When will the new coach be hired?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

What date will the new Head Coach be announced?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Mon 4/30 - Wed 5/2
8%
Thurs 5/3 - Sun 5/6
23%
Mon 5/7 - Wed 5/9
15%
Thurs 5/10 - Sun 5/13
8%
Mon 5/14 - Wed 5/16
8%
Thurs 5/17 - Sun 5/20
No votes
Mon 5/21 or later
38%

Total votes : 13

Re: When will the new coach be hired?

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 am

Titan Jim wrote:
TitanVoiceofReason wrote:UP, by a relationship I mean they have a common bond. Both men have roots in the SWAC. The conference's schools are historically black universities and colleges. I believe (of course I may be wrong) that an instant bond exists among people who have any kind of a connection to those schools and/or conference. I witnessed something like this in regards to the small town my Dad came from. If you came from Emmett you were family, whether you are related by blood or not. I believe if Davis ends up as UD's coach the start of it will be the shared connection Vowels and Davis have by their association with the SWAC.

I sure hope you are right!

I hope so too. I'm just trying to read the tea leaves.

The news you reported about Izzo from Bernie Smilovitz doesn't improve our chances of getting Davis. I still like Dawkins and Stephens as well as Davis, however, as the Matt Patricia story shows, no matter who we end up hiring, we will have to conduct a thorough background check. Because of the me-too movement the definition of a good background check has changed.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 am

I think we should have had a more thorough background check on Vowels and Garibaldi. I do not think that is what the delay is. I feel someone is lacking in job performance . A more thorough background check probably would not have helped MSU.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:29 pm

bctitans1987 wrote:Jermaine will be named the head coach once his 'issues' get cleared-up. Bank on it.

Why would he be hanging around this long? Well, besides the fact that no one wants to hire him...

I know why his kid hasn't transferred: Because he's a D3 player and no one wants him.

bctitans1987: hope you didn’t bet the farm on your “bank on it” prediction that JJ would get the HC position.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 am

No deal is done yet...I would count your proverbial 'chickens'...I have confidence that UDM will screw this up.
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 am

bctitans1987 wrote:No deal is done yet...I would count your proverbial 'chickens'...I have confidence that UDM will screw this up.

Sir I wonder if you will issue an apology if a press conference is scheduled and Mike Davis is announced as a coach? Most likely you will not because you are a miserable human being that only enjoys Titan failure, you on numerous occasions stated that you stopped supporting the Titans and are no longer going to games, why stick around here? Because you get your jollies off from being a miserable Troll! Please bctitans1987 go over to the OU Grizzlies and start being their supporter!
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

DetroitBASKETBALL wrote:
bctitans1987 wrote:No deal is done yet...I would count your proverbial 'chickens'...I have confidence that UDM will screw this up.

Sir I wonder if you will issue an apology if a press conference is scheduled and Mike Davis is announced as a coach? Most likely you will not because you are a miserable human being that only enjoys Titan failure, you on numerous occasions stated that you stopped supporting the Titans and are no longer going to games, why stick around here? Because you get your jollies off from being a miserable Troll! Please bctitans1987 go over to the OU Grizzlies and start being their supporter!

He wont, but he knows he is being a S*** disturber. Plus deep down he knows he can never give up entirely, his alma mater
titanmike
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:06 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
TitanKev83 wrote:I agree with bctitans 1987 that Jermaine ultimately will be the head coach. Here's my theory. He could not be "handed the job" without a search process etc. The justification ends up being: 1/ he's the best fit--young and hungry with high school head coaching and college level assistant experience 2/ the continuity for keeping what's left of the team intact as well as recruiting. 3/He will not be paid Bacari level money--thus saving the university some money while still trying to keep the program competitive. 4/There's also the fact that team was 4-3 while he filled in for Bacari. I am not connected enough to know of the infighting amongst Bacari's staff and whether JJ was an instigator or not, nor his role--real or rumored-- in SMD. That said, I am willing to give him a chance.

The team played well for him, he's had a hand in the recruitment of much of the roster and he brings NBA contacts (Kevin Durant and Willie to name two) that could help with future recruiting and more importantly, fundraising. If he's NOT the coach, why would he stay? He would have been passed over for the job twice. And, realistically, what outside coach would agree with him being the number one assistant as a condition of hire? I don't think many would, even some young buck itching for that first D-1 break. To me, that would create the same dynamic that apparently existed between him and Bacari. Obviously, we'll see what happens. Final thoughts. I wonder if PW has been consulted on the new coach. I imagine he'd go to bat for one of his guys. I do think President G and Vowels want a competitive program. I cannot imagine there hasn't been conversation associated with what Loyola did in the tournament and its PR, fundraising and student recruitment value that a tournament run like LU had can have on the university. I think for that reason alone, there's reason to believe that the administration wants its signature sports program to be successful.

I think your theory might end up being the correct one.

I really hope I am wrong, but I believe the theory above will be proven true. Jermaine Jackson Sr. will be the head coach. Robert Vowels has been very diabolical and calculating during this "fake" search for a coach. Why didn't Vowels just hire Jackson Sr. in June of 2015?

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2015/ ... 53928.aspx
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:20 pm

JJ won’t be coach.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:30 pm

So about two days ago today, TSU put out a press release saying that the AD was informed in the afternoon by Mike Davis that he was taking the Detroit job. There couldn’t possibly have been a falling out since then right? I’m optimistic that we are just irnoning out the details of the contract. There is some questions though: Why did antoine tweet that he was going to tsu when he must’ve known his dad was taking the udm job? Why hasn’t he deleted the tweet? Why did Vowels so harshly deny to the FreePress that davis was our coach? You would think that if vowels had a handshake deal, he wouldn’t say the report was erroneous, he would just say nothing is confirmed. Why did TSU delete the post off their website? AND Why did Antoine like the article by the free press that the Miles davis to udm deal wasn’t closed yet?

Now that i type all these out, seems unlikely Mike davis will be our coach... :(
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 pm

FFS. This is more confusing than the JFK assassination.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanONeill » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Do u think the theory is that JJ is part of the package Davis must accept? Davis doesn't want JJ ,etc? It's a catch 22 because we have already burned one bridge with BA...so if we force out JJ that doesn't look good either but you cant expect a a coach to not want to hire their own guys. No holdovers.
TitanONeill
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:14 pm

TitanONeill wrote:Do u think the theory is that JJ is part of the package Davis must accept? Davis doesn't want JJ ,etc? It's a catch 22 because we have already burned one bridge with BA...so if we force out JJ that doesn't look good either but you cant expect a a coach to not want to hire their own guys. No holdovers.

No. I think there's about a 1 in 10 million chance that that's an issue.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Commissioner wrote:
TitanONeill wrote:Do u think the theory is that JJ is part of the package Davis must accept? Davis doesn't want JJ ,etc? It's a catch 22 because we have already burned one bridge with BA...so if we force out JJ that doesn't look good either but you cant expect a a coach to not want to hire their own guys. No holdovers.

No. I think there's about a 1 in 10 million chance that that's an issue.

+1 I’m almost positive the issue is that our job looks very attractive from afar, but once you meet Vowels and start negotiating with him, you realize he has no clue what the F he is doing/talking about. And this scares people off. And I can’t blame them.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Narrator:

What if I were to tell you that the most incompetent athletic director in the history of college athletics would take over one hundred days to fill a coaching vacancy, and complete his mission of utterly ruining a once respected basketball program? ESPN's 30 for 30 proudly presents 'Robert Vowels and the Never Ending Story.'
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby TitanTarHeel » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:25 pm

I suppose there's one scenario where Davis is playing UDM and TSU off of one another to try to get the best deal? Maybe its shrewd, maybe its just cold hearted negotiating. The reality is he's only got another 10 yrs of big time D1 coaching left in him, so this is one of his last (if not the last) contract he's going to sign and its his last chance to max as much money as possible to secure his retirement.
TitanTarHeel
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:41 pm

It’s not about money, it’s about the amount.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37 am

Titans03 wrote:So about two days ago today, TSU put out a press release saying that the AD was informed in the afternoon by Mike Davis that he was taking the Detroit job. There couldn’t possibly have been a falling out since then right? I’m optimistic that we are just irnoning out the details of the contract. There is some questions though: Why did antoine tweet that he was going to tsu when he must’ve known his dad was taking the udm job? Why hasn’t he deleted the tweet? Why did Vowels so harshly deny to the FreePress that davis was our coach? You would think that if vowels had a handshake deal, he wouldn’t say the report was erroneous, he would just say nothing is confirmed. Why did TSU delete the post off their website? AND Why did Antoine like the article by the free press that the Miles davis to udm deal wasn’t closed yet?

Now that i type all these out, seems unlikely Mike davis will be our coach... :(

Miles Davis? Sweet, is he still alive?
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 am

I saw Miles Davis many years ago at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. I don't think he was coaching basketball yet at that time. :-)
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby bctitans1987 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 am

Detroit - Because I don't agree with your opinion, well, that must make me a terrible human being. Okay. That's mature logic.

Bottom line: Your defense of the incompetence of the AD and University 'leadership' is completely indefensible...
bctitans1987
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am

bctitans1987 wrote:Detroit - Because I don't agree with your opinion, well, that must make me a terrible human being. Okay. That's mature logic.

Bottom line: Your defense of the incompetence of the AD and University 'leadership' is completely indefensible...

Let me help you with comprehension of what I said (you sure you went to UofD and not OU). I did not say that this is not a S*** show, I did not say Vowels was a good AD I did not say Leadership was good. I said you are terrible human being because you enjoy the misery of people on this board and you enjoy adding to it. You yourself said you are no longer involved or care about the program or the school yet you are on here trolling us when we are down making wild claims when you are no longer involved just to piss people off on here. I NEVER DEFENDED THE LEADERSHIP, learn to read! What you do by definition is a Troll and a Sadist, crawl back under the rock from which you came from because you do not represent any of the qualities that a Titan should, there are clearly people on here that care about this program and school, they are worried concerned and upset, you just make it worse with your BS, should change your name to BStitans1987, haven't seen a single valuable post from you, I have been reading this board for 6 years.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball