2021 Recruiting Thread

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2021 Recruiting Thread

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am

Isaiah Barnes, a 6-4 point guard from Illinois, Tweets he is excited to have received an offer from “the University of Detroit.”
Rogobob77
Senior

Re: 2021 Recruiting Thread

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 am

Rogobob77 wrote:Isaiah Barnes, a 6-4 point guard from Illinois, Tweets he is excited to have received an offer from “the University of Detroit.”

Whereas Class of '20 Coleman Hawkins, a 6-8 power forward from Antelope, California, is only "blessed" to have received an offer from "the University of Detroit." https://twitter.com/colehawk23/status/1 ... 14656?s=19

I think we know where Coach Davis is on branding.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 am

For a guy who supposedly sits in his office all day and does not leave it to recruit, he sure seems to get around. ;)
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:15 am

Commissioner wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Isaiah Barnes, a 6-4 point guard from Illinois, Tweets he is excited to have received an offer from “the University of Detroit.”

Whereas Class of '20 Coleman Hawkins, a 6-8 power forward from Antelope, California, is only "blessed" to have received an offer from "the University of Detroit." https://twitter.com/colehawk23/status/1 ... 14656?s=19

I love the recruiting reach thus far. This young man has offers from Arizona and Illinois.
titanmike
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 am

titanmike wrote:
Commissioner wrote:

I love the recruiting reach thus far. This young man has offers from Arizona and Illinois.

Note, though, that Ray and Bacari also made offers to top recruits (one source lists Hawkins as #124 nationally in his class). Ray and his team, in particular, seemed to have a knack for spotting talent early and getting our name in front of them. Can we close the deal on guys like this? That's the real test.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am

Completely agree. I found Ray's recruiting to be impressive also. Not enough time to evaluate what could of been with Bacari. I hope we can close the deal!
titanmike
Senior

Postby theroundsquare » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 am

This is a good approach. It reminds me of something Coach Watson <angels sing> used to say. He said that, even if these players don't choose us out of HS, by offering and expressing that we want them on our team, if the player decides to make a move later, we can be a possible destination. We'd all rather have great players out of HS, but a great player on transfer is still pretty good too.
theroundsquare
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am

titanmike wrote:Completely agree. I found Ray's recruiting to be impressive also. Not enough time to evaluate what could of been with Bacari. I hope we can close the deal!

There is still something to be said about Coaches who can actually coach and make a player better. Players can communicate and also see players they know get better. It's one thing to say you can help, and another to actually do it. There is a lot more to this coaching thing than just being a nice guy, in the eyes of the recruit I think you have to be a Great Guy.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:04 pm

upbasketballfan wrote:
titanmike wrote:Completely agree. I found Ray's recruiting to be impressive also. Not enough time to evaluate what could of been with Bacari. I hope we can close the deal!

There is still something to be said about Coaches who can actually coach and make a player better. Players can communicate and also see players they know get better. It's one thing to say you can help, and another to actually do it. There is a lot more to this coaching thing than just being a nice guy, in the eyes of the recruit I think you have to be a Great Guy.

My comment was on recruiting, not on coaching.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:58 pm

titanmike wrote:
upbasketballfan wrote:

My comment was on recruiting, not on coaching.

That is what I was addressing!
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:37 pm

2021 SG Pierre Brooks II (6-5, 178, 2★) has received an offer from Detroit.

2021 SF Keon Edwards (6-7, 175, 2★) has received an offer from Detroit.

2021 PF Jerrell Colbert (6-10, 196, 2★) has received an offer from Detroit.

2021 C Chuks Isitua (6-11, 247, 2★) has received an offer from Detroit.
Rogobob77
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball