2020-21 Rotation

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

2020-21 Rotation

Postby titandave » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm thinking positive that a 2020-21 season will be played and fans allowed in attendance. :)

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to discuss a possible rotation.

Backcourt
AD, Rose, & Fraser

Wing
Moore

Front Court
Boe, Brandon, & TBD (transfer in)
Last edited by titandave on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
titandave
Senior

Re: 2020-21 Rotation

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:03 pm

Good topic. I am just going to use the players we have at this time.

Starting 5
PG/SG - Antoine Davis
PG/SG -Marquell Fraser
SF - Marquis Moore
PF - Boe
C - Brandon

Bench rotation in
Willy, Rose, Sam

Front court
Boe/Brandon/Willy
Wing
Sam, Marquis
Back cout
AD. Q and Rose

Most of these player can really play most of the positions on the court with exception to PG and C.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Based on the current roster, I believer we're looking at the following 7 player rotation with starters in bold. I'm thinking three key factors to improving results ... (1) Fraser and Kuol quickly adapt to the system, (2) Isiani and Hofman significantly elevate their contributions and (3) Across the board better performance on defense.

Backcourt
AD, Fraser & Rose

Wing
Kuol

Front Court
Brandon, Isiani, & Hofman
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:45 pm

titandave wrote:Based on the current roster, I believer we're looking at the following 7 player rotation with starters in bold. I'm thinking three key factors to improving results ... (1) Fraser and Kuol quickly adapt to the system, (2) Isiani and Hofman significantly elevate their contributions and (3) Across the board better performance on defense.

Backcourt
AD, Fraser & Rose

Wing
Kuol

Front Court
Brandon, Isiani, & Hofman

Waterman?
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:07 pm

NC Titan wrote:Waterman?

I'm assuming that Noah Waterman will need to sit out the 2020-21 season due to transfer rules.
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:18 pm

According to Rogobob he's eligible immediately. He played in seven games last year before an injury, so at minimum he should be eligible second semester. There was a coaching change, too, which quite often results in a waiver of that year sitting out. The Niagara board, which was disappointed that he was leaving, spoke as if he had "instant eligibility" and would be playing this year.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:09 am

Waterman was an injury redshirt last year. I'm pretty certain that he would normally need a waiver to be immediately eligible, but those aren't that hard to come by these days. As noted, his coach left.

If Waterman is not eligible, we are looking very small again, with Willy forced to battle inside again. We do still have a couple open slots to fill, however.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby titandave » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Commissioner wrote:Waterman was an injury redshirt last year. I'm pretty certain that he would normally need a waiver to be immediately eligible, but those aren't that hard to come by these days. As noted, his coach left.

That would be great if Waterman is eligible for the upcoming season! I'm thinking an eight player rotation would looking something along the lines of the following:

PG ... AD
SG ... Fraser
Wing ... Kuol
PF ... Brandon
C ... Waterman

Rotation: Rose Jr., Calipari, & Willy
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:19 pm

titandave wrote:
Commissioner wrote:Waterman was an injury redshirt last year. I'm pretty certain that he would normally need a waiver to be immediately eligible, but those aren't that hard to come by these days. As noted, his coach left.

That would be great if Waterman is eligible for the upcoming season! I'm thinking an eight player rotation would looking something along the lines of the following:

PG ... AD
SG ... Fraser
Wing ... Kuol
PF ... Brandon
C ... Waterman

Rotation: Rose Jr., Calipari, & Willy

I would swap AD and Fraser. Coach has been hunting for a point guard to take that off AD's shoulders. I don't see Calipari getting much court time this season. And I would like to see Willy subbing in for Kuol. He was brought in to be a small forward, not a power forward.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titandave » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm

NC Titan wrote: And I would like to see Willy subbing in for Kuol. He was brought in to be a small forward, not a power forward.

It will be interesting to see the how the competition at Small Forward plays out. It appears we have several players that can be effective in scoring from the SF position which will certainly take some pressure off AD.
titandave
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Wondering if there would even be a season. The Covid-19 issue has everyone in limbo.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 am

Updated Starting line up

Starting 5
PG/SG - Antoine Davis
PG/SG -Marquell Fraser
SF - Noah Waterman
PF - Brandon/Bul (depends on the match up)
C -Taurean Thompson

Bench rotation
Brandon/Bul , Matt, rose, Sam, Willy

What do people feel about Willy playing SF ? Do you think he would play better SF than a C ?
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby TitanVoiceofReason » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:31 am

@JDetroitTitan...… that's a good depth chart. As far as Willy I view him as a stretch PF and backup C. I would like to see him consistently make his open 3's, set screens and rebound.
TitanVoiceofReason
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:59 am

I think Kuol is more likely to play small forward that power forward. While he's 6-foot-7 he's not big-bodied at just 215 pounds. And he shoots more three-point attempts than two-point tries, and hits the three at more than 40%. He's not a prolific rebounder. Waterman plays more of a close-in game that Kuol.

Willy was recruited, I believe, as a large small forward. He was touted as an outside shooter. As TVR said, he is big enough that he can fill in at PF and C -- as evidenced last year -- but his natural position is SF.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:51 am

NC Titan wrote:I think Kuol is more likely to play small forward that power forward. While he's 6-foot-7 he's not big-bodied at just 215 pounds. And he shoots more three-point attempts than two-point tries, and hits the three at more than 40%. He's not a prolific rebounder. Waterman plays more of a close-in game that Kuol.

Willy was recruited, I believe, as a large small forward. He was touted as an outside shooter. As TVR said, he is big enough that he can fill in at PF and C -- as evidenced last year -- but his natural position is SF.

Bul to me is more of a catch and shoot type of player. He looks to have an above average wingspan and a strong frame. His rebounding, going off stats, appears to be a little better than Noah.
Noah played pg in high school and has above average handles for a 6'11". If I wanted to take advantage of his talents and expand on it I would have him play SF because he could slash, shoot and pass. If I just wanted to take advantage of his size I would teach him how to play 4 or 5. But I don't know how well that will work out. In the end I would say Bul game would transfer into a better PF than Noah would.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby titandave » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:03 pm

Based on recent additions to our roster, we certainly have more options and depth in the front court.

PG/SG ... Davis
PG/SG ... Fraser
SF/Wing ... Kuol
PF ... Brandon
C ... Thompson

Rotation: Waterman, Isiani, Rose Jr.
titandave
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 pm

titandave wrote:Based on recent additions to our roster, we certainly have more options and depth in the front court.

PG/SG ... Davis
PG/SG ... Fraser
SF/Wing ... Kuol
PF ... Brandon
C ... Thompson

Rotation: Waterman, Isiani, Rose Jr.

I'd sub in Matt Johnson ahead of Rose.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Postby titanmike » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 pm

I think we could be forgetting someone at center.
titanmike
Senior

Postby upbasketballfan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:34 am

Waterman didn't leave a starting job to come to Detroit to ride the pine.

Starters Davis, Waterman, Brandon and Thompson. The 5th spot will be shared between Kuol, Fraser, Isiani, Rose and the new Big yet to sign. The 5th spot will be decided by match ups.
upbasketballfan
Senior

Postby NC Titan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:07 am

upbasketballfan wrote:Waterman didn't leave a starting job to come to Detroit to ride the pine.

Starters Davis, Waterman, Brandon and Thompson. The 5th spot will be shared between Kuol, Fraser, Isiani, Rose and the new Big yet to sign. The 5th spot will be decided by match ups.

Coach has been saying for two years that he wants someone else to bring the ball up, that he wants a PG to lighted AD's load. Coach brought in two guards specifically to help with ball-handling. This lineup doesn't do that. As a matter of fact, we have a guard-heavy roster and this rotation is a single guard.
#DetroitsCollegeTeam
NC Titan
Senior

Next

Return to Men's Basketball