FIRST LOOK AT THIS YEAR TRANSFER/GRADUATE STUDENTS

Go TITANS!!! Get all the news and gossip on Men's Basketball.
Forum rules
Please be courteous to one another and have some fun! Go Titans!!

FIRST LOOK AT THIS YEAR TRANSFER/GRADUATE STUDENTS

Postby sacredheartgreg » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:22 pm

BUL KUOL, MARQUELL FRASOR AND MATT JOHNSON-GREAT EFFORT DEFENSIVELY AND LOVED THE WAY THEY TOOK IT TO FEARLESSLY TO THE TIN!
GREAT ADDITIONS AND FINE BALL PLAYERS

TAUREAN THOMPSON- HE LOOKED DISORIENTATED OUT THERE. I RECORDED AND REWATCHED THE GAME AND I AM CONCERNED WITH WHAT I SAW. STRANGE, FOR HE HAS PLAYED BIG TIME BB ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

I HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRONIC AND WISH ONLY THE BEST FOR HIM ON THIS TEAM. WE NEED HIM.THEY SAY THE TALENT IS THERE AND I HOPE HE CAN COME AROUND AND REACH HIS FULL POTENTIAL AS A TITAN.
I WILL BE ROOTING FOR HIM.
sacredheartgreg
Senior

Re: FIRST LOOK AT THIS YEAR TRANSFER/GRADUATE STUDENTS

Postby titandave » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:39 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:BUL KUOL, MARQUELL FRASOR AND MATT JOHNSON-GREAT EFFORT DEFENSIVELY AND LOVED THE WAY THEY TOOK IT TO FEARLESSLY TO THE TIN!

TAUREAN THOMPSON- HE LOOKED DISORIENTATED OUT THERE. I RECORDED AND REWATCHED THE GAME AND I AM CONCERNED WITH WHAT I SAW. STRANGE, FOR HE HAS PLAYED BIG TIME BB ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

I HOPE THIS IS NOT CHRONIC AND WISH ONLY THE BEST FOR HIM ON THIS TEAM. WE NEED HIM.THEY SAY THE TALENT IS THERE AND I HOPE HE CAN COME AROUND AND REACH HIS FULL POTENTIAL AS A TITAN.

Interesting to note, when Taurean Thompson was at Seaton Hall; in the 2018-19 season he played in 27 games and averaged 4.6 points and 2.3 rebounds. Then in the 2019-20 season because he played in only one game at the beginning of the season. Was he injured?
titandave
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:13 pm

sacredheartgreg wrote:TAUREAN THOMPSON- HE LOOKED DISORIENTATED OUT THERE. I RECORDED AND REWATCHED THE GAME AND I AM CONCERNED WITH WHAT I SAW. STRANGE, FOR HE HAS PLAYED BIG TIME BB ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

I had to rewatch him play after you brought this up. I a very confused. It literally looked like the guy was running two steps behind. You could see him see what to do but it took a second to process what to do. I hope he is alright and this was a one time thing. He is definitely a better play then he played last night.

I love the energy from Bul, Q and Matt too.
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Postby hyperion » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 pm

titandave wrote:
sacredheartgreg wrote:BUL KUOL, MARQUELL FRASOR AND MATT JOHNSON-GREAT EFFORT DEFENSIVELY AND LOVED THE WAY THEY TOOK IT TO FEARLESSLY TO THE TIN!

Interesting to note, when Taurean Thompson was at Seaton Hall; in the 2018-19 season he played in 27 games and averaged 4.6 points and 2.3 rebounds. Then in the 2019-20 season because he played in only one game at the beginning of the season. Was he injured?

Dave, TT has never been the same player since the Harlem playground elbow injury, however, he’s currently not injured and simply needs more time to execute practice drills and show some team hustle. He should be fine once the rust wears off.
Let’s return to our former glory. Go Titans!
hyperion
Senior

Postby dennycrane » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Even with a delayed practice season, haven't they been at it for 5 weeks or so, hyperion? I'm not sure how the "rust" hasn't already been knocked off for TT. Like shg, I'm hoping he becomes a strong contributor but right now, I'm concerned.
dennycrane
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 pm

dennycrane wrote:Even with a delayed practice season, haven't they been at it for 5 weeks or so, hyperion? I'm not sure how the "rust" hasn't already been knocked off for TT. Like shg, I'm hoping he becomes a strong contributor but right now, I'm concerned.

Some people take longer than others to develop. Others take longer to recover from the fear of another injury. If there had been no COVID, a lot of these issues would have been worked out during the planned summer trip to Canada. Instead, Taurean got here right before the beginning of the fall term. He is a good student and a good person. Coach Davis and our staff will help him play to his potential. Yes, if he had been more ready to play, he could have helped us possibly win the last two games. But he is not yet ready.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Before the cancelled season opener against Richmond, Titan game notes had listed Thompson as a probable starter. https://detroittitans.com/documents/202 ... chmond.pdf.

So wha happened? Did the PR staff have no idea what was going on in practice? Was coach just shootin' the bull to try to surprise Richmond? Or did something else happen? To go from presumed starter on November 23 to 1 minute in two games two weeks later--with no games in between--is a pretty big drop.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby ptctitan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:52 pm

What happened during the 10 days between the issuance of the game notes for the Richmond game and MSU is that Willy got better on defense and Taurean did not match his improvement. Got it?

Read between the lines here. An individual student may face challenges that are not properly discussed in public. That's why coaches coach; mentors mentor; and professors teach. And things get accomplished in private. When I say that he is a good person, I am trying to exclude speculation about certain areas.
ptctitan
Senior

Postby Commissioner » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:29 pm

ptctitan wrote:What happened during the 10 days between the issuance of the game notes for the Richmond game and MSU is that Willy got better on defense and Taurean did not match his improvement. Got it?

Read between the lines here. An individual student may face challenges that are not properly discussed in public. That's why coaches coach; mentors mentor; and professors teach. And things get accomplished in private. When I say that he is a good person, I am trying to exclude speculation about certain areas.

No need for the hostile tone. I asked a question/made a comment. An appropriate answer is "He lost his starting spot in practice." Although that wouldn't answer it any more, because it's not just that he's not starting, but not playing.

Unusual to go from starter to zero minutes in 10 days of practice.
Titan All Americans Calihan Swanson Sparrow Ebben DeBusschere Murray Haywood Long Tyler Duerod Phillips Green McCallum
Commissioner
Senior

Postby JDetroitTitan » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Commissioner wrote:
ptctitan wrote:What happened during the 10 days between the issuance of the game notes for the Richmond game and MSU is that Willy got better on defense and Taurean did not match his improvement. Got it?

No need for the hostile tone. I asked a question/made a comment. An appropriate answer is "He lost his starting spot in practice." Although that wouldn't answer it any more, because it's not just that he's not starting, but not playing.

Unusual to go from starter to zero minutes in 10 days of practice.

He's playing like garbage. Shouldn't even be able to sit on the bench
JDetroitTitan
Senior

Return to Men's Basketball