2019 Horizon League Transfers

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2019 Horizon League Transfers

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 pm

As of 5:30 pm EDT on April 12th.

So far, big losses at Oakland (Cumberland & Norris who made the HL All-Freshman Team), Wright State (Smith on HL All-Freshman team), and IUPUI (Justice, All-HL 2nd team). The transfer of 40% of the league's all-freshman team is a big loss for the league. As much as I want beat our opponents in this league, we need for the HL to retain its good young players and grow stronger so all members' strength of schedule ratings benefit.

Cleveland State

Aleksa Popovic to ?

Detroit

Tra-Quan Knight to LSU-Shreveport
Cole Long to ?

Green Bay

T.J. Parham to ?
Jevon Smith to Jackson State

IUPUI

Cam Justice to Western Kentucky

Milwaukee

Carson Warren-Newsome to Pima JC?

Oakland

James Beck to ?
Jaevin Cumberland to ?
Brailen Neely to Wayne State
Braden Norris to Loyola (Chi)
Stan Scott to ?

UIC

Ralph Bissainthe to Florida Southwestern College (this is a JUCO).

Youngstown State

Kendale Hampton to ?
Alex Holcombe to ?
Antwan Maxwell, Jr. to ?
Atiba Taylor, Jr. to Wagner

Wright State

Jack Hendricks (preferred walk-on) to ?
Malachi Smith to ?
Last edited by ptctitan on Mon May 06, 2019 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
ptctitan
Senior

Re: 2019 Horizon League Transfers

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Commish, any idea why Oakland is losing five players, after losing five last year? I always thought Kampe was pretty successful keeping his players for four years. And what is this going to do to their 2019-20 team?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Oakland is seeing players jump ship like it’s the freaking Titanic. Sad.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Just a cautionary note here on Norris.

The source of the news may be this tweet. Verbalcommits did not list Norris as transferring until about 1 hour after the following tweet was posted.

"Tony Paul

@TonyPaul1984

This is a shocker.

I am hearing Braden Norris, coming off a fantastic freshman season as Oakland's point guard, is in the transfer portal.

3:11 PM - 12 Apr 2019"
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 pm

NC Titan wrote:Commish, any idea why Oakland is losing five players, after losing five last year? I always thought Kampe was pretty successful keeping his players for four years. And what is this going to do to their 2019-20 team?

None at all, except there is some discussion on the Oakland board and some of the posters at least claim some knowledge of the situation.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 am

At this point I’ll be shocked if Hill-Mais doesn’t hit the transfer portal next week. OU’s outlook just went from a probable top 3 HL finish and respectable chance of winning the HL tourney to a probable middle of the pack team and very low chance of making a run in the tourney. Hill-Mais would get some great offers. I don’t see how he stays, unless he views Kampe as a father figure.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:55 am

NC Titan wrote:Commish, any idea why Oakland is losing five players, after losing five last year? I always thought Kampe was pretty successful keeping his players for four years. And what is this going to do to their 2019-20 team?

Oakland only carried 12 players on its roster last year. Of those 12, only 6 remain if all players in the transfer portal actually leave.

Neely and Nobles, a grad transfer from EMU, left during the season. According to verbalcommits, Beck, Cumberland, Norris, and Scott have placed their names in the transfer portal.

Recently, Oakland has experienced a high transfer rate. I believe that 13 players have now transferred out over the past 4 seasons. This does not include players who just don't make it in school or are dismissed from the team and do not transfer. Kampe does take chances on players with some negative past histories.

Oakland has a signed NLI with a 6'4" shooting guard from Tennessee plus three verbal commitments from players in the 6'7" range, Yusuf Jihad from North Farmington HS, Harris from Ohio, and the JUCO from Chipola.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby MotownTitan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:59 am

ptctitan wrote:

Oakland only carried 12 players on its roster last year. Of those 12, only 6 remain if all players in the transfer portal actually leave.

Neely and Nobles, a grad transfer from EMU, left during the season. According to verbalcommits, Beck, Cumberland, Norris, and Scott have placed their names in the transfer portal.

As was posted on the other site, Norris is also in the transfer portal:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/braden-norris
http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/oakland
Detroit Mercy NEVER did great things! Detroit did, while Mercy failed
MotownTitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:01 pm

ptctitan wrote:

That's on top of losing five or six players (graduates or transfer) after the end of last season.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:47 pm

It's been a bad week for the HL.

Two of the 5 members of the HL All-Freshman team have entered the transfer portal.

Pre-season 2019-20 favorite Oakland may have lost two important players it was counting on for next year.

Now, the coach of the league's championship team has left to coach across the Ohio River at Cincy.

This creates an opportunity for us if Davis recruits well.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:41 pm

From The Detroit News:

“Oakland hoops dealt big blow, with departures of Braden Norris, Jaevin Cumberland”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 479445002/
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Norris leaving makes perfect sense. He’s a really good college player that has potential to develop and get major minutes at a major program. NBA potential? I really don’t think so. Four solid years of college ball and a nice contract to make a few bucks in Europe? Absolutely. He can transfer, take a year on the bench, play two more (graduate) and possibly transfer again for his final year of eligibility. This assumes the transfer rules don’t change. I think a guy like him would be stupid not to transfer this year.

Seems like a good player with his head on straight. And I believe his dad is a coach. I think he’d fit in very well with the current ND team. I’d rather have someone like Norris than Cole Anthony.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:57 am

Re: Norris. One moral of the story is that no fan of any mid-major program should ever get overly cocky about his/her team now that the transfer portal relieves a player of the requirement to get a release from his school before seeking to transfer to another school. That applies to us - just as much.

All NCAA rules are designed to benefit the power conferences.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 am

So true, ptc. I wouldn’t be surprised if at least 3 of the 5 transferring on the all freshman HL team becomes the norm.

And it is designed for the power conferences. Even the new grad transfer rule that is being proposed and will likely get passed is more beneficial for the power schools. The rule, as I understand it, says that the grad transfer needs to complete his graduate degree during the one year at the new school. If not, the program loses a scholarship for the following year. Which institutions happen to have a wide variety of graduate degrees than can even reasonably be completed in one year? Flagship publics and wealthy elite private schools . . . AKA, power conference schools.
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Daniel Oladapo has decided to rescind his commitment to Oakland. He was a JC forward who verbally committed to OU a few weeks ago.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Congratulations on this wise decision, Daniel!
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I can’t believe it’s Tuesday and Hill-Mais hasn’t entered the transfer portal. Maybe he can’t figure out how to use a computer?

Here’s my current list of OU affiliated people who have NOT transferred or rescinded commitment:

1. Greg Kampe
2. Hill-Mais (I still think he’s gone by the weekend)
3. Brechting (I’m convinced that dude is actually like 30 and can’t transfer because the paperwork will out him)
4. Grizz
5. OUDrummer
Tacitus651
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Daniel Oladapo has decided to rescind his commitment to Oakland. He was a JC forward who verbally committed to OU a few weeks ago.

Is he the JUCO from Chipola referenced above?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:22 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Daniel Oladapo has decided to rescind his commitment to Oakland. He was a JC forward who verbally committed to OU a few weeks ago.

Affirmative.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby titanmike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:32 pm

NC Titan wrote:

Chipolte
titanmike
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball