Explosive Comments

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Explosive Comments

Postby 1975SHjoe » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Check out Coach's post Youngstown game interview beginning at the 5 minute mark. Its on the UDM website. All I can say is wow!
1975SHjoe
Senior
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Tacitus651 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:59 am

As an alumnus, this postgame interview by Davis is the most disgusting and ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. He’s flat out saying he’s going to kick nearly all the players off this team come March. Davis recruited these guys and signed them. It’s his job to inspire them, coach them, help them become better basketball players, and most importantly earn degrees from Detroit Mercy. Instead he’s throwing all of them under the bus and giving up on them. Shame on him and shame on us for hiring a man who treats students this way.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Titan Jim » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:04 am

Where is the interview? Do you have a link?
Titan Jim
Senior
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby R.B.J1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 am

Tacitus651 wrote:As an alumnus, this postgame interview by Davis is the most disgusting and ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. He’s flat out saying he’s going to kick nearly all the players off this team come March. Davis recruited these guys and signed them. It’s his job to inspire them, coach them, help them become better basketball players, and most importantly earn degrees from Detroit Mercy. Instead he’s throwing all of them under the bus and giving up on them. Shame on him and shame on us for hiring a man who treats students this way.


I cant find anything on the schools website. However, I dont like the way coach Davis behaves on the sidelines. I've never cared for the Bob Knight/Don Cheney/Tom Izzo sideline histrionics. Maybe he should go on the road and recruit, instead of using youtube highlights as a scouting service.
R.B.J1
Senior
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby The-Dude » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:35 am

My opinion is that some kids come to school but can’t make it, they flunk academically. In this case, Coach is saying that the players are not listening and flunking basketball. I’d like say to coach to please give them one more chance. If they don’t listen, then first put them in time-out and then take their scholarships away. What’s interesting to me is that it’s the entire team. Btw, here is the link:

https://detroittitans.com/documents/202 ... stgame.mp3
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:43 am

He assessment is accurate on the court. I don’t think he is just tossing out scholarship guys. First off we have something called the APR ban looming over us. I think he would redshirt them but that is an assumption. Are guys don’t come out with the energy on offense or defense. A lot of players look like they are running through the motions. I feel it might of been a big blow to are players to see how many fans dropped off in that stadium after the OU game. Last night was a ghost town.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby TitanONeill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Im sorry but I agree with his assessment. He is right. A team that is full of non D1 kids. Sorry. Besides AD, who would you want on your team? Be honest. Quit being an apologist.
TitanONeill
Senior
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby udballer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:40 pm

I'd want Chris Brandon on my team for sure. I'd take Miller as well, just wouldn't want him at center. I'd enjoy Moore on the team as well as a role player.

If he's pissed about the rest of the team lacking talent, he should look in the mirror. I'm sure nobody forced him to offer any one of them a scholarship.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby ptctitan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 pm

TitanONeill wrote:Im sorry but I agree with his assessment. He is right. A team that is full of non D1 kids. Sorry. Besides AD, who would you want on your team? Be honest. Quit being an apologist.


Coach did not say that his players lack D-1 talent. He said that all but one would be role players on other teams. Therefore, they must play with high effort for all of the game. They don't have enough individual talent to play without energy for long periods of time and win games. There were reasons why those players were available for him to sign in June, July, and August of 2018.

He also expressed frustration with his team for not running the plays during the game that they work on in practice. Specifically, he spoke about the rim run play. In transition, he wants a big guy to run to the low post in front of the rim and post up. He wants two of his shooters to run to the corners and be ready to receive a pass for an open shot. They practice this play repeatedly, but under the pressure of the game, the players continue not to execute it. The big guy posts up high and the shooters stop foul line extended and don't complete their runs to the corners. This causes the defense to bunch and enables them to double and triple the ball more easily.

In this context, he repeated what he said after the Northeastern game. If they'r'e not going to run the plays as practiced, he'll bring in new players who will do so. He listed the same roster deficiencies that we talk about repeatedly. We don't have a secondary ball handler. We don't have two bigs.

I thought his assessment was candid and accurate. I don't think it's the first time he made these comments to his own players after a game. I don't mind that he shows his emotions. A lot of times what you think is him complaining about a call is him complaining about our player's failure to execute his assignment properly. Yes, he works the officials. But it's not as frequent as it appears from the stands or from TV.

In the end, the explosive comments after yesterday's game were not the first time he has made similar statements in those interviews.
ptctitan
Senior
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:48 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby uofdfan1983 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm

I sat in the first row and was upset with their effort last night (again). Some guys give lots of effort for stretches, but not for the full game. I was upset during and after the game, losing to the Penguins at home, and for the 2nd time this year.

I believe one of the problems our Coaches face has been that because of either: 1) the lateness of his first recruiting class 2) the APR ban crippling last year's class 3) the reliance on watching video of a player instead of actually going to several games and having many conversations and actually getting to know their recruits (and it's probably a combination of these factors) -- Davis did not know enough about the character/heart of some of his recruits before he signed them. So, unfortunately, he finds out after they matriculate. This is the opposite of the Watson routine -- when I would sometimes complain that he was TOO picky about who he recruited -- if he wasn't at your baptism and didn't play ball with your Dad he wouldn't recruit you!

But I do find it refreshing that (both Davises, actually) show emotions. I do find it refreshing that Coach Davis is honest. I do enjoy hearing the Coach actually say something in an interview. Too many coaches talk but say nothing (we have had our share). Everyone else at U-D paints a rosy picture onto a sinking ship all the time, so it's refreshing to hear some truth and some urgency and a desire to actually clean up the ship and get it upright again.

I will say that when he starts to count "8 new recruits" when we only have 2 scholarships open (and says it over and over) that's overboard. He can't do that and he shouldn't say it -- it would destroy our APR again and make us look like a renegade program. We can't do it -- he shouldn't say it. But the players should feel like they are playing for their scholarships --- that they have to earn the right to be here. I am not a big Izzo fan but he does this all the time, and look at the recruits he brings in and look at the success he's had.

I have no problem with Davis questioning the players' efforts or pointing out that they don't run the plays they practice. He mentioned a trap -- late in the game Willie and Rose had a guy trapped in the left corner and he somehow escaped and went baseline all the way for a layup. The help came late -- the first ref called a charge but another ref overruled and called it a block and their big guy made an old-fashioned 3-point play. It was a critical play in the game at a critical point. I was livid. Coach mentioned it in the postgame -- how did help not get to the baseline in time?? -- the guy eluded a corner trap and dribble 25 feet for a reverse layup!

Calm it down a little and watch your words more carefully, Coach. But don't lose the passion or the honesty or the love for winning.
Tom Buysse
Classes of 1983 and 1987
uofdfan1983
Senior
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:34 am

uofdfan1983 wrote:
I have no problem with Davis questioning the players' efforts or pointing out that they don't run the plays they practice. He mentioned a trap -- late in the game Willie and Rose had a guy trapped in the left corner and he somehow escaped and went baseline all the way for a layup. The help came late -- the first ref called a charge but another ref overruled and called it a block and their big guy made an old-fashioned 3-point play. It was a critical play in the game at a critical point. I was livid. Coach mentioned it in the postgame -- how did help not get to the baseline in time?? -- the guy eluded a corner trap and dribble 25 feet for a reverse layup!


Also no one was going for the steal the whole time during the press. They were throwing the ball across court and are guy look like they were going through the motions. No one even tried to get the steal. If Mcfolly, or Hamerick was there I think their would of been at least one or two steals during the press. Also you trap the guy then grab the ball and get a jump ball call. Their is a reason why a team with a APR ban ( and a conference with rating 23) got some of these transfers. They have a major flaw in there game. For example Rose is a hell of a cutter but can not finish and lacks energy on defense for long periods at a time. If he could get to 50 or 60 percent on his drive we are rolling over the teams in the middle of the conference .
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby udballer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:29 pm

Coach now dogging Brandon for no effort in today's game. Tough to come up with 17 boards and 3 blocks without trying. He must be one of the most talented players in D1, I guess.

Just a very negative perspective game in and game out. The team sucks, we get it. I don't recall the last time any of the blame was on him in one of these interviews.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:38 pm

udballer wrote:Coach now dogging Brandon for no effort in today's game. Tough to come up with 17 boards and 3 blocks without trying. He must be one of the most talented players in D1, I guess.

Just a very negative perspective game in and game out. The team sucks, we get it. I don't recall the last time any of the blame was on him in one of these interviews.


Wasn’t coach supposed to change the entire culture within 3 months from arriving or something? We have the poor man’s version of Bobby Knight. All of the tantrums but none of the winning.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby udballer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm

And while I'm in a bad mood following another loss, I'm tired of our pre-pubescent announcer going full fan-boy for AD. He actually ended the broadcast today with "well, it was all Antoine Davis here today with 17 points and 4 assists". My only guess is that he must not have seen the game. That trumped his comment in OT when AD got packed on a layup and he brought the "a couple more rotations and that could have been another goal tending".

Great insight.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:58 pm

udballer wrote:And while I'm in a bad mood following another loss, I'm tired of our pre-pubescent announcer going full fan-boy for AD. He actually ended the broadcast today with "well, it was all Antoine Davis here today with 17 points and 4 assists". My only guess is that he must not have seen the game. That trumped his comment in OT when AD got packed on a layup and he brought the "a couple more rotations and that could have been another goal tending".

Great insight.


LOL. And where is Cureton? And they can’t find anybody else willing to get paid to watch these games and add commentary? Such a sad state of this program.

It was a bad optic on tv today. The benches behind CSU were full of their fans and they sounded much louder, while the bleachers behind our bench had a couple people leisurely laying around staring at cell phones. When we had the ball all I could hear is “defense!” over and over.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:
udballer wrote:And while I'm in a bad mood following another loss, I'm tired of our pre-pubescent announcer going full fan-boy for AD. He actually ended the broadcast today with "well, it was all Antoine Davis here today with 17 points and 4 assists". My only guess is that he must not have seen the game. That trumped his comment in OT when AD got packed on a layup and he brought the "a couple more rotations and that could have been another goal tending".

Great insight.


LOL. And where is Cureton? And they can’t find anybody else willing to get paid to watch these games and add commentary? Such a sad state of this program.

It was a bad optic on tv today. The benches behind CSU were full of their fans and they sounded much louder, while the bleachers behind our bench had a couple people leisurely laying around staring at cell phones. When we had the ball all I could hear is “defense!” over and over.

In years past they would restrict seating in the section behind the Titans bench, I believe limited to families of the coach and players and some other categories. Not sure if that is still the case, but for next season I would recommend they develop a policy that encourages our fans to sit in that section, primarily because it flashes so frequently on the television or ESPN3/+ feed. Crowd today was 1,274. Bleachers across from the benches on the west side of the arena were pretty full. Cleveland St. had a nice group there, due in part to having a guy from Detroit and another from Saginaw on the Viking roster. Heard there were around 2,000 last night for the PSL championship. Even acknowledging the small crowd size today, there was a good buzz going in the second half when the Titans clawed back from the 15 point halftime deficit.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby Tacitus651 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:57 pm

I felt coach’s comments from today’s postgame were even worse. Just disparaging comments about the players, passing the buck as usual. I make a lot of jokes, but in all seriousness coach has crossed the line the last two postgame pressers and it really needs to stop. Coach is embarrassing himself, our school, and making public statements about our players that we, as a fan base, should not tolerate. Non alumni fans have no business weighing in on this, but if alumni fans disagree with me so be it.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior
 
Posts: 2642
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Tacitus651 wrote:I felt coach’s comments from today’s postgame were even worse. Just disparaging comments about the players, passing the buck as usual. I make a lot of jokes, but in all seriousness coach has crossed the line the last two postgame pressers and it really needs to stop. Coach is embarrassing himself, our school, and making public statements about our players that we, as a fan base, should not tolerate. Non alumni fans have no business weighing in on this, but if alumni fans disagree with me so be it.


I am an alumni and I disagree with your point Of view.
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby The-Dude » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:42 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I felt coach’s comments from today’s postgame were even worse. Just disparaging comments about the players, passing the buck as usual. I make a lot of jokes, but in all seriousness coach has crossed the line the last two postgame pressers and it really needs to stop. Coach is embarrassing himself, our school, and making public statements about our players that we, as a fan base, should not tolerate. Non alumni fans have no business weighing in on this, but if alumni fans disagree with me so be it.


I am an alumni and I disagree with your point Of view.


It’s utter shock that anyone, especially an alumni, would disagree with what Taci and others are saying. Coach has crossed the line with his comments. If the kids are not listening all season, maybe earn your $ and try a different approach. No way this is on the players. 100% on the Coaches.
The-Dude
Senior
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:27 am

Re: Explosive Comments

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:44 pm

JDetroitTitan wrote:
Tacitus651 wrote:I felt coach’s comments from today’s postgame were even worse. Just disparaging comments about the players, passing the buck as usual. I make a lot of jokes, but in all seriousness coach has crossed the line the last two postgame pressers and it really needs to stop. Coach is embarrassing himself, our school, and making public statements about our players that we, as a fan base, should not tolerate. Non alumni fans have no business weighing in on this, but if alumni fans disagree with me so be it.


I am an alumni and I disagree with your point Of view.


Me, too.

There were stretches when I thought the Titans were playing without any passion or urgency, and I thought to myself, Some of them have given up on the season.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2644
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests