Mike Davis

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Mike Davis

Postby Titans03 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 pm

A poster on the Milwaukee message board said a source told him Stan Heath is our man.
Titans03
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Titans03 wrote:A poster on the Milwaukee message board said a source told him Stan Heath is our man.

This would be a terrible hire and another reason we should fire Vowels.
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 am

MotownTitan wrote:
Titans03 wrote:A poster on the Milwaukee message board said a source told him Stan Heath is our man.

By no means am I certain that it is or isn't Stan Heath, but why in the world would Stan Heath be a bad hire?
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am

titanmike wrote:
MotownTitan wrote:

By no means am I certain that it is or isn't Stan Heath, but why in the world would Stan Heath be a bad hire?

Stan Heath has a record of 209-206. Heath got 30 of those wins with a ready made team put together by Gary Waters,led by futute NFL hall of famer Antonio Gates. I would rather roll the dice with Lou Dawkins, at least there is a possibility that he could be an excellent coach. We already know that Heath is a very average coach. He lost to Ray Mccallum twice. I bet there are very few D1 coaches who have coached against Ray McCallum multiple times and are winless against him. I am a life long walmart wolverine during the football season, if Robert Vowels hires Stan Heath as our next basketball coach I will become a full blown Wal-Mart wolverine during the college basketball season also. Hiring Heath will truly be the straw that broke my back as a titan fan.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 am

Well it’s uhhh Tuesday and uhhh no coach!
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am

Titans03 wrote:Well it’s uhhh Tuesday and uhhh no coach!

This song says it all:

https://youtu.be/1VkZzgTuULY

Note T-Bone references “Mercy” (understandably a little confused about branding) in the second half of the video.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:07 am

titanmike wrote:By no means am I certain that it is or isn't Stan Heath, but why in the world would Stan Heath be a bad hire?

We would have to perform solid due diligence on why the University of South Florida program began to crater under Heath. He went 12-19 and 12-20 in his last two years there. In both years, USF was 3-15 in conference. It was during those two years that Ray's teams beat them handily. And they had some allegedly good recruits including a strong center who transferred to Florida. He was fired and replaced by Orlando Antigua who was their version of Bacari, taking that program to even greater depths in a short time there. Heath's record at USF was 97-129.

There was an academic investigation into men's basketball at USF under Antigua; and, we need to be certain that those issues did not begin under Heath.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 am

This looks like Vowels formula for Men's Basketball success 5 -5 +0 = 0.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue May 22, 2018 9:30 am

ptctitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:By no means am I certain that it is or isn't Stan Heath, but why in the world would Stan Heath be a bad hire?

We would have to perform solid due diligence on why the University of South Florida program began to crater under Heath. He went 12-19 and 12-20 in his last two years there. In both years, USF was 3-15 in conference. It was during those two years that Ray's teams beat them handily. And they had some allegedly good recruits including a strong center who transferred to Florida. He was fired and replaced by Orlando Antigua who was their version of Bacari, taking that program to even greater depths in a short time there. Heath's record at USF was 97-129.

There was an academic investigation into men's basketball at USF under Antigua; and, we need to be certain that those issues did not begin under Heath.

I would hope that due diligence was performed before now! Checking at this point would be like trying to check the hinges on the barn door after the barn and the door have already burned to the ground. Why are we taking this long if it is Heath since Heath has had an interest in coming here for three years. He was interested and interviewed back when we hired BA.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Tony Paul tweets: "It's been more than two months since Detroit Mercy fired Bacari Alexander, and it still doesn't have a new head men's basketball coach. There was at least one handshake agreement, with a deal so far down the road that candidate told his old (current) school. Then things blew up."
Guessing he is talking about Bronkema?

and

"Mike Davis, former Indiana coach who currently is head coach at Texas Southern, could be a name to watch in Detroit Mercy's ever-lasting search for a head coach."

John Hanschke replied to this tweet saying "I've hear this as well. My random scoop of the day."

Tony Paul also tweets: "Mike Davis' people have expressed interest in Detroit Mercy. Makes about $250K at Texas Southern; Detroit Mercy is willing to pay $300K or more for its next coach. Bacari Alexander made ~$450K.

and

"Detroit Mercy essentially made Bacari Alexander put Jermaine Jackson Sr. on his coaching staff.

That doesn't appear to be a dealbreaker this time around"
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

"with a deal so far down the road" is it possible that we are waiting until June 1st to hire a coach because we cannot afford to pay 2 staffs at once?
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Mike Davis's son, Antoine, was released from his LOU from Houston and is rumored to be looking at Auburn now.
Titans03
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed May 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Titans03 wrote:Mike Davis's son, Antoine, was released from his LOU from Houston and is rumored to be looking at Auburn now.

This was reported by HYPERION on the other board a week ago. He/She also indicated that a tentative deal with Davis was in place and would be announced in early July!
The-Dude
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Can you link the thread?
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Dude, early July? I hope you meant June.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:42 pm

Titans03 wrote:Can you link the thread?

HYPERION posted this on 5/21/18: “It appears that Mike Davis will be announced as our new head coach this week. It is also rumored that his son, Antoine Davis, who just got out of his obligation to the University of Houston, is coming with him. Antoine Is one one of the best shooters in Texas high school history and is a 4-star recruit.”

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5H1kt91WD
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titandave » Thu May 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:
Titans03 wrote:Can you link the thread?

HYPERION posted this on 5/21/18: “It appears that Mike Davis will be announced as our new head coach this week. It is also rumored that his son, Antoine Davis, who just got out of his obligation to the University of Houston, is coming with him. Antoine Is one one of the best shooters in Texas high school history and is a 4-star recruit.” Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5H1kt91WD

If this does in fact occur and several other events unfold (i.e. JJ Jr. leaves, McFolley stays, Tariiq Jones is eligible, Blackshear is healthy, and Barnes - Simmons - Hightower sign with UDM) we would be looking at something along the line of the following:

PG ... McFolley
SG ... Davis
SF ... Jones
PF ... Barnes
C .... Blackshear

Rotation: Long, Ballantyne, & Simmons
Role: Eicher & Hightower
titandave
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:21 pm

2018 (TX) G Antoine Davis has committed to Texas Southern. (HT @MarkBermanFox26) @Youngdvs13 verbalcommits.com/players/antoin…

What’s plan G?
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Thu May 31, 2018 3:22 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:2018 (TX) G Antoine Davis has committed to Texas Southern. (HT @MarkBermanFox26) @Youngdvs13 verbalcommits.com/players/antoin…

What’s plan G?

Plan G he still comes
titanmike
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm

I guess that is a possibility if his brother becomes Texas Southern‘s new head coach. He on staff there, correct?
Rogobob77
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball