Who would be your next coach

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Who would be your next coach

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I would go with Andy Bronkema because one he lives in Michigan, secondly he is a young up and coming coach and thirdly he has a proven track record with Ferris State.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Re: Who would be your next coach

Postby R.B.J1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:55 am

I have thought about who should be hired as our next coach. Dwayne Stephens popped in my mind, but he might be tainted now. Mcsam was in favor of hiring Lou Dawkins. I am sure we will have plenty of candidates, either this spring or next spring. Bleacher Report had an article about up and coming assistant coaches last fall, none of them pique my interest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740 ... in-2017-18

I think we should take a look at Lindsey Hunter, he had a nice nba career, and the parents of potential recruits in metro Detroit should remember him from his days as a Piston. He is currently an assistant coach at Buffalo.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/coac ... y?view=bio
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 am

R.B.J1 wrote:I have thought about who should be hired as our next coach. Dwayne Stephens popped in my mind, but he might be tainted now. Mcsam was in favor of hiring Lou Dawkins. I am sure we will have plenty of candidates, either this spring or next spring. Bleacher Report had an article about up and coming assistant coaches last fall, none of them pique my interest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740 ... in-2017-18

I think we should take a look at Lindsey Hunter, he had a nice nba career, and the parents of potential recruits in metro Detroit should remember him from his days as a Piston. He is currently an assistant coach at Buffalo.

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/coac ... y?view=bio

I like both these pick but I would be concerned that they are only assistant coaches since BA was an assistant coach from UM. My feeling is still give BA one more year to turn this thing around .
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:36 am

Michael Thomas. Young, energetic, defense-focused. Multiple Class A state championships. Contacts throughout the state (Flint, Saginaw, Kalamazoo). Currently in process of turning a subpar Class A team into a state contender in year 1. College coaching experience, college playing experience... though at a lower level. He should cost us less than the current staff and deliver much, much more.
udballer
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Obviously you have to look at the whole package and who is right for the job. I wouldn't start by automatically ruling out anybody who doesn't meet some specific criteria. But that said, I want someone who has been a successful head coach. And that said, I expect BA to be back.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Commissioner wrote:Obviously you have to look at the whole package and who is right for the job. I wouldn't start by automatically ruling out anybody who doesn't meet some specific criteria. But that said, I want someone who has been a successful head coach. And that said, I expect BA to be back.

For example, I'd want someone like John Becker at Vermont. His reported salary there is $275K. We probably can't get him--they are raising funds for a new, $80 million athletic complex, and he turned down the Duquesne job last year. But that's the kind of guy I'd want. He's 49.

Casey Alexander at Lipscomb earns about $250K, maybe less. He took over a team coming off back-to-back 18 loss seasons. He's in his 5th year, and they're having their second straight 20-win season. Before that he was head coach at Stetson, where he took over a team that had won 7 and 8 games in the two prior years, and got them to 15 wins in year two, when he left for Lipscomb. Before that, he was an assistant at Belmont. He's 45, and a proven winner.

Pat Kelsey at Winthrop earns $227,500. He accepted the Massachusetts job last year, then changed his mind and returned to Winthrop. A la Don Haskins, when he got to UMass he said it "just didn't feel right." Winthrop was 13-17 and 12-20 in the two years before he took over. They went 14-17, then won 20 games in year two. They've won 19, 23, 26, and 18 (so far) since. Before that he graduated from and was an assistant at Xavier, so he's got the Catholic thing and some knowledge of our area and Xavier's successful program. He's 42. We probably can't get him--he'll hold out for a better job--but that's the kind of record I'm looking for.

Bashir Mason at Wagner is just 34. He's a Hurley family protege, who has won 61 games the past three seasons at the little Staton Island college. He's paid under $200K at Wagner.

Rob Krimmel at St. Francis is 41. They've won 18 games this year, the most since Jim Baron was coach in 1991. In the 7 years before Krimmel took over, they hadn't won more than 11 games in a season.

Bob Richey at Furman is 32, and has won 22 games in his first season. He's almost certainly getting paid less than $200K.

I'd also take a proven D-II winner, like Andy Bronkema from Ferris State. Early 30s in age, ranked #2 in the country, a winner as a player (Cornerstone) and head coach.

In other words, as low as we've sunk the last few years, the salary and resources here still make this a pretty good job compared to many others. I'm not suggesting that any of these guys are THE GUY. They are just a few examples of young guys out there who are proven winners, many proven turn-around artists, for whom the Detroit job should still be attractive, and that's what I'm looking for.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby udballer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Good post, Commish. I'll take any of these guys if Thomas turns us down. ;)
udballer
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:48 pm

I agree, excellent post. I don’t know if we could get many of these but maybe
the Ferris coach whose name has come up before. I think we are a high risk/reward
school so we have to pay. On the other hand, maybe Bacari can himself win 15 next year
and start digging out of the hole he is in. I still believe he was the right choice and can
still win at this level. But even I would lose patience with another 8 win season.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby StJoeUofD » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm

I am not sure I would start by looking for a young guy. I think I would look for a steely veteran that is looking for his last chance to turn around a program. He would be old enough (over 60) to get great respect and patient enough to handle all the negative vibes that are around the program. One of his charges would be to find a couple asst. coaches that could be developed into the next head coach. Set up your system, train the assistants in what respect for the game and responsibility to the team are all about, then pass it along in 3-5 years. For a guy like that money doesn't matter, only the challenge.

If you are going young, get Andy Bronkema.
StJoeUofD
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:39 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:I would go with Andy Bronkema because one he lives in Michigan, secondly he is a young up and coming coach and thirdly he has a proven track record with Ferris State.

Guess who won division 2 NCAA tournament. Yes Andy Bronkema the next UDM coach!!(fake new we don’t have that pull)
Last edited by JDetroitTitan on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Lavar Ball. He can bring in a shoe contract and, in keeping with U-D tradition, he can bring in family members.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby kirky313 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Rp3... Just like what Memphis just did last week.
UDM,DUKE
kirky313
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Willie Green?
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Andy Bronkema
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:Willie Green?

That would be a home run hire, but would he be interested? He's probably making at least $500,000, living in California, the Golden State Warriors are perennial contenders. He doesnt have to recruit or deal with boosters,demanding alumni, and a few fans. If I was Willie Green...I'd say thanks, but no thanks.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:59 pm

A related topic should be: "How long after JJ gets fired before JJJ transfers?". Followed by "Who would take him?"
Answers: Immediately and CCNY.
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby Titans96 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 pm

We can only hope... It certainly wouldn't hurt the Titans.

JJJr would leave immediately. No one would want him except maybe Houston Baptist or Incarnate Word.
Titans96
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 pm

I would like for the titans to at least interview Montana's head coach Travis DeCuire, his team played very disciplined against Michigan in the NCAA tournament and actually had the wolverines down 10-0. If he can get players to sign with him to attend school in Missoula, Montana, he should able to do really well getting players to Detroit. I am sure he wants to get the heck out of Montana too.

https://gogriz.com/coaches.aspx?rc=192&path=mbball
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:35 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:I would like for the titans to at least interview Montana's head coach Travis DeCuire, his team played very disciplined against Michigan in the NCAA tournament and actually had the wolverines down 10-0. If he can get players to sign with him to attend school in Missoula, Montana, he should able to do really well getting players to Detroit. I am sure he wants to get the heck out of Montana too.

https://gogriz.com/coaches.aspx?rc=192&path=mbball

Nice fine. I like that he has a solid record
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:36 pm

One thing is clear. Some posters here will not be happy with whatever Vowels decides.
ptctitan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball