Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Northern Kentucky Preview and Game Thread

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:40 am

MooseGuy1 wrote::lol: From the mouths of babes...

Taking nothing away from Jaida, I'm sure she's precocious, but when a 9 year old recognizes poor ball movement you really have to wonder what goes on in team meetinhgs and practices.

Jaida's coach emphasizes ball movement, so she always watches for that. :D
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 am

Can we at least try and not resort to name calling even if people disagree? I don't like that in our presidency, I don't like that here.
titanmike
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:22 am

titanmike wrote:Can we at least try and not resort to name calling even if people disagree? I don't like that in our presidency, I don't like that here.

I think we've been trying, but sometimes it's really hard. :D

I'll do my best to not act presidential. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

I was not knocking or denigrating Ray for using JUCO's and transfers to have achieved his quick turnaround in the W-L record. I was noting merely that was his strategy for turning the team around.

Bacari's strategy is different. He is recruiting a more balanced mix of high school players and transfers from JUCO's and 4-yr colleges because he has a different opinion on how to build a program. He has always stated to have a longer-term view on how to build a solid program. The validity of this strategy remains unproven.

Both strategies have pluses and minuses. We benefited from the pluses of Ray's strategy through the 2012-13 season. We experienced the minuses of that strategy after that season. This is fair comment. It is not denigrating Ray to make this comment. Nor is it being used as a crutch for Bacari. Those issues existed before BA was hired and do not depend upon the identity of the replacement hired.

As to stats, if points scored & points allowed are the best criteria for measuring whether a coach is succeeding, then there is some evidence that Bacari may be beginning to succeed on the defensive side of things. Notice I said "may", "beginning", and "defensive side" of the ledger. Clearly, BA has not gotten this team where he wants it.

His stated goals are under 70 points per game allowed; 40% opponent field goal percentage, and 33% or lower opponent 3-pt FG percentage. He said that on last night's coaches' radio show.

During the next 14 games, I will be looking at how often the team achieves those goals in a game and by how much they miss them when they do not meet them in a game.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:54 am

Mike, I totally agree!!!

My Mother used to say, "You don't have to be disagreeable to disagree."
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby udballer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 am

ptctitan wrote:His stated goals are under 70 points per game allowed; 40% opponent field goal percentage, and 33% or lower opponent 3-pt FG percentage. He said that on last night's coaches' radio show.

During the next 14 games, I will be looking at how often the team achieves those goals in a game and by how much they miss them when they do not meet them in a game.

You should start a thread with the first post being the stated goals, and then post a follow up after each game that shows whether the goals were achieved or not. That would be a useful in tracking defensive progress.
udballer
Senior

Postby Motor City Sam » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

titanmike wrote:Can we at least try and not resort to name calling even if people disagree? I don't like that in our presidency, I don't like that here.

Was that in response to my comment? If so, I find it interesting that with all the negative things posted on this board, you once again feel compelled to address something I said.

I will also say that I will respond in kind to negative comments directed my way. As owner of the board, I'm sure you will take whatever steps you feel necessary to keep things the way you want them. I don't have an issue with that. Your house, your rules.
Motor City Sam
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:54 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Mike, I totally agree!!!

My Mother used to say, "You don't have to be disagreeable to disagree."

Conversely, you don't have to disagree to be disagreeable.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Absolutely true!!!!
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 am

Motor City Sam wrote:

Was that in response to my comment? If so, I find it interesting that with all the negative things posted on this board, you once again feel compelled to address something I said.

I will also say that I will respond in kind to negative comments directed my way. As owner of the board, I'm sure you will take whatever steps you feel necessary to keep things the way you want them. I don't have an issue with that. Your house, your rules.

It is in response to anyone who resorts to name calling. If in the thread you called someone a name, then I guess its directed at you, but it was more intended as a comment to everyone. Otherwise I would of specifically said you. A difference between negativity and name calling exists. The one constant is I don't like negativity and I don't like name calling. I much prefer reasonable, logical argument, but often that is tough and I include myself. I get responding in kind to negative comments, I just didn't understand the name calling. I am not taking any steps at all, I appreciate you and your opinion. I merely made a comment that requested we all try and stay away from name calling. However if LivernoisMagic were here, I probably would call him an a** hat. :lol:
titanmike
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball