Which player will most play above expectations?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Which player will most play above expectations?

Davis
2
18%
Holland
0
No votes
Isiani
2
18%
Knight
1
9%
Moore
1
9%
Nguidjol
1
9%
Hamrick
1
9%
King
2
18%
Brandon
1
9%
 
Total votes : 11

Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Tacitus651 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:00 pm

By this question, I mean, who will be the biggest positive surprise? I left off the walk-on players with the exception of Davis because of the polling limit. Also left out Curry because it’s doubtful he will be eligible this season.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby R.B.J1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:41 pm

I think Bo Nguidjoi will be the surprise player next season.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm

I almost voted for Bo myself. I voted for Davis. Obviously there’s a high degree of subjectivity with a question like this because there’s no defined consensus as to the expectations of any player. I think Davis will over perform, even for a 3 star recruit.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby DetroitBASKETBALL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

seems coach was impressed with Isiani's shooting ability and work ethic, talked quite a bit about him during the luncheon.
DetroitBASKETBALL
Senior
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 am

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Commissioner » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 pm

If a majority think someone will play above expectations, and he does, isn't he merely meeting expectations?
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior
 
Posts: 4895
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:06 pm

I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

Davis was my pick but I cheated ;)

P.S. there is a reason why certain players left this season and the answer is they couldn’t hang on this squad.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby MotownTitan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Where is McFolley's name?
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 pm

MotownTitan wrote:Where is McFolley's name?


Poll is for new players.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby NC Titan » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Commissioner wrote:If a majority think someone will play above expectations, and he does, isn't he merely meeting expectations?


It's difficult to argue with this logic, Commish.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby HSScout1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:18 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

Davis was my pick but I cheated ;)

P.S. there is a reason why certain players left this season and the answer is they couldn’t hang on this squad.


I agree. Just based on some of our players conditioning last season, I don't think they would want to play for Davis...

High praise indeed concerning the team - I was hoping for a .500 season & I thought I was being optimistic. You have peaked my interest and I look forward to hearing more and seeing this team play.

BTW - I voted for King, the guy I believe was mistaken for Eichler. He wasn't even on our radar as a member of the team a week ago. He is older and experienced as a grad student, has started games at Washington State and as a JUCO a few years ago was named the 2nd best JUCO player in California by 247Sports
HSScout1
Senior
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby NC Titan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:00 pm

I watched a practice last week, and Davis and Isiani were deadly shots. They didn't miss from distance.

Gjysma was my favorite to watch. He is a bull, not much finesse, but he has a very soft touch around the basket. And I expect if he gets to play he can rebound well.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby titandave » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:22 pm

HSScout1 wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:I took coach Davis to his word and watched the team practice. This entire team will surprise everyone who doesn’t believe this team will be on the top of the Horizon League by the end of the season. Welcome to the University of Davis, Mike (UDM). Never saw a UDM team run so hard in a game and this was just practice. If you have some free time I suggest you go and watch the team practice at 3:30. This team looks close to being able to run the Horizon League out of the City of Detroit.

Davis was my pick but I cheated ;)

P.S. there is a reason why certain players left this season and the answer is they couldn’t hang on this squad.


I agree. Just based on some of our players conditioning last season, I don't think they would want to play for Davis...

High praise indeed concerning the team - I was hoping for a .500 season & I thought I was being optimistic. You have peaked my interest and I look forward to hearing more and seeing this team play.

BTW - I voted for King, the guy I believe was mistaken for Eichler. He wasn't even on our radar as a member of the team a week ago. He is older and experienced as a grad student, has started games at Washington State and as a JUCO a few years ago was named the 2nd best JUCO player in California by 247Sports


Likewise, I voted for Derrien King; he has an interesting bio .... Santa Monica College, Washington State, & Angelo State. The 2nd best JUCO player in California certainly got my attention.
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Shags-DC » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm going with Tra'Quan Knight because he lived in Genoa for a year, so he probably makes a mean pesto sauce, and speaks at least un poco italiano, which is as gooda reason as any of you have, since none of us have seen any of these guys play! And he's a 6'3 guard who shot 55% from the field. Torched Wallace State CC for 27!

He also had the courage to wear these pants!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2310177659008810&set=a.448898831803378&type=3&theater
Shags-DC
Senior
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby HoopLove247 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 am

I'm voting for Hamrick his game looks well rounded. His highlights look interesting.
HoopLove247
Senior
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am

I’m declaring Davis the winning ticket.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:43 am

too easy and kinda a cop out taci. he was a three star so we knew he was good. of all the players taking the court this year, the player with the greatest upside, the biggest surprise to me, and one who will evolve into a great titan is brandon. always plays hard, always gets a board, a blocs, a steal, soft hands around the basket. Cant wait to see him as a senior. i like watching when he and blackshear are on the court together.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am

titanmac wrote:too easy and kinda a cop out taci. he was a three star so we knew he was good. of all the players taking the court this year, the player with the greatest upside, the biggest surprise to me, and one who will evolve into a great titan is brandon. always plays hard, always gets a board, a blocs, a steal, soft hands around the basket. Cant wait to see him as a senior. i like watching when he and blackshear are on the court together.


Yeah, but Davis was a 3 star that is playing at 5 star level. I agree about Brandon. It’s amazing the stats he puts up in limited minutes. Can’t wait to see him get better.
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Which player will most play above expectations?

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:53 am

i understand your point! how surprised is surprise? what a nice disagreent to have! :D
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior
 
Posts: 4845
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:07 pm


Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests