06/uab ... ormin.html

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z4kXtXqcw7
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 am

I don't know Hogan and his situation, but it's becoming obvious he had some grade issues at Detroit Mercy. I assume his mindset was to transfer, sit out a year, and thus have 2 years to rack up the needed credits to graduate. The possible problem, as he's most likely discovering, is that now he has to open his transcripts to UAB and they get to decide what transfers in. Small and midsized private schools are notorious for having required courses that do not transfer easily, and public schools are notorious for not letting you bring those credits with you. That said, Hogan might have created a much bigger deficit as far as credits. This is partially speculation on my part, but as I stated before, I think Hogan got some bad advice and/or didn't think things through very well. The bottom line is if you're a college athlete and have grade issues, you're better off staying at your school and seeking help 99% of the time - even if that means losing a year or eligibility.
Last edited by Tacitus651 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titanmike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:24 am

HSScout1 wrote:
titanmike wrote:I have a strong feeling we will have some surprising but good news on Jaleel soon.


If it looks like Hogan is staying, and we are adding Tariiq Jones, then either Jones is a walk on or Mendez (who was never announced in a release by the school) or someone else currently on the roster is leaving, because we don't have enough scholarships left for both


It would seem that way
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am

Tacitus651 wrote:I don't know Hogan and his situation, but it's becoming obvious he had some grade issues at Detroit Mercy. I assume his mindset was to transfer, sit out a year, and thus have 2 years to rack up the needed credits to graduate. The possible problem, as he's most likely discovering, is that now he has to open his transcripts to UAB and they get to decide what transfers in. Small and midsized private schools are notorious for having required courses that do not transfer easily, and public schools are notorious for not letting you bring those credits with you. That said, Hogan might have created a much bigger deficit as far as credits. This is partially speculation on my part, but as I stated before, I think Hogan got some bad advice and/or didn't think things through very well. The bottom line is if you're a college athlete and have grade issues, you're better off staying at your school and seeking help 99% of the time - even if that means losing a year or eligibility.

There's no reason he couldn't redshirt at Detroit Mercy for a year.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titanmike » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am

Commissioner wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I don't know Hogan and his situation, but it's becoming obvious he had some grade issues at Detroit Mercy. I assume his mindset was to transfer, sit out a year, and thus have 2 years to rack up the needed credits to graduate. The possible problem, as he's most likely discovering, is that now he has to open his transcripts to UAB and they get to decide what transfers in. Small and midsized private schools are notorious for having required courses that do not transfer easily, and public schools are notorious for not letting you bring those credits with you. That said, Hogan might have created a much bigger deficit as far as credits. This is partially speculation on my part, but as I stated before, I think Hogan got some bad advice and/or didn't think things through very well. The bottom line is if you're a college athlete and have grade issues, you're better off staying at your school and seeking help 99% of the time - even if that means losing a year or eligibility.

There's no reason he couldn't redshirt at Detroit Mercy for a year.


True , I suppose that could be a possibility.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 am

Right, on the surface, red shirting a year at Detroit Mercy makes sense. Again, I don't know all the facts. Maybe he didn't click with BA, maybe he just thinks a fresh start is needed. Maybe he hates snow. But transferring schools when you have academic issues is NOT a fun process. If he stays at UDM he certainly won't lose credit for courses already passed. Hard to say for sure without knowing Hogan or seeing transcripts, but I bet his odds of earning a diploma are higher if he stays in Detroit. Better off redshirting a year, seeing the tutors, and using the summer semesters to earn some credits.
Make Detroit Mercy Do Great Things Again!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/defe ... o-students
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:24 am

Given the silence on the issue and UAB's attempt to get him to sign an LOI with the leaked story to Rothstein, it appears that Jaleel has realized many of the things mentioned by Tacitus. I think it is too soon to speculate on red shirting. My sense is that both Jaleel and the coaches would prefer for him to be eligible this coming season.

I hope that we have to change the title of this thread in the not-too-distant future. Jaleel is a good person. I hope he stays here.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:07 pm

As a minor factor in this, if Jaleel stays, and scores the same # of points as last year, he'll crack the Titans' all-time top 20. With a big season (i.e. about 20 ppg, depending on the # of games) he could crack the top 10. He's already 2nd all-time in field goal percentage, and has the 4th and 9th best single season marks. With a really huge year that's not out of the question for him, he could break Ryvon Covile's single season record of .637 (Jaleel's best single-season mark so far is .620). If he did that, he would probably also pass Eli Holman for the all-time mark. He should crack the top 10 for career blocked shots, and with a big season could crack the top 10 for career field goals made. He was 2nd team all-conference last year (should have been 1st) and is a good bet for all-conference honors for a second year in a row.*

It's a relatively minor thing, I suppose, but I think today's athletes, at ages 18-23, don't really think about a place in the record books. Maybe it's because it's so easy to transfer between high schools and swap AAU teams these days. But I think when you're 55, it's really neat to know that you're remembered as one of a school's all-time greats, rather than a guy who was pretty good for 3 years but then left. And short of being CUSA Player of the Year, his long term place in UAB history will be ephemeral.

We'll see what happens. I still don't expect him back (though I'd very much like to see him back), and I wish him well in any case.

*Here are Titans who have been first or second team all-conference at least twice:
Norm Swanson (MVC)
Guy Sparrow (MVC)
Bill Ebben (MVC)
Joe Kopicki
Keith Gray
Greg Wendt
Archie Tullos
Dwayne Kelley
Tony Tolbert
Derrick Hayes
Jermaine Jackson
Rashad Phillips
Willie Green
Brandon Cotton
Ray McCallum
Juwan Howard, Jr.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4428
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby titandave » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Right, on the surface, red shirting a year at Detroit Mercy makes sense. Again, I don't know all the facts. Maybe he didn't click with BA, maybe he just thinks a fresh start is needed. Maybe he hates snow. But transferring schools when you have academic issues is NOT a fun process. If he stays at UDM he certainly won't lose credit for courses already passed. Hard to say for sure without knowing Hogan or seeing transcripts, but I bet his odds of earning a diploma are higher if he stays in Detroit. Better off redshirting a year, seeing the tutors, and using the summer semesters to earn some credits.

Understand and agree with your point .... his odds of earning a college degree are higher if he stays at UDM and red shirts for a year.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:18 pm

FWIW, Tony Paul of the Detroit News was asked today by an OU fan "you hearing any truth to the rumors Jaleel Hogan may be at Mercy next season after all?" and responded "It's possible."
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Is Hogan enrolled in summer school? UofM fans check the student email directory to determine if players/recruits have enrolled. I wonder if that could be done UDM?
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:Is Hogan enrolled in summer school? UofM fans check the student email directory to determine if players/recruits have enrolled. I wonder if that could be done UDM?

Confirmation of summer school enrollment wouldn't really tell you much. He could be enrolled just to get his grades up to the level needed to be eligible to transfer.

There have been some recent photos on Twitter of the team, one at Coach BA's house for a gathering, the other at a workout in Calihan. Not a definitive indicator of what he will do come this Fall, but I didn't see the big fellow in either shot.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby kirky313 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

UDM's email system does not work like that
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 pm
Location: the clem/yack town

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:36 am

Get over it, Hogan's gone.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Hogan is leaving

Postby R.B.J1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:38 pm

Hoopster_Now_In_DC wrote:Get over it, Hogan's gone.


titanmike wrote:I have a strong feeling we will have some surprising but good news on Jaleel soon.


Titan Mike says we still have a shot. It aint over until Aretha Franklin sings. :D
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests