2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Titans96 wrote:As I was saying, bring in JJJr, there goes the lead.

Definitely participation trophies are in order.


Are you watching? JJJ was in for 2 minutes. TWO MINUTES. We are now down 14 - having swole up once he went to the bench.

I mean, for a second just give your JJJ hate a rest. I know you know hoops and can offer more to this discussion.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby StJoeUofD » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

As my Mother always said -- if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all. About you 96, I will follow her advice.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Just as posted how Long/Chatman/Prince have played entire 2nd half...seems maybe tired legs in play now as they exhausted themselves getting back into the game.

Not sure what we can do to make one more run at GB, the past 2 minutes and extended lead now may not be recoverable.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm

I am watching and working, good that the titans have made somewhat of a game out of it.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 pm

I don’t understand why you can’t see that JJJr is terrible and hurts the team. This isn’t hateful, it’s just the truth. He is 1-5 for god sake and plays no defense. Why put him in EVER? Zero value to the team. Hence we are down 14.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 pm

2017-18, a season I need to remember to forget.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:10 pm

Cole Long adds so much more value and he is sitting so we can have our awesome 3 guard lineup out there. Just terrible coaching.

Coke isn’t that good at all, but he is 100% better than JJJr.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanTarHeel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:14 pm

It IS hateful because you have a laser focus on JJJ and yet no criticism for ANY other player. Nothing for Josh and his shot selection. Nothing for Chatman's lackadasical play. Nothing for anyone else. Just a laser focus on trying to bury JJJ one post on here at a time.

JJJ played a handful of minutes tonight. I think the fact we lost is put on many other players and coaches before JJJ's name is on the list.
TitanTarHeel
Senior
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:26 pm

This year needed to be over. Unfortunately we are exactly what we've demonstrated all season. A bad team that doesn't play together for any more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time. Terrible game planning and in game coaching. A big drop off in interest about the team...and that we couldn't afford. I have no idea where we go from here.

An added reason to be down: I listened to the game on the radio and while I have no complaints about the announcers, I miss Cliff Russell. Maybe I'm just too sensitive but this whole season has been awful.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby udballer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 pm

We ended the season playing the same porous defense we played to start the season. Very fitting. I'll update the defensive goals post and PTC will no doubt forget it ever existed. This staff has created an 8 win team, not the other way around. This season was an utter embarrassment.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Titans96 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:23 pm

TitanTarHeel wrote:It IS hateful because you have a laser focus on JJJ and yet no criticism for ANY other player. Nothing for Josh and his shot selection. Nothing for Chatman's lackadasical play. Nothing for anyone else. Just a laser focus on trying to bury JJJ one post on here at a time.

JJJ played a handful of minutes tonight. I think the fact we lost is put on many other players and coaches before JJJ's name is on the list.


My “laser focus on JJJr” is totally justified. He played more than half the game, shot 1-5, played the worst defense of anyone on the team and only had 2 assists.

McFolley played 32 minutes with more points, assists and much better defense than JJJr.
Allen played only 22 minutes and had 18 points and played better defense than JJJr.
Chatman played most of the game and was leading scorer and was the major reason for the come from behind play in the 2nd half.
Long played 29 minutes with 10 points and much better defense and hustle than JJJr.
Black played the same amount of time as JJJr, but had more points, more assists and much better defense than JJJr.

So there are the facts. Why is JJJr in the game TarHeel? He is awful. Accept the facts.
Titans96
Senior
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:20 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby MooseGuy1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Titans96 wrote:
TitanTarHeel wrote:It IS hateful because you have a laser focus on JJJ and yet no criticism for ANY other player. Nothing for Josh and his shot selection. Nothing for Chatman's lackadasical play. Nothing for anyone else. Just a laser focus on trying to bury JJJ one post on here at a time.

JJJ played a handful of minutes tonight. I think the fact we lost is put on many other players and coaches before JJJ's name is on the list.


My “laser focus on JJJr” is totally justified. He played more than half the game, shot 1-5, played the worst defense of anyone on the team and only had 2 assists.

McFolley played 32 minutes with more points, assists and much better defense than JJJr.
Allen played only 22 minutes and had 18 points and played better defense than JJJr.
Chatman played most of the game and was leading scorer and was the major reason for the come from behind play in the 2nd half.
Long played 29 minutes with 10 points and much better defense and hustle than JJJr.
Black played the same amount of time as JJJr, but had more points, more assists and much better defense than JJJr.

So there are the facts. Why is JJJr in the game TarHeel? He is awful. Accept the facts.


The loss is on a lot of people. JJJ is not the difference between a disaster like 2017-18 and an NCAA bid. The kid was continuallly misused as an undersized freshman. There were rarely consequences for his bad play. But that's not on him. It's obvious that JJS thinks he has an NBA player in his son and believes letting him shoot triples is the ticket. He made bonehead first year moves like most freshmen do but it was enabled by an indulgent father and a feckless head coach. In some ways, Kam got some of the family discount, too. Though a much more accomplished player at this stage, his refusal to play much defense was never addressed. He has a nice touch but no stomach for playing inside or on defense. But, again, this tendency was willfully ignored by the staff.

Having 2 guys flame out on grades is also unacceptable and speaks to a general lack of discipline. As does the infamous and juvenile "SMD" comment by the man who will instill "Titan Values" again.

Josh McFolley is far and away a superior guard but had the shortest leash I've ever seen for a player of his skills and passion.

Ditto, Corey Allen, but I'll refrain from commenting more until I hear about the extent his injury issues. But he wasn't injured all year, was he?

Prince became a favorite of mine as he at least played hard and showed a presence in the low post that belies his size but speaks volumes about his determination.

Dre Black and Cole Long are two bright spots. Though, given their talent levels should not be relied upon to play so many minutes. But the effort was always there.

This coaching staff has shown absolutely nothing in their time here to convince me that they are up to the job. Sadly, Bacari's best moment was his introdution speech.
MooseGuy1
Senior
 
Posts: 3626
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby MotownTitan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:52 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I'm calling that Oakland will win the tournament. It's just a hunch but despite the injuries and now lacking a deep bench, they still have the best two players in the league, they're the only team to place two on the All-League 1st Team, one who is POY. They have something to prove; the pressure is off and they are under the radar. It's a short series and in a short series experience and talent wins so Oakland is the favorite and will win it all.

However, I am rooting for our Titans to prove me wrong..... Go Titans!


Oakland lost to WSU twice, NKU, UIC, and GB once each with a healthy team. They will probably beat IUPUI, but no way they run the table.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 am

MotownTitan wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I'm calling that Oakland will win the tournament. It's just a hunch but despite the injuries and now lacking a deep bench, they still have the best two players in the league, they're the only team to place two on the All-League 1st Team, one who is POY. They have something to prove; the pressure is off and they are under the radar. It's a short series and in a short series experience and talent wins so Oakland is the favorite and will win it all.

However, I am rooting for our Titans to prove me wrong..... Go Titans!


Oakland lost to WSU twice, NKU, UIC, and GB once each with a healthy team. They will probably beat IUPUI, but no way they run the table.


we'll see.........
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 pm

JJJ was not the reason for our bad season. He along with Josh were the only players to exhibit any quickness. We were beaten to 80% of the loose balls and never rotated properly on D. I was glad to hear Corey played injured. I was afraid he had lost his heart. Playing in pain is tough and not everyone can do it. I haven't been able to post for awhile as I misplaced my password but had I voted on the coaching staff I would have given them another year. What has happened is their doing and they need to improve but I did feel from the beginning that it took way to long for BA to come aboard and by then it was to late to have a decent recruiting class. The loss of so many players over the last 2 years to grades does reflect a lack of attention to detail. We seemed to get winded quickly which also shows a lack of conditioning. I am hoping we get 5 very athletic recruits and someone takes over as a leader and we start to condition and strengthen ourselves for next year ASAP. I am looking for Corey or Josh to become the leaders and hope Chatman can gain strength and quickness and a desire for team success.
upbasketballfan
Senior
 
Posts: 1579
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 pm

I do not think that anyone here expected Hogan to return out of shape. Setting aside the grade issue, his lack of form at the beginning of the season did not help. We expected Chatman and Prince to be key additions along with the Hogan of 2016-17. Hogan was also the leader on this year's team. His absence hurt.

I agree with up's assessment. We may have a bunch of talented shooters, but most of our key players are not very quick to the ball. And, given that Corey played through a painful knee injury plus the flu this year, added respect for such a tough competitor. It's hard to jump well if you knee is in pain.

Like upbasketballfan, I hope that a player steps up to be next season's leader. It could be Josh. It could be Cam. It could be Corey. We have two promising recruits signed. I hope we land a strong post player.

While unusual, turnarounds can take 3-4 years to materialize. Especially when a program has been neglected by the school admin for decades. Commissioner mentioned Homer Drew. His first 5 years performances were:

1) 10-19, 2) 4-24, 3) 5-22, 4) 5-22; and, 5) 12-16.

In 7 of the next 8 seasons, his teams won 20 or more games and went to the NCAA in 6 of those 8 years. I hope our turnaround does not take that long.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Watching the NKU CSU game on tv, I can't imagine this is even remotely worth it for Olympia entertainment. My guess is that HL goes back to tourney games on campus sites very soon.
Detroit Mercy does not provide public comment on internal personnel issues!
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 pm

CSU just knocked off #1 seeded NKU by 9 points. NKU will get an automatic bid to the NIT. Looked to be about 500 people in the stands at the LCA.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
MotownTitan wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I'm calling that Oakland will win the tournament. It's just a hunch but despite the injuries and now lacking a deep bench, they still have the best two players in the league, they're the only team to place two on the All-League 1st Team, one who is POY. They have something to prove; the pressure is off and they are under the radar. It's a short series and in a short series experience and talent wins so Oakland is the favorite and will win it all.

However, I am rooting for our Titans to prove me wrong..... Go Titans!


Oakland lost to WSU twice, NKU, UIC, and GB once each with a healthy team. They will probably beat IUPUI, but no way they run the table.


we'll see.........


Motown, you made good points about the teams Oakland has lost to during the season but now NKU and GB are eliminated before Oakland has even played. All they have to do is beat IUPUI and Cleveland State to get to the championship game. That's like a couple of T-Ball games for them. Like I said before my hunch is that Oakland will win it all.....
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: 2018 Horizon League Basketball Tournament

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 am

TitanVoiceofReason wrote:
MotownTitan wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:I'm calling that Oakland will win the tournament. It's just a hunch but despite the injuries and now lacking a deep bench, they still have the best two players in the league, they're the only team to place two on the All-League 1st Team, one who is POY. They have something to prove; the pressure is off and they are under the radar. It's a short series and in a short series experience and talent wins so Oakland is the favorite and will win it all.

However, I am rooting for our Titans to prove me wrong..... Go Titans!


Oakland lost to WSU twice, NKU, UIC, and GB once each with a healthy team. They will probably beat IUPUI, but no way they run the table.


we'll see.........


Motown, you made good points about the teams Oakland has lost to during the season but now NKU and GB are eliminated before Oakland has even played. All they have to do is beat IUPUI and Cleveland State to get to the championship game. That's a couple of T-Ball games for them. Like I said before my hunch is that Oakland will win it all.....
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests