Will coach Davis return in 20-21?

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Will coach Davis return in 20-21?

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am

Not trying to stir the pot, but is anyone else wondering whether Mike Davis stays at UDM this off-season? We do know that his agent reached out about other gigs last year, as reported in Sports Illustrated.

Add to that Coach’s clear frustration with his current players, inability to turn things around the first two years (when he said it’d take two months), the goof by Vowels to properly communicate the APR appeal/waiver (I get that coach also contributed to the APR debacle with his post game SIUE interview), and other issues. Hard to believe that coach is very happy here. And a lot of what’s gone wrong truly is not his fault.

Coaching Changes on Twitter put Davis on a list of 10 that Clemson should consider should they have a vacancy. The Coaching Changes dudes have always loved Davis, but I find it very hard to believe that any P5 school could hire Davis this offseason considering his UDM record without their fans revolting. But, I can’t help wonder if Davis would jump ship to go to another mid major should something appealing to him open up in the next month or so. Despite what Vowels said, I don’t think UDM is in the clear with the APR stuff just yet. And, what if coach can’t recruit the grad transfer/JUCO players that he’s said he basically needs to turn things around next season? Coach has an asset (AD) to maybe land a decent mid major job this offseason. Given the increase in player waivers and possibility that players will not need to sit anymore anyway, I think the NCAA would grant AD a waiver to follow his dad.

Just saying I won’t be surprised to see Davis mentioned as a candidate for some open positions. Wouldn’t be shocked if he left either.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Re: Will coach Davis return in 20-21?

Postby The-Dude » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Very interesting and great point. I support any decision that Coach Davis makes and I hope that he can look out for himself and his family. As long as Vowels is AD, there program is not going anywhere.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Gig or gigs, tacitus? Which is it? There was the one LSU inquiry, which was never explained, at least not that I'm aware of, by the coach or the AD. Then again, other more pertinent subjects weren't explained either over the past 18 months or so.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Tacitus651 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Fair enough, I suppose only one gig reported. But, I wouldn’t say unreasonable to assume that any agent instructed to seek opportunities for their client would approach numerous schools. Or, maybe Davis really was just interested in LSU. We’ll never know.

The-Dude, as usual, makes a good point. Program is going nowhere with Vowels in charge. I have to believe that Vowels fed Davis bad info which led to the awful SIUE postgame thing. Davis took a serious hit with his credibility. Ironically, Davis being attached to Vowels and the hurdles Vowels put in his way are probably too much to overcome and get a new job. Funny how life works sometimes.
“We gotta get some guys that love Detroit Mercy more than just being on a basketball team, playing basketball and going on trips.” - Head Coach Mike Davis
Tacitus651
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball