Poll: Fans in the stadium

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

Would you be willing to go to a game this year?

No
8%
Yes, if a plan is made up to control distancing and everyone is wear PPE
31%
Yes, I don't care what every they ask me to do I will do to watch this team
31%
Only if a vaccine came out
31%

Total votes : 13

Poll: Fans in the stadium

Postby JDetroitTitan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

Vowels said they are leaning in more favor of not letting fans in the stadium

Hypothetically if I were going to put a plan out there it would look something like this:

-I would remove all the lower sitting (bleacher courtside)
-Fan would be season ticket holders and visitors'' parents only. This way you could plan sitting so everyone is distanced. The sits that will not be used zip tied closed. Seating would be assigned by the school based on first purchase (season holder) or longest season hold gets the closer seat.
-Fan would be limited to only enter at the front door near the ticket sale. Rope off the hallways. You can only come in and go up the one staircase. Temperature are taken at the door. You always have to have your mask on (unless eating). (Sell mask that say Detroit titan at the door )
-Players only enter the court from the back entrance that way they are far away from being in contact with fans.
-Doors open 1.5hr before game and will be closed 5 min before tip-off. Once doors are close you are not allowed in.
-No live national anthem performance. Play a tape of the national anthem over the big screen.
-Ushers will bring and take your order.
-After the game is over stay seated until ushers let your section out. This way there is not a mad dash to the door and will allow time for the players to leave the court and enter the locker room.
-Players family will wait in their seat until their player (son, family member) comes to get them to leave. (no one waiting in the hallway after the game)
-Also put the hand sanitizer station
-Bathroom will be only one location and have the ushers control the flow to the bathroom (if that is possible dependent on code and number of people)

All season tickets will be priced and sold as a donation. No refunds if the game is canceled. Included in the price 3 items a drink (item 1), slice of pizza, hot dog or nacho (Item 2), and chips, cookie or popcorn (item 3). This way you know you will have enough to running your concession stand and can plan out a delivery system.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Re: Poll: Fans in the stadium

Postby TitanBen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:22 pm

I like your plan JD
TitanBen
Senior

Postby Rogobob77 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:16 pm

I like your plan. I don’t think you would need to remove the bleachers, I would just not allow fan access to the Calihan lower bowl.
Rogobob77
Senior

Postby The-Dude » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:44 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Vowels said they are leaning in more favor of not letting fans in the stadium

Hypothetically if I were going to put a plan out there it would look something like this:

-Fan would be season ticket holders and visitors'' parents only. This way you could plan sitting so everyone is distanced. The sits that will not be used zip tied closed. Seating would be assigned by the school based on first purchase (season holder) or longest season hold gets the closer seat.
-Fan would be limited to only enter at the front door near the ticket sale. Rope off the hallways. You can only come in and go up the one staircase. Temperature are taken at the door. You always have to have your mask on (unless eating). (Sell mask that say Detroit titan at the door )
-Players only enter the court from the back entrance that way they are far away from being in contact with fans.
-Doors open 1.5hr before game and will be closed 5 min before tip-off. Once doors are close you are not allowed in.
-No live national anthem performance. Play a tape of the national anthem over the big screen.
-After the game is over stay seated until ushers let your section out. This way there is not a mad dash to the door and will allow time for the players to leave the court and enter the locker room.
-Players family will wait in their seat until their player (son, family member) comes to get them to leave. (no one waiting in the hallway after the game)
-Bathroom will be only one location and have the ushers control the flow to the bathroom (if that is possible dependent on code and number of people)

All season tickets will be priced and sold as a donation. No refunds if the game is canceled. Included in the price 3 items a drink (item 1), slice of pizza, hot dog or nacho (Item 2), and chips, cookie or popcorn (item 3). This way you know you will have enough to running your concession stand and can plan out a delivery system.

Thank GOD that you are not in charge of this plan. Your problem solving skills are questionable :) . While seemingly addressing a specific set of issues, you are creating more. Zip tying seats?! Seriously? Also moving bleachers is also completely unnecessary.
The-Dude
Senior

Postby 1975SHjoe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 am

Like all initial plans they are all subject to review and adjustments. But in principal its a positive approach to a health risk problem. Overall a good start.
1975SHjoe
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Rogobob77 wrote:I like your plan. I don’t think you would need to remove the bleachers, I would just not allow fan access to the Calihan lower bowl.

I didn't mean physically remove just not have anyone sitting in them or have access to it. I personally would just keep the bleachers closed. Maybe by doing that you can get some close camera shoots of the game along that side line now.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 am

Thanks JDT for trying to find a middle ground that lets fans enjoy attending games. I didn't vote in the poll because none of the choices reflect my view towards the issue.

I would not attend a game if the university required me to abide by a list of restrictions like those you have suggested. That is my personal choice. For those who would attend a game with those types of restrictions in place, that's their personal choice. For those who fear the virus and want to stay home, that's fine, too.

What's the point of going to a game in person if you can't socialize normally? If you couldn't gather in the Titan Club room after a win and have some fun with fellow Titan fans? Even if there is a vaccine, there will always be positive test results unless the virus dies on its own. By now, each of us should know our personal age and health risks to the effects of COVID and the age and health risks of those in our households. We should be able to make whatever decision is best for ourselves and our families. When I balance these risks against the reduced fun I'd have from those restrictions, I would stay home and watch on TV or listen on the radio. For those who would accept those restrictions and attend, I hope they'd have lots of fun and enjoy many Titan victories.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Big Chuck » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:49 am

The option of Yes was not offered, so I chose one of the yes ifs. That place is huge. If I can go to target with a mask, what's the difference between that and Calihan? Treat us as adults. Let society get back to something near normal. And yes i am over 70 and have risks. Restrict attendance to 1,000 to 1,500 and let it go.
Big Chuck
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Big Chuck wrote:The option of Yes was not offered, so I chose one of the yes ifs. That place is huge. If I can go to target with a mask, what's the difference between that and Calihan? Treat us as adults. Let society get back to something near normal. And yes i am over 70 and have risks. Restrict attendance to 1,000 to 1,500 and let it go.

The titan fan base for years now have been social distance before it was even a thing in Calihan Hall :lol: .
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:37 am

JDetroitTitan wrote:Vowels said they are leaning in more favor of not letting fans in the stadium

-Players only ent
er the court from the back entrance that way they are far away from being in contact with fans.

Wow. With all the new protocols in place, I’m beginning to think people will just lose interest in sports and find suitable replacements to occupy their time. I find myself gravitating to more reading for instance and taking on various recreational activities. I now comb through amazon.com and my own bookshelf to find good reads old and new (just finished the “Arc of Justice” written by UD alum Kevin Boyle). From civi rights, to technology, to history, I find myself consumed more with this form of entertainment. Certainly more so than watching games on tv with no fans - there is something artificial about that in my opinion.
No longer am I glued to the games on tv, instead one glimpse is looking at the score while with book in hand, the next is evaluating the next chapter. My workout regimen has become interesting too as I mix in biking, walking, boxing, and plenty of strength training.

These new personal habits have benefits to, I just received blood lab results that made my doctor happy and finally got her off of my back :D . Anyhow, these new normals with all its nuances, uncertainties, unpredictability’s, and there inconveniences have residual affects. The idea is to be at peace with the outcomes.

As far as the posted question, I would answer sure, I would love to attend a game live and in person. And afterwards take a quick trip down to the old Buddy’s and enjoy the company of other Titan fans along with a beverage or two and a nice pie. However, the answer would be notated by an asterisk because like so many other occurrences in the new normal era, it depends on the daily briefings we get. Spikes trending upwards today and then downwards tomorrow.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:55 am

Hoopster, in particular, but JD also, touch on issues which are relevant to the Titan game experience. We cannot afford to lose any more fans, whatever the reason. If fans are not permitted to attend this year, some may not come back, ever. And social distancing? We are way ahead of the 2020 trend in that regard.

As Big Chuck and pct suggest, treat the fans as adults and let them assess their own risks and rewards.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby Hoopster_Now_In_DC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm

dennycrane wrote:Hoopster, in particular, but JD also, touch on issues which are relevant to the Titan game experience. We cannot afford to lose any more fans, whatever the reason. If fans are not permitted to attend this year, some may not come back, ever. And social distancing? We are way ahead of the 2020 trend in that regard.

As Big Chuck and pct suggest, treat the fans as adults and let them assess their own risks and rewards.

You make valid points Denny. But as I stated, this is that residual outcome of the pandemic. The University will have to come-up with creative ways that compensate losing fans.

Add women’s Volleyball maybe football, add a medical school, become an academic force, do something extraordinary because I’m afraid Covid-19 will have a lasting impact on our society.
Hoopster_Now_In_DC
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball