Oakland Guard to the transfer portal

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Re: Oakland Guard to the transfer portal

Postby Commissioner » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:33 pm

ptctitan wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:Maybe OU is having APR rating issues next year and players are jumping ship? Did I break this story or is it just coincidence that these guys are leaving. I guess time will tell

First, I don't wish APR issues on anyone - especially when they result from transfers. The NCAA created the portal and shifted all the power to the players. I think the NCAA recognizes this because it has called for full comment by all compliance officers on the APR after the portal took effect.

Second, it is a 4-year average APR score (not one bad year) that determines whether a school is subject to penalties. One bad APR for OU most likely would not subject them to any penalties. Our issue is that we had two bad APRs in a four-year span. OU could withstand an APR as low as 837 for 2018-19 and still not be penalized. OU still has a very good APR from 2015-16 that can offset a 2018-19 as low as 837.

Transfers don't hurt APR if they enroll elsewhere and have a GPA above 2.6.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am

Commissioner wrote:
ptctitan wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:Maybe OU is having APR rating issues next year and players are jumping ship? Did I break this story or is it just coincidence that these guys are leaving. I guess time will tell

First, I don't wish APR issues on anyone - especially when they result from transfers. The NCAA created the portal and shifted all the power to the players. I think the NCAA recognizes this because it has called for full comment by all compliance officers on the APR after the portal took effect.

Second, it is a 4-year average APR score (not one bad year) that determines whether a school is subject to penalties. One bad APR for OU most likely would not subject them to any penalties. Our issue is that we had two bad APRs in a four-year span. OU could withstand an APR as low as 837 for 2018-19 and still not be penalized. OU still has a very good APR from 2015-16 that can offset a 2018-19 as low as 837.

Transfers don't hurt APR if they enroll elsewhere and have a GPA above 2.6.

Commissioner can you show me were it says that because when I go to (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/res ... s-rate-apr) I read in the first pharagraph

"Implemented in 2003 as part of an ambitious academic reform effort in Division I, the Academic Progress Rate (APR) holds institutions accountable for the academic progress of their student-athletes through a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each student-athlete for each academic term."

I understand some people have been saying the ruling is change I just want to see the official word. Sorry I am just a little skeptical especially when talking about this topic.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:44 am

Commissioner wrote:
JDetroitTitan wrote:
NC Titan wrote:Were I an OU fan I would be more concerned about roster quality with all these transfers. A couple of season ago OU graduated or lost their top six players. Hard to recover from, and if players are leaving at this rate, the cupboard is going to be somewhat bare for Kampe. Though he is a good recruiter.......

I don't understand why all of their players are leaving. Is it because they have to play in a glorified High School gym or is it because there warm up look like the Hamburglar design them :lol:

Maybe they want to play for a school that has a competitive, exciting series against a cross-town rival.

+1
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 am

ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:10 am

Right, this is what I was referring to as well. Thanks, PTC.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:42 am

Commissioner wrote:

Right, this is what I was referring to as well. Thanks, PTC.

Thank you for the information
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:46 am

Oakland losing another guy to the transfer portal, Zach Goodline. Didn't play much as a freshman.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:20 pm

From the Detroit News:

Oakland has six players in the transfer portal, most notably rising junior guard Tray Maddox Jr. of Novi. The six players are the second-most for any team in the Division I portal, behind Wichita State and California Baptist, each of which has seven players transferring.

Joining Maddox in the transfer portal for Oakland: guard CJ Gettelfinger, who will be a sophomore; forward Jackie Harris, who will be a sophomore; guard Madison Monroe, who will be a sophomore; guard Kenny Pittman Jr., who will be a junior; and guard Zach Goodline, a walk-on at Oakland who will be a sophomore.

What's going on with Oakland? Usually a raft of kids transferring out means either a fired coach or trouble in the program. Kampe is still there, but for the second year in a row (I think) the Grizzlies have lost quite a few players. Four of those leaving are sophomores (one a walk-on), which means half of last year's recruiting class is leaving.

(So far LaGrand is the only name I've heard as far as leaving the Titans' roster.)
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 am

titanmike wrote:Add Traveon Maddox and Christoper Gettlefiner, that's huge with Maddox leaving.

In honor of Fullerton Avenue in Detroit, Maddox commits to Cal State-Fullerton.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 pm

ptctitan wrote:
titanmike wrote:Add Traveon Maddox and Christoper Gettlefiner, that's huge with Maddox leaving.

In honor of Fullerton Avenue in Detroit, Maddox commits to Cal State-Fullerton.

So he's going to be a Titan.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball