Antoine Davis

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Antoine Davis

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:10 pm

The day before Davis was hired we were all bemoaning the fact that we had no coach, no staff and three players on the roster. Some were talking about dropping to D2, others were wondering if we would win any games this season. All the magazines predicted another disaster season. A 5-9 record and two conference wins at this point makes me quite happy and optimistic.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

:) optimistic about the program? sure. optimistic about the state of our conference? not so much. ready to call a 3-9 non conference record a good start? no time soon. new year or not! :roll: :)
Last edited by titanmac on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:38 pm

NC Titan wrote:The day before Davis was hired we were all bemoaning the fact that we had no coach, no staff and three players on the roster. Some were talking about dropping to D2, others were wondering if we would win any games this season. All the magazines predicted another disaster season. A 5-9 record and two conference wins at this point makes me quite happy and optimistic.

+1 NC can’t wait for the continual development of this program and hopefully one day soon back in the top tier not only of the Horizon league but also the Pope’s poll and maybe one day a shot at a better league. We are the only private school in the Horizon and the public schools don’t appreciate the value of private institutions.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Horizon League Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week for January 7th. For the second time this season.

http://www.horizonleague.org/news/2019/1/7/mens-basketball-nike-hlmbb-players-of-the-week-january-7.aspx
ptctitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Week as selected by CBS Sports and the United States Basketball Writers Association

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/freshman-rankings-dukes-zion-williamson-looks-like-he-could-be-ready-to-pull-away-from-the-field-in-the-frosh-watch/

Freshman of the Week: Antoine Davis, Detroit
Our easiest pick of the season to date. Detroit's Antoine Davis has been dominating in relative obscurity, but he's unquestionably one of the best freshmen in college hoops.

He's the CBS Sports/USBWA Freshman of the Week in light of averaging 40.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in his past two games last week, highlighted by 48 points vs. preseason Horizon League favorite Wright State. He followed that up with 33 against Northern Kentucky -- maybe the second-best team in the conference.

As you might know, Davis is the son of Mike Davis, the coach at Detroit. This is all turning into one pretty sweet story.

Interestingly, 48 points for Davis vs. Wright State didn't amount to a program record; 49 is the most in school history. Nevertheless, he was 10 for 15 from beyond the arc in that game, the 10 made 3-pointers being a school record -- that Davis already achieved earlier this season. Forty-eight points in a game also ranks among the highest/best scoring performances by a freshman in Division I in the past 15 years.

We've got more on Davis below, who continues to rise in the Frosh Watch. He's second in the country in scoring average and has made more 3-pointers (81) than anyone in college basketball. He's hit 30 points in seven of the Titans' 16 games. One season after Trae Young redefined what a freshman scoring sensation could be, Davis is approaching Young's scoring clip.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Most amusing to me in that Frosh report was the collection of names.

#1’s first name is Zion. Not your run-of-the-mill first name unless you’re a national park in Utah.
#3’s first name is Romeo. Love it. (Groan)
#5’s name is Ignas Brazdeikis. I might have spelled it wrong, but who would know?
#7’s name is Lamine Diane. Sounds like a menu item at a French restaurant.
#8’s name is Luguentz Dort. It took me three tries to type the first name. It looks like the name of a tower guard in Mordor.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 pm

“...that would probably only be in play if Davis could maintain his current clip and Detroit won a couple Horizon League Tournament games and the school earned its way into the NIT or CBI.”

What the “experts” at CBS don’t realize is that we aren’t going to NIT or CBI. We’re dancing in March.
"Anything that can be done in college basketball can be done from right here.” - Coach Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 am

Tacitus651 wrote:“...that would probably only be in play if Davis could maintain his current clip and Detroit won a couple Horizon League Tournament games and the school earned its way into the NIT or CBI.”

What the “experts” at CBS don’t realize is that we aren’t going to NIT or CBI. We’re dancing in March.

Leaving aside Tactitus's optimism, don't they teach these guys math? If Davis maintains his current clip (5.1 per game) and the Titans win just 1 Horizon tournament game, he'll set the record. We don't need "a couple" conference tournament wins or a CBI. Maybe he meant to say "or."

Here's a thought: if AD continues his current pace and the Titans should lose in the first round of the conference tournament (which we know is impossible), then he would fail to get the record because of the cancelled game at Cal.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 am

Now on the mid-season watchlist for the Lew Henson award.

https://detroittitans.com/news/2019/1/9/mens-basketball-davis-named-to-lou-henson-award-mid-season-watch-list.aspx

BOSTON (1/9/2019) -- Freshman Antoine Davis' week of accolades added another high-profile award as he was named to the Lou Henson Award Mid-Season Watch List on Wednesday.

The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the nation's top mid-major player in Division I College Basketball.

Davis is one of three Horizon League student-athletes to earn the distinction, joining NKU senior Drew McDonald and Wright State sophomore Loudon Love. He is also the only freshman to appear in the 50-player watch-list.

Davis - who was just selected the Wayman Tisdale National Freshman of the Week and has been tabbed the Horizon League Freshman of the Week five times and the outright Player of the Week twice - is currently second in the nation in scoring at 27.3 points per game, while topping the country with 141 made field goals, 81, 3-pointers and 5.06, 3-pointers per game.

He is third in the nation with 437 total points and he is quickly approaching a Titan true freshman record for most points in a season trailing only Ray McCallum's rookie mark of 446 in 2009-10, and John Long's 445 in 1974-75.

He has led the team in scoring in every game this season and has 11, 20-point games, seven 30+ performances and a pair of 40-point efforts in his first 16 collegiate games, the only freshman in school history with two 40-point outings.

Davis' 48 points against Wright State was the fourth most in league play in Horizon League history and he also became just the third freshman since 1996-97 to score at least 48 points in a game, joining Trae Young's (Oklahoma) 48 points against Oklahoma State last season and Keydren Clark's ( St. Peters) 48 against Northern Arizona in 2002.

The last Titan to appear on the list was Ray McCallum in 2013 as he was named one of 25 finalists for the award.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm

http://www.fox2detroit.com/sports/382850174-video

More on Antoine. The press keeps coming.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:47 am

so. driving into work this morning listening to wdfn, which i rarely do because i run out of patience with the bubblegum social commentary. They're talking about um/msu being ranked in the top 6 in one of the polls. fascinating. so they talk up a recent wojo article that takes a play from the NC bball milieu that references nc, nc state, duke as being the tobacco road of basketball; then going on to mention of course charlotte, davidson etc..... and wondering why our bball isn't similarly recognized.

i'm thinking to myself its cuz you guys ( meaning the press) refuse to cover our state ball with any consistency or insight. of course their easy response is "noone cares" which may well be true.

anyways...while i'm working myself into a minor lather and getting ready to take the phone out of the cradle, guess who they start talking about! stoney said he watched ad play saturday, and was really impressed with the number 2 scorer in the land. talked about his not forcing the game and his incredible assists in the first half....no points for the first 15 minutes and still gets 32. also adds "not yet ready for the nba" but a big time player. which we all know is the case. we may not be able to say that again after next year? so they finish the bit with a mention to check out the oakland game this weekend and then talk about a possible matchup in the tournament with uofd and michigan and how cool that would be.

a pleasant surprise!
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods. They ruled their universe with absolute power! Well that basketball court out there tonight, that's our universe. Let's rule it like Titans! (with apologies to coach boon)
titanmac
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 am

titanmac wrote:so. driving into work this morning listening to wdfn, which i rarely do because i run out of patience with the bubblegum social commentary. They're talking about um/msu being ranked in the top 6 in one of the polls. fascinating. so they talk up a recent wojo article that takes a play from the NC bball milieu that references nc, nc state, duke as being the tobacco road of basketball; then going on to mention of course charlotte, davidson etc..... and wondering why our bball isn't similarly recognized.

i'm thinking to myself its cuz you guys ( meaning the press) refuse to cover our state ball with any consistency or insight. of course their easy response is "noone cares" which may well be true.

anyways...while i'm working myself into a minor lather and getting ready to take the phone out of the cradle, guess who they start talking about! stoney said he watched ad play saturday, and was really impressed with the number 2 scorer in the land. talked about his not forcing the game and his incredible assists in the first half....no points for the first 15 minutes and still gets 32. also adds "not yet ready for the nba" but a big time player. which we all know is the case. we may not be able to say that again after next year? so they finish the bit with a mention to check out the oakland game this weekend and then talk about a possible matchup in the tournament with uofd and michigan and how cool that would be.

a pleasant surprise!

+1
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 pm

As a resident of Tobacco Road West, my observations:

1. Basketball is and has been a way of life in North Carolina collegiate sports for a half-century. The three schools has a nice collection of championships, Final Fours and tournament runs. And if you look at what the Duke-UNC-NC State football teams have done, well, football in NORTH Carolina stinks up the place. In Michigan, both sports are success stories, so there is no concentrated focus on basketball. That's why Michigan basketball isn't similarly exalted: Not as many championships over such a long stretch, and other sports successes that pull the spotlight from basketball. Really, 100,000+ at a Michigan football game quite overwhelms any basketball in the fall and makes football #1 in the national sports conscience. UNC faces no such dilution from its football team. Nor does Duke. Football = South Carolina.

2. Davidson is a lot like Detroit: years of wandering in the desert punctuated by spikes of success. Davidson was awesome back in the 1960s, had a few stars (but not program success) in the '70s and '80s and pretty much languished until Steph Curry couldn't get a scholarship elsewhere. That timeline could describe our Titans, too.

3. UNCC (Charlotte? UNC-Charlotte?) is a baby brother to all the other schools. The college is relatively young (think Oakland) and they had a stretch of success in the mid-70s but really have had middling success ever since. And western NC basketball is a junior stepchild to Tobacco Road. Most-heard comment about Charlotte's team is "Why won't UNC and NC State schedule us?" Sound familiar?

Hopefully, AD can turn Detroit Mercy into a national focus, but it will take quite a few years of success (including Oakland; yeech) to make Southeast Michigan a rival to Tobacco Road. And, of course, with success comes more fan attention, which generates more press attention. If ESPN is talking Detroit Mercy, the local press can't not cover.
Last edited by NC Titan on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Resurget Cineribus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Every schhool, region, etc is unique. I wouldn’t worry about anything except how we are doing and progressing. That’s the most important thing.
Resurget Cineribus
Senior

Postby titanmac » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:53 pm

thanks for the narrative! cool background.
titanmac
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Dick Vitale just tweets:

"How about a little PR for the Diaper Dandy that is the leading freshman scorer in the nation ANTOINE DAVIS of @DetroitMBB Yes his dad is Coach Mike Davis & the Titans r 5-1 & lead the @HorizonLeague Let’s go Titans Baby ! @freep"

https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1085192045973491713
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Quick addendum before someone else “corrects” me.

While the Big Three of Basketball have little to brag about in football, over here in western NC we do have Appalachian State. Remember Michigan chanting “Where the hell is Boone?” and then losing to App State in 2007? That year was the third FCS championship in a row for the most successful (only successful?) program in the state.

On September 1, 2007, the Appalachian State football team traveled to Ann Arbor to play their season opener at the University of Michigan. A sellout crowd of over 109,000 fans packed Michigan Stadium, becoming the largest crowd to ever witness an ASU football game. Appalachian State beat Michigan 34–32 and became the first Division I-AA football team to defeat a Division I-A team ranked in the AP poll. This victory was seen by some analysts to be one of the greatest upsets in NCAA football history.

So, yes, there is some football history in North Carolina, but not on Tobacco Road. App State moved up to FBS division and won the Sun Belt Conference this season.

(I know, this is not relevant, but I really like to remind any UofM fans of the game.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm

The NCAA's official website has an article out today featuring three coaches' sons. Antoine is one of the three.

Here is an excerpt from that part of the article:

The spotlight is invariably finding his son, as the numbers mount. Antoine said he has other goals in mind — to make his team a winner, and his dad, too. “It’s an honor, but I’m really doing it all for the program, putting the program on the map.”

Here is a link to the article.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-14/3-father-son-bonds-know-about-college-basketball
ptctitan
Senior

Postby titanmac » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 am

and the accolades keep mounting up.
titanmac
Senior

Postby Shags-DC » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 pm

35-minute interview with Coach and Twan on this cat's YouTube channel, In the Booth. Just posted yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCOcWeAxZmg
Shags-DC
Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball