Harrison Curry

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Harrison Curry

Postby HSScout1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

The 6'7" 230# Forward is transferring in from Louisiana Tech. From Ann Arbor. Played 2 years JUCO. Played in only one game last season due to a knee injury. Rated the No. 45 best junior college player in the country in 2017

Read more: http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net ... z5NnQqlkrs

https://twitter.com/HCurry_24/status/10 ... 4306073601

His Bio from last season

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/harrison_curry_1045556.html
HSScout1
Senior

Re: Harrison Curry

Postby Titans03 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Nice to get a D1 transfer and some much needed size!
Titans03
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Another #rebrandfail from a recruit.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby titandave » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Assuming Harrison is able to fully recover from injury; he's a welcome addition to the roster. Since he attended a non JUCO school last season; I assume he'll need to sit out the 2018-19 season due to NCAA transfer rules.
titandave
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:37 pm

From National Prep Hoops

"The Horizon league just got a game changer in @HCurry_24 ! He is going too put up serious numbers at Detroit"
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Another #rebrandfail from a recruit.

You're kinda missing the story, Tacitus.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm

titandave wrote:Assuming Harrison is able to fully recover from injury; he's a welcome addition to the roster. Since he attended a non JUCO school last season; I assume he'll need to sit out the 2018-19 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

Not sure, but having only played one game, would this impact his chances of playing in 18-19?
titanmike
Senior

Postby titanmike » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 pm

titanmike
Senior

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Tac just likes to harp on this, kinda like the JJ-hater relates EVERY story back to JJ somehow. We are U-D in my mind. Always will be. That's all that matters to me. If you call us Detroit Mercy, I won't hit you.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:19 pm

uofdfan1983 wrote:Tac just likes to harp on this, kinda like the JJ-hater relates EVERY story back to JJ somehow. We are U-D in my mind. Always will be. That's all that matters to me. If you call us Detroit Mercy, I won't hit you.

I'm thinking most of these young men announcing that they are going to Detroit to play basketball and relaying their excitement to others on their twitter, do not want their friends and followers to think they are going to play for a nursing school.
Last edited by upbasketballfan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Except, the name of your university and it’s athletic program should not be a subjective matter that results in constant inconsistency. This confuses recruits, fans, students, prospective students. I don’t see how anyone can argue the inconsistency is a good thing and half of us should just go on calling us “Detroit” and the other half “Detroit Mercy.”

All that said, welcome to Detroit Mercy, Harrison. The highlights sure are impressive.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Maybe we can make it work for us. If people think Detroit and Detroit Mercy are two different college, each gets 13 scholarships ...
#DetroitsCollegeTeam #OurCityOurTime
NC Titan
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:Except, the name of your university and it’s athletic program should not be a subjective matter that results in constant inconsistency. This confuses recruits, fans, students, prospective students. I don’t see how anyone can argue the inconsistency is a good thing and half of us should just go on calling us “Detroit” and the other half “Detroit Mercy.”

All that said, welcome to Detroit Mercy, Harrison. The highlights sure are impressive.

MSU, State, Michigan State University somehow they make it if they have 3 different names that they are referred to. Give it a break Tacitus
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Point very well made, BASKETBALL. Let's hope tacitus does give it a break. I'm not optimistic though.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:23 pm

I don’t mind abbreviations or acronyms. I think fans at Michigan State would not be enthusiastic if a recruit tweeted he was attending Michigan State College, University of East Lansing.

I don’t like talking about this more than anyone else but clearly there’s a problem since the university spent tons of money surveying alumni, developing a new logo and branding strategy while two years later nearly everyone (recruits/local papers/Chronicle of Higher Ed/current students) still gets it wrong. Sorry if asking the university develop a consistent name is so much to ask.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I don’t mind abbreviations or acronyms. I think fans at Michigan State would not be enthusiastic if a recruit tweeted he was attending Michigan State College, University of East Lansing.

I don’t like talking about this more than anyone else but clearly there’s a problem since the university spent tons of money surveying alumni, developing a new logo and branding strategy while two years later nearly everyone (recruits/local papers/Chronicle of Higher Ed/current students) still gets it wrong. Sorry if asking the university develop a consistent name is so much to ask.

Every college has two or three ways it’s referenced, but we have at least seven in common rotation two years after the branding rollout:

U of D
University of Detroit
University of Detroit Mercy
UDM
Detroit
Detroit Mercy
Mercy

There are multiple additional variants, e.g., U of D Mercy, Detroit-Mercy, etc.

“Our consultants advised that to return to ‘University of Detroit’ as the school name would cause mass confusion.” — UDM official, August 2017.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:15 pm

titanmike wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQQvklZ8MW0

This cat looks like a cross of Nick Minnerath and Doug Anderson.

But do I dare say Xavier Keeling?

Hope things are finalized.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby titandave » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:36 pm

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Harrision Curry is immediately eligible; he'll have the inside track to be our starting PF. :D
titandave
Senior

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am

Rogobob77 wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I don’t mind abbreviations or acronyms. I think fans at Michigan State would not be enthusiastic if a recruit tweeted he was attending Michigan State College, University of East Lansing.

Every college has two or three ways it’s referenced, but we have at least seven in common rotation two years after the branding rollout:

U of D
University of Detroit
University of Detroit Mercy
UDM
Detroit
Detroit Mercy
Mercy

There are multiple additional variants, e.g., U of D Mercy, Detroit-Mercy, etc.

“Our consultants advised that to return to ‘University of Detroit’ as the school name would cause mass confusion.” — UDM official, August 2017.

I wonder how long it took Michigan Agricultural College to go away for MSU and all the acronyms like maybe MAC? Dare I say more than 2 years. Also, we had different names prior to rebrand, not many schools went thru this many name changes in 25 years. We are a merger of UofD and Mercy College, I think Mercy alums are allowed to refer to us as Mercy as well as UofD alums as UofD not going away in 2 years, the athletic teams continued to be called Detroit. You expect a rebrand in 2 years to get rid of 30 years of confusing but necessary marketing. Also I think there is nothing wrong if we have the nicknames as there are alums that graduated from all those schools, I wonder if a Michigan Agricultural College alums that are around still refer to the school as that, they did not have as many confusing changes and it happened in 1964 as our name change happened in 1992 with a merger of 2 schools and a rebrand 2 years ago. Give it a break, nothing is built overnight. I graduated from UDM and if it was changed to UofD, I would still in passing refer to it as UDM on occasion as I do today, I agree however that UofD was a better choice to switch to from a marketing perspective if you are a UofD alum, but ask a Mercy College graduate how they would feel about that, with one stroke you wiped out their contribution to the merger of these 2 institutions that saved the combined school and history that Mercy College existed. Also, I don't think for a financially strapped institution it is wise to tick of 1 of its 2 sponsors. Maybe with time the Mercy name will drop off naturally due to everyone continually referring to us as UofD including the younger generation with the school embracing it, but keeping the Mercy on official documentation, there is nothing wrong for you to keep pushing UofD but I am saying that this is not an act of idiocy based on the information I received from someone who was close to that decision making, also that statement about going back to UofD is only an excerpt from the entire recommendation, it wasn't just about how Garibaldi or Sisters of Mercy or Jesuits felt about the names. Probably would have helped to switch to something like Michigan Catholic University, but no the compromise was to keep the legacy of both schools in the name, that compromise at this point is still a sticking point and a full court press from Dr. Garibaldi could not change the name today, that maybe a different story 10-20 years from now, especially if we are still commonly referred to as UofD.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am

ja awards to those who are hijacking this thread from harrison curry's welcome as one of the newest titans! look around...there's a whole other thread devoted to the naming issues. welcome HC! we're glad to have you!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball