Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponents?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Next year's schedule. What to expect? Your top 3 opponen

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am

Original post moved to Grievances thread.
Last edited by ptctitan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:47 am

And the top 3 opponents you'd like to see next season?
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:55 am

I would like to see Loyola, Notre Dame and either Marquette or Dayton if we can not get three from that four then maybe the Bonnies or St. Johns.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:58 am

I'd like to see some of our traditional rivals like Georgetown, Dayton, Marquette, Xavier or even Notre Dame. We used to play ND home and home.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

I like the idea of Loyola but I picked DePaul over them. I think a non-conference game in Chicago is critical. Our games against UIC seem to not be conducive for travel (usually not Saturday or Sunday games, and we can't really control that). Plus, UIC isn't a great experience because of low attendance, and the weather during conference play is generally worse.

I'd pick DePaul over Loyola because of their new stadium and we'd have a shot a a win. Would be great to get a Saturday game against either one though and organize something like we did during the Ray days.

My picks are Santa Clara, ND, DePaul.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby udballer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:55 pm

I'd like to see us play DePaul, Evansville and Incarnate Word.

DePaul for the reasons Tacitus mentioned, plus I was a huge Mark Aguirre fan growing up.

Evansville because they are an old rival and I liked the old t- shirt jerseys they used to wear. Fun fact, Evansville was one of 4 colleges I applied to as a senior in high school.

Incarnate Word simply so we can show potential recruits a less appealing jersey up close.
udballer
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Perhaps the Titans could take a trip to TX and get two road games on one trip. Incarnate Word is in San Antonio which is a fun town.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:35 pm

It was easier to schedule big-name opponents back in the days when so many of them were independents. Today most schools have a couple of dozen spots taken up by conference games and less latitude in scheduling. Back when I was at UofD we played Notre Dame twice a year but they weren't a power like they are today, weren't in a conference, and if it wasn't football so Notre Dame didn't care.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Titans96 wrote:Like usual Commissioner, your fictional analysis and beliefs that you are all knowing are wrong. Seriously you might want to do better fact checking. Plus, your efforts to ridicule me (along with others) is clearly just you reaching to hide your inefficiencies. I know it’s hard for you to admit many of your predictions over the past few years have been wrong, but it’s ok. Let it out. Maybe you will feel better after doing so.

I point this out yet again...the vast majority of us have the same feelings about the team, the state of the program, and our patience level with Vowels and BA at this point. This is true of how Commish and 96 feel as exhibited by their posts.

And yet somehow yet again 96 is fighting with someone on the board and getting called out for his nastiness. At some point 96, you need to look around and think "gee its not everyone else that has a problem, maybe I'm the one that has a problem". You are an outlyer on the board for your posts and the level of nasty included in them, and with your relentless ability to try to internet fight with anyone/everyone on here (your fellow Titan fans).

Take all that as constructive feedback. Or throw it away, totally up to you. As I mentioned in another thread, i'm sure in person and over beers you aren't half as obnoxious as you come across on here. I wish we saw that 96 on the board and you were someone that people enjoyed bantering with on the board.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:03 pm

im pretty sure he is tth. im pretty sure he is.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby UDDRUMMER » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Wayne State
I got a fever..the only prescription is more COWBELL!

UDM Alum Class of 2012
http://youtu.be/fyV2cPLuFuA
UDDRUMMER
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Georgia State.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am

Short answer: Marquette, St. Bonaventure (if Home & home), Loyola (aim for Home & Home)

Long Answer (cause it's me):
Guarantee Games (I assume we'll continue to play 2-3/yr): Marquette, Xavier, Michigan, (sad that that's the best we'd do with Xavier and Marquette, teams we old guys remember as regular H&H rivals). Others to consider: Dayton (I'd like to hope we can still get a 2-1 w/ Dayton, but I doubt it); Michigan State; Notre Dame, Georgetown, St. John's (thinking kids might like trip to DC or NYC). Last two could be winnable games with decent guarantees.

Home & Home Series (Also, I'd take a 2-1 with any of the guarantee teams above, or in some cases even a 3-1).
Loyola -- old rival, probably still can schedule H & H and should do it while we can
DePaul -- still something of a name, a Big East schedule, and has been willing to do H & H with some mid-majors
St. Bonaventure -- will have some cache off this year's tournament win; old rival; lose their two best players, so won't be a crusher; Catholic; getting a H&H will be tough but may be doable.

I also think we should have 1-2 of Eastern, Western, and Central on the menu every year, and wouldn't mind us continuing to schedule--and trying to pump a bit more--a rivalry with Toledo.

Other considerations: Having just listed a bunch of tough guarantee and H & H series, I continue to think we should schedule down next year. Just get some Ws, and quite starting the season with a bunch a road game losses.

So I'd see our usual two non-DI games, and then I'd like to see us schedule some MEAC/SWAC type teams. Not always easy, because the big boys will pay them big guarantees that we can't match, and they don't care that much about getting H & H series. But how about H & H series with Bethune-Cookman? A chance to take the kids to Florida in winter. Alabama State? It at least sounds like a decent game to the casual fan. Stetson--trip to Florida. Lots of other bad teams in Florida-- Fordham (A10, but rarely any good, kids get to visit NYC).

Some other teams that might realistically schedule H & Hs with us, but would be a step up:
Duquesne
Indiana State
Evansville
La Salle

I'd look at H & H with Patriot teams. Not a step up in hoops, but the kind of schools we ought to want to pal around with for academic and other reasons: Bucknell, Boston U., Lehigh, Colgate etc. Boston U. sounds like a big game to some casual fans, too. Colgate was decent this year, but they're usually quite bad, fitting my "let's get some Ws" philosophy. Army would be another Patriot team to look at.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:12 pm

I think we should focus on H & H games against schools in the Carolinas. :roll:
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Right on Commish! Scheduling down next year makes a whole lot of sense. It doesn't really matter what our Strength of Schedule is -- if our record is 8-20, the RPI stinks and the SoS doesn't do anything for us. Why not grab some lower valued wins (if we can). Let's go 13-15 and who cares if our RPI is a shade lower due to the weaker schedule. Everyone will feel better about the record and getting some actual wins. Only nerds like us follow the Titans AND are into the depths of RPI calculations.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Here are some teams looking for games at Basketball Travelers, the D-I scheduling board, that I wouldn't mind considering and might be realistic possibilities.

St. Mary's. Want a h & H starting there. They may not be interested in us, but if we could tie it with a visit to 1-2 more west coast teams, it would be great I think.
San Francisco. Offering a guarantee. There you go--let's head out to the Bay area, pick up a check from our Jesuit sister and then play at St. Mary's.
Cal Santa Barbara. Still thinking west coast-- wants a H & H. Beautiful area.
Denver wants to start a H & H there. Maybe that's a link to St. Mary's. Play Denver, fly on.

Central Florida -- offering a guarantee. Probably not the highest guarantee out there, but a trip to Florida and a more winnable game than some guarantees.
Stetson -- let's go to Florida for a home & home. Stetson loses 4 of top 5 scorers from a 12-20 team, so it meets my "let's schedule some wins theory."

Evansville--wants to start "multiple" home & home series.
Eastern Michigan -- looking for 3 home & home series. This strikes me as a "duh" move.
Drake -- wants Home & home. MVC team, usually in bottom half of conference.

Fordham -- offering a guarantee. Let's show the kids the Big Apple and play a beatable A10 team on a guarantee while we're at it.
Hofstra -- wants home & home. Add it to the NY trip.
Manhattan -- they won't be any good next year. Wants H&H.
Canisius -- wants H&H
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby MooseGuy1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Eastern Michigan should be a no brainer to me. As should be Toledo.

San Francisco is a great choice because we already play Oakland twice a year and from what I can tell, OU is not the nicest place in the Bay Area.
MooseGuy1
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 am

The 2018 Legends Classic Field has been announced:

It appears we are hosting a sub regional (Nov 19/20), with the 3 other smaller programs visiting us. In addition, we will visit one on the "major" teams

Detroit
St Johns
Temple
Cal
VCU
Bowling Green
Hampton
Loyola (Maryland)

http://detroittitans.com/news/2018/3/28/mens-basketball-titans-to-host-legends-classic-subregional-in-november.aspx
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:39 am

HSScout1 wrote:The 2018 Legends Classic Field has been announced:

It appears we are hosting a sub regional (Nov 19/20), with the 3 other smaller programs visiting us. In addition, we will visit one on the "major" teams

Detroit
St Johns
Temple
Cal
VCU
Bowling Green
Hampton
Loyola (Maryland)

http://detroittitans.com/news/2018/3/28/mens-basketball-titans-to-host-legends-classic-subregional-in-november.aspx

That’s actually pretty attractive. St. John’s and Temple would provide nice road trips to NYC and Philly. The BGSU Falcons will bring a few fans with them to Calihan. Hampton is a winnable game, although we may be an underdog in every matchup next season. Loyola (Md.) provides an opportunity to host a Jesuit Spotlight game, (https://www.jesuitbasketball.com), and maybe some folks will think they’re the Final Four team from Chicago.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:50 am

I actually like this announcement a lot.
udballer
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball