Mike Davis

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Mike Davis

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Titans03 wrote:So let’s assume that Mike Davis eventually ends up being our head coach (knock on wood). Not to keep bringing this up, but for the life of me I can’t undertsand why Antoine would commit to Texas Southern just 4 days before it came out his dad was likely to take the UDM job. He might as well just have stayed a free agent at that point right?

Unless, as others have suggested, Antoine's dad told him it was 50/50 they'd be at UDM or TSU. His commitment to TSU at that point wasn't binding. Plus, he made it clear he wanted to play for his dad. Maybe he wanted attention, twitter followers, or who knows what. Maybe it was the Davis family playing hardball with us?
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Good points. IDK just seems odd to me.
Titans03
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 pm

The more I think about everything after reading all the tea leaves and Tweets, I believe the most likely explanation for the delay in announcing Davis-to-UDM is that the background check hasn’t been completed. TSU went back and revised their website material on Davis’ departure because they realized they jumped the gun in saying goodbye before UDM completed its process. TSU is not seriously engaged in matching UDM’s offer. Once the completed BI is checked off the list, the contract will be finalized and the Titans will issue a press release and a press conference will be scheduled shortly thereafter, presumably next week. There is no reason whatsoever for delaying the announcement to July 1 as some have speculated. JJ received what amounts to a courtesy interview and maybe even was told he is a potential backup option if the Davis hire falls off the tracks — that way the school keeps on good terms with the Titan MBB Hall-of-Famer who just happens to have a talented son on the current roster. I’m guessing the Detroit News’ Tony Paul has been told more-or-less all the above by someone connected to the process, resulting in his assertion that he is nearly-100% sure Davis will be the next Detroit Mercy coach. That’s my take, but I will be first to admit that I’ve been wrong before.
Last edited by Rogobob77 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:but I will be first to admit that I’ve been wrong before.

That was in 1967, wasn’t it?
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:05 pm

Titan Jim wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:but I will be first to admit that I’ve been wrong before.

That was in 1967, wasn’t it?

Last time was actually more recent, in November 2017, when I predicted the Titans would beat Wayne State in their preseason exhibition game.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Any chance we get a press conference tomorrow or Tuesday? Hopeful thinking on my part.
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am

I don’t do the scheduling , but based on information I received I would expect this week.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am

titanmike wrote:I don’t do the scheduling , but based on information I received I would expect this week.

After we form a committee to consider seating arrangements, properly vet everything and everyone, try once more for Andy Bronkema, dither a bit, ask if we can reduce our offer by$3000 a year, and take care of all other due considerations.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby HSScout1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:03 am

Commissioner wrote:
titanmike wrote:I don’t do the scheduling , but based on information I received I would expect this week.

After we form a committee to consider seating arrangements, properly vet everything and everyone, try once more for Andy Bronkema, dither a bit, ask if we can reduce our offer by$3000 a year, and take care of all other due considerations.

Why not just deny the existence of an agreement with Davis until he shows up to coach exhibition game #1.

Also, if a press conference is actually held, how about setting up a dunk tank or pie throwing booth featuring the AD and charge $20 a shot (I'm sure some would pay $100). Make it a dual press conference/fund raiser for the Athletic Department
HSScout1
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 am

Will the coach being introduced is Mike Davis or JJ Sr.?
Titans03
Senior

Postby 77-85Titan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:09 am

HSScout1 wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

Why not just deny the existence of an agreement with Davis until he shows up to coach exhibition game #1.

Also, if a press conference is actually held, how about setting up a dunk tank or pie throwing booth featuring the AD and charge $20 a shot (I'm sure some would pay $100). Make it a dual press conference/fund raiser for the Athletic Department

I'm in for $1,000
77-85Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Titans03 wrote:

Will the coach being introduced is Mike Davis or JJ Sr.?

I have Davis
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am

I wonder what Vowels is waiting for.
Titans03
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 am

Lawyers, guns, and money. Ok, probably not guns.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Titan Jim » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 am

Davis’ college coach passed away and funeral is Thursday. The way things have been going, I would not be surprised if that means that press conference is next week.
Titan Jim
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 am

BTW, no changes to Antoine's twitter. Not saying that means anything, I'm just searching for any news at this point.
Titans03
Senior

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Titan Jim wrote:Davis’ college coach passed away and funeral is Thursday. The way things have been going, I would not be surprised if that means that press conference is next week.

According to Mike Valenti the Detroit Pistons are postponing the press conference to announce Dwayne Casey as their new coach because Casey wants to celebrate father's day in Los Angeles with his family. I guess these guys aren't aware that airplanes exist. These guys Casey/Davis could have a noon press conference and be back home before 6pm.
R.B.J1
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:33 pm

R.B.J1 wrote:
Titan Jim wrote:Davis’ college coach passed away and funeral is Thursday. The way things have been going, I would not be surprised if that means that press conference is next week.

According to Mike Valenti the Detroit Pistons are postponing the press conference to announce Dwayne Casey as their new coach because Casey wants to celebrate father's day in Los Angeles with his family. I guess these guys aren't aware that airplanes exist. These guys Casey/Davis could have a noon press conference and be back home before 6pm.

When Dick Vitale was announced as the new UD coach in 1973, it was a Saturday announcement. Vitale stuck around in Detroit for a week for interviews, driving around, introducing himself, meeting people, building on the excitement of him as the new coach. He made a great first impression, much better than he would have if he had flown back to New Jersey that Saturday evening.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Titans03 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:45 pm

http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... #post-9949
Hyperion reporting that JJ Sr. will not be on the new staff, but that JJJ will remain on the team. (As most of ya have expected). Hyperion also continues to say that Davis will not be introduced until early July.
Titans03
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:55 am

Titans03 wrote:http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net/thread/716/davis-family?page=4#post-9949
Hyperion reporting that JJ Sr. will not be on the new staff, but that JJJ will remain on the team. (As most of ya have expected). Hyperion also continues to say that Davis will not be introduced until early July.

That creep is always right...
The-Dude
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball