Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby Rogobob77 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm

The Titans 2019-20 season comes mercifully to an end on Leap Day, a battle to more-or-less the bottom in Indy against IUPUI. Both teams are 7-23, but the Titans’ superior record in the Horizon has the Detroiters with a lock-hold on 9th place in the league standings. IUPUI is coming off a close win over Oakland, whereas Detroit Mercy lost by 17 to UIC. ESPN’s matchup prediction model computes a 53% chance of a win for the Titans; don’t think there is a point spread out yet, I’m going to venture a guess and say IUPUI by 1. Hoping for a win to end the season, then it’s wait-until-next-year as fans will look to see what comes together for the roster and the 2020-21 schedule. Here’s a link to the IUPUI website’s game preview:

https://iupuijags.com/news/2020/2/28/me ... inale.aspx
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:18 pm

IUPUI a 1.5 point favorite.

Miller not able to play due to injury.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:59 pm

44-44 at half.
Antoine with 22 at the half on 8 of 14 from the field!
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:15 am

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 pm

This is not a defensive struggle. Antoine has 41 points with six minutes to go. Boe is having a good game, as is Moore.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Titans win 90-88. Solid FT shooting under pressure, smart end-of-game defense, ability to in-bound the ball. Antoine has 43.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby titandave » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:44 pm

It's nice to end the season with a victory, especially a road win! Our Sophomore class carried the day.

As I've posted under a couple of other topics; the six Sophomores are a solid group, they represent a good foundation for the future. :D
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Game recap:

https://detroittitans.com/news/2020/2/2 ... iupui.aspx

Interesting remarks in the post game interview. Davis reiterates past statements saying that he wants to bring in five or six new guys. Says one of those will be an experienced point guard, also a minimum of two new big guys. Later says he anticipates possibility of four or five fifth-year players. Coach also said he will be less secretive about recruiting than in the past. Said next year’s schedule will be adjusted so look for more winnable games in the non-conference for 2020-21. When asked about the post-season ban being potentially lifted for next year, he seemed to say he didn’t know, perhaps gun shy about saying anything on that topic.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby titandave » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:52 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:Interesting remarks in the post game interview. Davis reiterates past statements saying that he wants to bring in five or six new guys. Says one of those will be an experienced point guard, also a minimum of two new big guys. Later says he anticipates possibility of four or five fifth-year players.


On several occasions we've heard Mike Davis talk about bringing in 'five or six' new guys for 2020-21. Based on the returning scholarship players; it appears we have only 3 new scholarships available for 2020-21. Evidentially MD is expecting several players to leave the program.

Returning Scholarship Players (10)
Jordan Gorman
Brad Calipari
Dwayne Rose Jr.
Alonde LeGrand
Chris Brandon
Marquis Moore
Willy Isiani
Boe Nguidjol
Jamal Pink
Sam Hofman
titandave
Senior
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:37 pm

titandave wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:Interesting remarks in the post game interview. Davis reiterates past statements saying that he wants to bring in five or six new guys. Says one of those will be an experienced point guard, also a minimum of two new big guys. Later says he anticipates possibility of four or five fifth-year players.


On several occasions we've heard Mike Davis talk about bringing in 'five of six' new guys for 2020-21. Based on the returning scholarship players; it appears we have only 3 new scholarships available for 2020-21. Evidentially MD is expecting several players to leave the program.

Returning Scholarship Players (10)
Jordan Gorman
Brad Calipari
Dwayne Rose Jr.
Alonde LeGrand
Chris Brandon
Marquis Moore
Willy Isiani
Boe Nguidjol
Jamal Pink
Sam Hofman

Antoine Davis was also on scholarship this year, so that makes 11 retuning with that status. Add the two incoming freshmen and you are up to 13.

There was some speculation that Gorman’s and Calipari’s scholarships might be just for this year (they started the season as walk-ons). Davis was a walk-on as a freshman, perhaps he reverts to that status for his junior year. Such status changes combined open up three scholarships. Maybe a couple other players transfer, which would allow room to add five new guys. In today’s radio interview, Coach said he would like to bring in an experienced point guard, a couple shooters, and a couple big men. He also implied that a significant percentage of the incoming Spring signee class could be fifth-year grad transfers. Coach Davis also said he would be less secretive (his words) about the recruiting process, so maybe fans won’t have to wait until August to learn who is on the team for the 2020-21 season.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby udballer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Good to see the team edge the worst team in the league to end the season with a 'W'.
udballer
Senior
 
Posts: 1524
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby NC Titan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:There was some speculation that Gorman’s and Calipari’s scholarships might be just for this year (they started the season as walk-ons). Davis was a walk-on as a freshman, perhaps he reverts to that status for his junior year. Such status changes combined open up three scholarships. Maybe a couple other players transfer, which would allow room to add five new guys. In today’s radio interview, Coach said he would like to bring in an experienced point guard, a couple shooters, and a couple big men. He also implied that a significant percentage of the incoming Spring signee class could be fifth-year grad transfers. Coach Davis also said he would be less secretive (his words) about the recruiting process, so maybe fans won’t have to wait until August to learn who is on the team for the 2020-21 season.


Moving Calipari back to walk-on couldn't possibly have any effect on the APR as he is a grad transfer. Moving AD back to walk-on wouldn't have any APR effect because he's not going to transfer out. With Pink and an incoming player at PG Gorman could lose some bargaining chips, so putting him back on walk-on has little downside. Perhaps Coach has some prospects who would come to the school as preferred walk-ons.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby Rogobob77 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 pm

NC Titan wrote:
Rogobob77 wrote:There was some speculation that Gorman’s and Calipari’s scholarships might be just for this year (they started the season as walk-ons). Davis was a walk-on as a freshman, perhaps he reverts to that status for his junior year. Such status changes combined open up three scholarships. Maybe a couple other players transfer, which would allow room to add five new guys. In today’s radio interview, Coach said he would like to bring in an experienced point guard, a couple shooters, and a couple big men. He also implied that a significant percentage of the incoming Spring signee class could be fifth-year grad transfers. Coach Davis also said he would be less secretive (his words) about the recruiting process, so maybe fans won’t have to wait until August to learn who is on the team for the 2020-21 season.


Moving Calipari back to walk-on couldn't possibly have any effect on the APR as he is a grad transfer. Moving AD back to walk-on wouldn't have any APR effect because he's not going to transfer out. With Pink and an incoming player at PG Gorman could lose some bargaining chips, so putting him back on walk-on has little downside. Perhaps Coach has some prospects who would come to the school as preferred walk-ons.

Preferred walk-ons for a mid-major are almost always borderline D-1 level freshmen recruits. Coach sounds like he wants experienced difference makers who would elevate the current talent level. The math is such that he can’t add five new impact players without saying goodbye to at least a couple scholarship guys on the current roster.

As I understand the current APR rules, a university can receive an “adjustment” from the NCAA and won’t lose an APR retention point if the athlete transferring to another four-year college has a GPA of at least 2.6. But if someone transfers with a lower GPA, it would adversely affect the Titans’ APR retention score, something they can ill afford given current circumstances.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out.
Rogobob77
Senior
 
Posts: 3568
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:30 pm

http://twitter.com/JDetroiTitan/status/1234985301820338178


I am putting my hat in the race in creating next season pregame video

For the best entertainment quality watch with audio on full screen up
JDetroitTitan
Senior
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Re: Titans vs. IUPUI (February 29)

Postby NC Titan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Nice work, JDT. Thanks for sharing.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior
 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm


Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Chuck and 11 guests