Accepted Students Day 2018

Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:28 am

I was on campus this past Saturday for Accepted Students Day, and was very impressed with the well-run event. Activities included a Future Leaders Breakfast, time to meet the faculty, a "Beyond the Books" look at campus life, Student Organization Fair, a luncheon, and breakout sessions on a variety of topics including leadership & service, career education services, study abroad opportunities, public safety, the Student Success Center, scholarship and financial aid, and University Ministry. The day concluded with a Presidential Reception in the Student Fitness Center. They gave out Detroit Mercy tee-shirts to all student attendees. There was a nice glossy brochure available specific to the event with agenda and other information. Alumni were invited to mingle with the student and parent guests. Approximately 600 people were in attendance including 238 students.

Photos from the event can be found at:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/udmercy/pho ... 3173998896
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 2935
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby titanmike » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:I was on campus this past Saturday for Accepted Students Day, and was very impressed with the well-run event. Activities included a Future Leaders Breakfast, time to meet the faculty, a "Beyond the Books" look at campus life, Student Organization Fair, a luncheon, and breakout sessions on a variety of topics including leadership & service, career education services, study abroad opportunities, public safety, the Student Success Center, scholarship and financial aid, and University Ministry. The day concluded with a Presidential Reception in the Student Fitness Center. They gave out Detroit Mercy tee-shirts to all student attendees. There was a nice glossy brochure available specific to the event with agenda and other information. Alumni were invited to mingle with the student and parent guests. Approximately 600 people were in attendance including 238 students.

Photos from the event can be found at:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/udmercy/pho ... 3173998896


Nothing on athletics ?
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby Dick Vitale » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing this. Great things are happening there. I mean boundless things are happening there. :)
Dick Vitale
Senior
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby StJoeUofD » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 am

The next scholarship offer the University should make is not for an athlete, but to offer David Hogg a full ride in Political Science and Journalism. We need students just like that. Every day for the last 50 years I have been personally thankful that some Jesuit priests were willing to offer a scholarship to the University of Detroit to a non-Catholic, poor kid from a tiny village in Indiana who had more passion to learn than money. This is the true mission.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 am

StJoeUofD wrote:The next scholarship offer the University should make is not for an athlete, but to offer David Hogg a full ride in Political Science and Journalism. We need students just like that. Every day for the last 50 years I have been personally thankful that some Jesuit priests were willing to offer a scholarship to the University of Detroit to a non-Catholic, poor kid from a tiny village in Indiana who had more passion to learn than money. This is the true mission.


Uh yeah, NO!
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby StJoeUofD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 am

Exactly the type of response I would have expected.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby titanmike » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 am

StJoeUofD wrote:Exactly the type of response I would have expected.


Ha, then I have not disappointed.
titanmike
Senior
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby dtowntitan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:31 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:The next scholarship offer the University should make is not for an athlete, but to offer David Hogg a full ride in Political Science and Journalism. We need students just like that. Every day for the last 50 years I have been personally thankful that some Jesuit priests were willing to offer a scholarship to the University of Detroit to a non-Catholic, poor kid from a tiny village in Indiana who had more passion to learn than money. This is the true mission.


Agree! We need more students who show passion for what they believe in, regardless of what that may be, or if we agree with it.
dtowntitan
Senior
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:06 am

Amen, dtown!

As a student at U of D in the late 1960s, I saw first hand a lot of opinions, unlike my hick town in Indiana where hey had only one idea and, in their opinion, it was righteously and absolutely correct. I was fortunate to have priests who taught liberation theology and orthodox Catholicism, business professors that taught both Socialism and Chicago School conservative Economics, history professors that were raised and educated on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Most importantly, I met people of different skin colors, different cultures, different homelands and different opinions. That ingrained in my heart the right of everyone to their opinion, regardless of how much I disagree. It didn't teach me to keep my mouth shut, but it did teach me to keep my ears open all of the time. If I had kept count over my lifetime, I am sure I would have found that I learned as much from those I disagreed with as I learned from those that just reinforced my opinion. Hopefully for this nation, the polarization and absolutism of news dissemination does not cause America to be as divided as it was 50 years ago (and also 150 years ago) where Fathers hated their Sons and Siblings took sides on issues that ended up dividing families forever.

I will always be tolerant of my Titan brothers and sisters. Their views inspire me, tickle me and, I admit, sometimes piss me off. On top of all this, I am a Titan fan (regardless of the name of the school) and will always feel affection toward anyone that cheers for My Titans!
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:03 pm

I think we should confer an honorary doctorate to our President. The truth is, the Chicago School and socialism are both crap. The American School of economics is the only way to protect American workers and industry, specifically the auto industry in what is the greatest state in the union, Michigan.

I know he will never let me down.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby StJoeUofD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 pm

Tacitus - can't wait to visit So. Bend again and buy you some pizza at Barnaby's. I am sure we could shut down the place without agreeing on anything. The only ground rules are that only one guy can talk at a time. I will bring the talking stick.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:11 pm

StJoeUofD wrote:Tacitus - can't wait to visit So. Bend again and buy you some pizza at Barnaby's. I am sure we could shut down the place without agreeing on anything. The only ground rules are that only one guy can talk at a time. I will bring the talking stick.


I'd like that very much. I drive by that place every day but have never been in.

Really, StJoe, you need to educate me about how to retire abroad. If it's true you really live in Italy. I admire the heck out of that.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby StJoeUofD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 am

Who said I was retired. I may be old, but I am far from retired.

At the moment I run WeatherTech Europe from their offices in Sorbolo, Italy (near Parma). I have no intention on retiring. Working is too much fun. Everyday I get to work with a bunch of young people who challenge my every thought, but listen to all my experiences while traveling throughout Europe, the Middle East, Eurasia and Africa. All I miss is being able to see my Titans in person and the sunsets on Lake Michigan.

You should stop at Barnaby's on the way home from work. Digger will show up there from time to time. I am sure it is still his favorite pizza place.
StJoeUofD
Senior
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Re: Accepted Students Day 2018

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am

I'm even more impressed by this. When you said you wanted the university to offer Hogg a full ride, I just assumed you were a lefty do nothing and that you had orchestrated a great scheme collecting SS from the US and also welfare from the Italian government. Maybe while residing in one of those rustic dwellings you can buy in Italian villages for $1. I've been tempted myself to buy a Sardinian shanty and fix it up. But alas, I'd miss SB weather too much. And, while writing a book about my experience would clearly be a NYT bestseller, it would reduce the amount of posts I could make on this board. And that wouldn't be fair to all of my fans.

I actually have seen Digger at a bar in town before. I have a story about that when you come back home.

Ciao.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests